slow down
    1, 2
    breathe in
    1, 2
    breath out
    1, 2
    Really? I think I was walking faster
    1, 2
    Why hasn't it told me to walk yet? Did I hit pause?

(i'm not very good at this yet)
  • JDMPWR
    JDMPWR Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    I love that i am not the only one questioning my decision to run for the first mile (unless i am still too asleep to realize what i have gotten myself into!!) haha. I run through a pretty lively area, so i guess i do less thinking, more people watching. I love playing guess what breed that dog is and listening to people playing loud music in their cars. :D

This is me running through Wicker Park/Bucktown & Lakeview/Lincoln Park/Wrigleyville
  • leftymac
    leftymac Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I think about how proud I am of myself, that I'm a beast, and that I'm unstoppable. That keeps me going every single time.

Considering that 5 months ago, I barely left the couch and now:
    -I can run 5 miles without taking a break
    -I ran 10 miles (with 3 short walking breaks) last weekend
    -I'm doing a half-marathon in October

I am a beast.

When I'm not thinking about that, I listen to the rhythm of my feet hitting the ground, or I sing along to whatever I'm listening to.
  • Temporalia
    Temporalia Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    My best runs are when I space out, with music, appreciate the beauty of nature around me...other than that, if I start thinking about what's bothering me, I don't have a good run.

A good run to me is a form of meditation and I am so relaxed and calm after.
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    Well I come up with little "fantasies" in my head of how I am going to meet the man of my dreams while out doing this and he better not care that I am sweaty. If he does then he just better move out of my way and oh hahah I just passed that Chicago White Sox/ Yankee/ Bears fan because they just can't handle it. Okay back to the fantasy of how I am going to get swept off my feet oh wait don't trip don't trip don't trip. Where was I again oh yeah the guy of my dreams...

I have pretty much had the same thoughts during walks/runs since I was 15. :blushing:
  • DarthCeltic
    DarthCeltic Posts: 1,274 Member
    Options
    "im nauseous.. im nauseous.. im nauseous.." ok thats rockos modern life.. i think "this hurts, this hurts.. this hurts.." then i stop thinking..
  • SLaw4215
    SLaw4215 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I'm running at a local middle school track lately, so often the thought process is:

"7 laps left, 1/8th of the way there... this lap is almost done... O.K. just this straightaway and this lap is done and then you'll be 1/4th the way done... 25%, YES! I can do this 3 more times, no problem... Watch out for that rock!! How's my pace? Can I keep it up? Sure... My feet hurt... Lap 3 is almost done... almost 37.5% of the way there... that's over 1/3rd!!! I got this! Owww my calves hurt... Suck it up, KICK THIS PIG!!!"
    hahahahahah I think we were twins and separated at birth... You are hillarious!!!! :happy: :tongue:
  • mrmarler
    mrmarler Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Because I live in a small town on the Oklahoma -Texas boarder and lots of people dont take care of their animals or they just let them run around the neighborhood (Which is against the law) I think about how I hope that none of them are out, since when they are I have to protect Hogan (my boxer and best running buddy ever) and myself if they are vicious or I have to take them back home to their house, with a smile I have to say yeah, "we run every morning about this time, just didnt want YOUR dog to follow us and get lost" as I walk off I mutter 'not that you would care because you are not watching them anyway...then I usually think about what i want out of my life and about my goals, then about every 5 minutes i wonder if Hogan is too hot and put my bottle of water down his back so he stays nice and cool. I also talk to God a lot, I feel like in the morning I get his full attention and I get to watch him wake up the world!

WOW I really love running in the morning.
  • helenium
    helenium Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    I carry out mental arithmetic over and over. It's usually something like this: "If I run 8 km, and I go at 6 mph an hour, how long will it take me? 6 * 1.6 = 9.6 km... 8 / 9.6 = erm.... 80 / 96... 20 / 24...5 / 6... 0.83... * 60 = 50 minutes! Phew!" (I never run this fast :( )
  • TheGoktor
    TheGoktor Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    It's not what I used to think about, but I think about my cousin Bruce, who was like a brother to me, and was a running partner for half marathon training for several years. He passed away on Friday at only 49. I can't imagine I'll ever be able to run again without thinking of him.

