Shirataki noodles?

Options
Anyone heard of these? Saw something the other day saying they are 0 calories and made from yams? Haven't really checked into it yet because it sounded too good to be true. Just curious if anyone here has had them and if so, how is the taste/texture?

Replies

• leaw24
    leaw24 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I bought some from my local oriental food shop the other day, was chatting to the shopkeeper there about them. Apparently they're pretty tasteless but they soak up whatever you cook them with - I've not actually cooked them yet but I'm planning to have them for dinner tomorrow with some chicken stock and some vegetables. Apparently they're not so noodle-y, more like pasta texture.... but this is all going on what he said! Shall report back tomorrow on how I find them :tongue:

Edit: Oh and the ones I've got say they are:

Per 100g serving.
    Energy: 2kcal
    Protein: 0.1g
    Fat: 0.1g
    Carbohydrate: 1.9g
    Sodium: 1mg
  • rainbowbuggy
    rainbowbuggy Posts: 320
    Options
    Interested to find out how they tasted - bump
  • IHrtStrwbrries
    Options
    They're chewy and kind of crunchy-like.....at least the ones I had, and they have a distinctive smell. So before cooking them I'd recommend soaking them in water and rinsing them.
  • sbwood888
    sbwood888 Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    They have a fishy smell when you first take them from the package. Rinse WELL. Also, the texture is sort of rubbery.
  • TWEETIE19
    TWEETIE19 Posts: 54
    Options
    I tried them last weekend, and rinse WELL cuz they do smell, but very tasty. Good Luck!!!!
  • Peep_chic
    Peep_chic Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Ive had them. They smell a bit fishy. They dont taste like anything. I like that they are simple to make and no calories.
    I would use them in chinese, thai or japanese dishes not so much as a substitute in italian pasta dishes unless it involves a fish entree. Since the Asian market is a bit far from me I buy from my local supermarket housefoods shirataki noodles which have 40 calories for the whole package. Those look like regular pasta in the same little package as yams but they are a bit fishy too.
  • tinamwilson
    Options
    I haven't tried the ones made from Konjac root yet - only the tofu shirataki. They are tasteless unless you put them with seasonings or some type of sauce. I'm actually having some today with my teriyaki chicken breast for lunch. For being pretty much a free filler food with none of the "devilish" traits of carbs I'm going to continue to buy them.
  • tenniswife7
    Options
    I have been eating these for years and I love them! They basically take on the flavor of whatever they are cooked with so using some sort of sauce is imperative. The best way to get rid of the stinky smell and prepare them is to wash them in collander with cold water, drain, and then put them in a bowl and pop into the microwave for 15 seconds. Smell is gone and they are soft and ready to use!

The calorie content is sooooo insanely low - only 40 calories a bag!
  • Peep_chic
    Peep_chic Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I have been eating these for years and I love them! They basically take on the flavor of whatever they are cooked with so using some sort of sauce is imperative. The best way to get rid of the stinky smell and prepare them is to wash them in collander with cold water, drain, and then put them in a bowl and pop into the microwave for 15 seconds. Smell is gone and they are soft and ready to use!

The calorie content is sooooo insanely low - only 40 calories a bag!

I have always boiled them. I'm gonna try microwaving. Thanx for the tip!
  • puggleperson
    puggleperson Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    Bump :)
  • itnetpro
    itnetpro Posts: 10
    Options
    Love them!

We buy them from local Wegmans supermarket. You can buy them from Mirclenoddle.com or from these folks http://www.asianfoodgrocer.com/. They are packaged in water. If you buy to try make sure you drain the water out of the bag and rinse to get odor out. I prefer pan frying rather then 2 minute boil. Make sure you dry noodles between paper towels after cooking.

Just add sauce and these noodles will absorb the flavor of anything!

Tried spaghetti and flat noodles. Flat noodles are a bit chewy for some but I love them!

Tried them with both red and white sauce and stir fried with ease!

LOVE EM!!!!

John
  • clubfedchef
    Options
    Try them in an egg drop soup. Rinse them off then cut into bite sizes. They are rubbery in texture and tasteless. Good luck.
  • melissaovadare
    melissaovadare Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    bump for ideas
  • christy7322
    Options
    Thanks for the info, I'm going to try some of these suggestions and see what I come up with. By the way, forgive the newbie, but what does BUMP mean on these boards?
  • Froggy1976
    Froggy1976 Posts: 472
    Options
    Any topic that you post in becomes part of your "MyTopics" list so people write bump so that they can easily find the topic later. Some also use it to keep the thread near the top of the list in that category.