Help for Weight Loss

Options
Hi guys,

So I'm currently applying to become a firefighter and so far have succeeded in nearly all the tests. I have an interview to pass in a few weeks and should I pass that then I'll be invited to a medical before being given a job offer (fingers crossed!) I estimate that, should I pass the interview, then I'll be having a medical in approximately 8 - 10 weeks. The problem is I need to loose some weight. My BMI needs to be under 25. I'm 176cm and need to be approximately 77kg for this, I'm currently about 83kg. I have been hitting the gym a lot recently, under the guise of a personal trainer who has been giving me programmes. I have also been using the my fitness pal app to record my diet and have given up alcohol since October now, I'm even making it through the holiday period without drinking! If I don't get my BMI down then I need to have under 23% body fat, I think I'm around 24% now so hopefully I won't have anything to worry about and I'll reach my goals in time, HOWEVER, if I don't I wanted some advice from anyone with experiences please. My two main questions are:
1. Are there any recommended supplements out there to take to assist with weight loss? I read a bit about one called "grenade" but I have no idea what I'm looking at! All sorts of words were flying at me including "thermogenic fat burning"
2. Should I need a last minute boost to help reach my optimum weight has anyone had any short term success with fad diets? A juice diet for example? What fad diets do people recommend? I know fad diets are just that, a fad! And they are not a long term solution but if it helps me for two weeks to reach an ideal weight just to pass the medical then great. After that I can continue with a proper diet and exercise plan. I'm under no illusion as to fad diets and would only use it as a last minute push!

Sorry about the rambling post! Any advice or experience is appreciated!

Replies

• yepitsmiss
    yepitsmiss Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I recommend herbalife
  • myheartsabattleground
    myheartsabattleground Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    ^No one else does.

Open your diary.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Use MFP to reduce your weight at a healthy rate. Cleanses and supplements can be dangerously unhealthy.

You need to be healthy to be a firefighter, with safe and sustainable eating habits.

If it doesn't happen in 8-10 weeks, you can apply later.

You'll be no use fighting a fire or training if you're stuck to the loo, which is what happens with cleanses. ;)

Kind regards.
  • GermanArellano
    GermanArellano Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi guys,

So I'm currently applying to become a firefighter and so far have succeeded in nearly all the tests. I have an interview to pass in a few weeks and should I pass that then I'll be invited to a medical before being given a job offer (fingers crossed!) I estimate that, should I pass the interview, then I'll be having a medical in approximately 8 - 10 weeks. The problem is I need to loose some weight. My BMI needs to be under 25. I'm 176cm and need to be approximately 77kg for this, I'm currently about 83kg. I have been hitting the gym a lot recently, under the guise of a personal trainer who has been giving me programmes. I have also been using the my fitness pal app to record my diet and have given up alcohol since October now, I'm even making it through the holiday period without drinking! If I don't get my BMI down then I need to have under 23% body fat, I think I'm around 24% now so hopefully I won't have anything to worry about and I'll reach my goals in time, HOWEVER, if I don't I wanted some advice from anyone with experiences please. My two main questions are:
    1. Are there any recommended supplements out there to take to assist with weight loss? I read a bit about one called "grenade" but I have no idea what I'm looking at! All sorts of words were flying at me including "thermogenic fat burning"
    2. Should I need a last minute boost to help reach my optimum weight has anyone had any short term success with fad diets? A juice diet for example? What fad diets do people recommend? I know fad diets are just that, a fad! And they are not a long term solution but if it helps me for two weeks to reach an ideal weight just to pass the medical then great. After that I can continue with a proper diet and exercise plan. I'm under no illusion as to fad diets and would only use it as a last minute push!

hello, there are several supplements that are available in the market and online websites to reduce weight. But i would prefer you to opt for a waist cincher. Waist Cincher can be considered one of the best products that effectively deliver results.
    You can buy these cinchers at affordable prices. Make sure you buy the right size waist cincher for you. You can find some good corsets on http://www.waistcinchercentral.com/shapewear/.
    0maetj4c75rz.jpg
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    ...My two main questions are:

Welcome to supplement marketing fraud 101. It's all a bunch of BS and the only place you'll lose anything is from your wallet. If it's legal and you can buy it over the counter, it doesn't work.

...2. Should I need a last minute boost to help reach my optimum weight has anyone had any short term success with fad diets? A juice diet for example? What fad diets do people recommend? I know fad diets are just that, a fad! And they are not a long term solution but if it helps me for two weeks to reach an ideal weight just to pass the medical then great. After that I can continue with a proper diet and exercise plan. I'm under no illusion as to fad diets and would only use it as a last minute push!...

Fad diets, juicing, etc. where you're taking in extremely low calories (and extremely low protein levels) can also cause you to lose a greater percentage of lean body mass (muscle) instead of fat. So even though you lose weight, your bodyfat percentage could be affected in a way you don't want if you're seeking to lower it a few percent. Not a good idea.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Hi guys,

No to both. You will want to keep your strength especially if you want to be a firefighter. Losing quickly with any type of fast is a sure way to lose muscle mass.

As far as supplements, they don't work. Those that "can" work also come with side effects that can actually kill you. Earlier this week I had a patient who died because one of these supplements cause such a high fever, and his body just couldn't handle it. Stay away-far away. They are not worth it.