My sincerest condolences to you and your family. I have no words to offer which will ease your pain but please know I am sending virtual hugs your way. I realise it sounds completely inadequate but it is meant from the heart. xx
  • dragonflydi
    dragonflydi Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    "don't pass out, don't pass out, don't pass out....."

Ditto!

That or I wonder if other runners on the trail think I'm some type of perv for pulling my HRM chest strap back up and "rubbing my nipples" when I'm pressing the contacts back down on my skin.

Bwahaha! Now I'm worried ... I just got an HRM with a chest strap and haven't been able to run using it yet - not until tomorrow. Maybe I won't adjust the chest strap until I stumble past a restroom LOL!!
  • Arizona_JR
    Arizona_JR Posts: 275
    Options
    I carry out mental arithmetic over and over. It's usually something like this: "If I run 8 km, and I go at 6 mph an hour, how long will it take me? 6 * 1.6 = 9.6 km... 8 / 9.6 = erm.... 80 / 96... 20 / 24...5 / 6... 0.83... * 60 = 50 minutes! Phew!" (I never run this fast :( )

HAHAHA!!!
    Same here.... I'm constantly doing math in my head (from my Engineering days I guess)... calculating pace, estimated finish times, heart rate averages, solving for the area under the curve... all kinds of weird stuff. :smile:
  • dragonflydi
    dragonflydi Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    1, 2
    breathe in
    1, 2
    breathe out
    1, 2
    breathe in
    1, 2, 3
    I CANT BREATHE!
    breathe in
    breathe out
    ok, back to breathing right
    1, 2
    breathe in
    1, 2
    CRAP! My heart's going 198 bpm
    slow down
    slow down
    1, 2
    breathe in
    1, 2
    breath out
    1, 2
    Really? I think I was walking faster
    1, 2
    Why hasn't it told me to walk yet? Did I hit pause?

(i'm not very good at this yet)

I got quite a giggle out of this ... I'm certain this exact thing has gone through my head a time or two as well :)
  • katt742
    katt742 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Are we there yet.

HAHAHHAHA!!
  • Kirsty_UK
    Kirsty_UK Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I have an internal monologue that goes something like this....

"Breathe, dont start off too fast, how's my knee, hmm, knee feels ok today, blister? no, shoes not rubbing yet, ok, keep breathing, dont panic, you can do this, you will do this, ok, you're paniccing because you're worried you wont do it, but you know you will, so dont panic, nothing hurts yet, see, you're legs aren't that tired at all, you're still running, see? you're still running? why panic? how far through this interval? must only be a minute to go now, dont look, dont look "

repeat the don't panic and clock monologue ad inifinitum

then it gets too the last jog interval of the programme at which point it goes

"this is the last interval, why didn't you push harder on the previous ones, this doesn't feel like enough exercise yet, shall we do another jog/walk interval? yeah ok, go on then, ok, if we do one more cycle, how many mins walk/jog is that to input into mfp?"

"right, you're on an extra jog/walk cycle, that's more than you set out to do! wow how good is that, you're doing more than the programme said and you're still jogging, ok, shoe rubbing a bit now, knee a little sore now, but even if you stop NOW, you've still done more than you aimed too, so just keep going, stop anytime you want to"

then I keep going until I do another interval cycle, then add an extra 10 mins walk cooldown at the end and come home grinning :)

Would be a massive nsv for me if I actually forgot about focusing on breathing and not panicing enough to think about something different on my way round!!!
  • katt742
    Options
    Can people see my stomach flopping over my shorts? Is my cellulite still flopping or stationary? Damn my boobs hurt! Oh,pretty flower!

LMAO!!!
  • hail87666
    hail87666 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    The treadmills at my gym overlook the snow slope I board on. I'm relatively new to it so I like to watch the freestylers. I also have my ipod on and think of all the memories connected to the tracks on there
  • katt742
    Options
    I listen to music...and envision myself singing the songs in a club or something...

I run in the cemetary so I also think...."if i die here...no one will know" lol. And then I think "i have a cramp, I should stop before it gets worse. NO dont stop you pansy keep going...Jeez your a wuss" Then its "I cant breathe I wanna go home...why is my heartrate only 160?? Seriously...I just want to go lift weights. I hate this, I hate this, I hate this...."
  • SarahLovesCheesecake
    Options
    :laugh: Shagging:laugh: