I gained 9lb in two weeks....surly not!

Options
Over Christmas my weight increased at an alarming rate. Did I REALLY consume 31500 calories more than I needed to maintain a stable weight? Of course I didn't....nowhere near! What happened?
I didn't diet but I overindulged a bit, but to put that weight on I must have consumed 53900 calories in 14 days. That is 3850 calories per day....that is nonsense!
Any ideas why this has happened?

Replies

• RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Water weight due to increased salt levels, food waste weight due to extra being in your body. All manner of things, drink more fluids and it will come off in a few days leaving behind your true gain if any.
  • ultrahoon
    ultrahoon Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Water weight due to increased salt levels, food waste weight due to extra being in your body. All manner of things, drink more fluids and it will come off in a few days leaving behind your true gain if any.

This. Plus you may well have gone really high carb over Christmas (roast potatoes are yummmy!) which causes extra glycogen weight (don't worry, it's still temporary water weight.)
  • ukrgajka
    ukrgajka Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I may have an answer. This is called "food and water weight". You have probably consumed more carbs (and sodium) than your body is accustomed to - especially if you were on a diet before the holidays- so those extra carbs are making your body retain a lot of water. This is the reason why we lose so much "water weight" during the first week of the diet. Our body gets rid of carb supplies first, so with them the water weight goes to. Thus, I assume you would lose much of it in a week or so (depending on your diet), when you naturally get rid of water, etc. The good news : this is not fat (3500 calories rule) and is much more easy to shift :)
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Yup, I'm 4lbs over my lowest recorded weight and 1/2lbs up what is my usual water weight/natural fluctuation margin. But I know I didn't eat enough for that to be 2lbs of fat. I did eat a lot more carbs and pre-packaged food though which is typically high in salt and I have done two pretty hard core work outs the last couple of days which all leads to the scale being up but it's not true weight gain. I just retain water like a well watered camel.

Breathe, keep logging and doing what you do and it will come off again.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    It'll be water weight.... relax, give it a few more days and you'll see that all is OK :smile:
  • JenHuedy
    JenHuedy Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Same issue here. Indulged on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. Gained about 5 pounds in 2 days. Got right back to my calorie goal, and weight still kept going UP the next two days! Almost 10 pounds total. Finally going back down again the last couple days. Weight gain is definitely not linear, just like weight loss!
  • natboosh69
    natboosh69 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    That is 3850 calories per day....that is nonsense!

Sounds about right for me over the holidays tbh! But yeah it's probably just water weight, I wouldn't worry :)
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    Sodium/salt. High amounts in turkey, ham, cream of mushroom soup, even a simple slice of pizza can have 900 grams. Start tracking sodium.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,220 Member
    Options
    Water weight. Drink lots of water, stick to your calorie goal, and it will come off in probably a week give or take a few days.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Over Christmas my weight increased at an alarming rate. Did I REALLY consume 31500 calories more than I needed to maintain a stable weight? Of course I didn't....nowhere near! What happened?
    I didn't diet but I overindulged a bit, but to put that weight on I must have consumed 53900 calories in 14 days. That is 3850 calories per day....that is nonsense!

What would make up the "didn't diet but I overindulged a bit"? I agree most likely water weight, but consuming 3,850 calories a day, especially when many of the traditional holiday foods are calorie dense would not be a stretch.
  • PatriciaAnneDavies
    Options
    I hope you are all correct...eeek! I hope it comes off quickly.
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    It is certainly possible you gained some fat weight over that time period, but 9 pounds of it is highly unlikely.

However, if you've consistently been at a deficit, then you've had less food waste in your system. Even going back up to maintenance for the week would probably have you seeing a gain due to eating more.

Add in the factors of more carbs and/or sodium than usual, which means more water retention, and you've easily explained the majority of the weight gain.

Assuming you're back to your normal routine, give yourself at least a week "on plan" to see if you've gained anything.

And don't panic if you did gain - these holiday times are meant to be enjoyed. It's the other weeks throughout the year that can really do you in ;)

~Lyssa
  • tomy2tone01
    tomy2tone01 Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Yep 8 pounds for me. I like the homebred goods. My downfall. The goodies ar almost gone. My skinny kids and my fellow co workers are enjoying the remaining fat food. I am on my way to correct what I did. I am not worried but have just learned that I need to keep the coarse going. I started at 349 pounds. I am at 267. I was 259. My goal is 235. I am 6ft 4 inches and wide build.
    My goal is 235 this summer. I will succeed. Need to get back on the clean eating, protein smoothies and plenty of water.
    We all can do it. Time to get back on track. Don't look behind and worry about the past. Look to the future!!

That is my motivational speech for myself. (ok maybe some of you will hear my rant) Follow it if you want!!

Good luck!!!

Tom
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    edited December 2015
    Options
    You need to read this great post >> http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10303793/who-gained-weight-during-the-holidays-i-have-a-solution#latest

Edited!
    Oops someone already posted this link!! Oh well!
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    Options
    @tomy2tone01 great attitude! That's the kind of attitude that'll get you results - all the best! :smiley:
  • PatriciaAnneDavies
    PatriciaAnneDavies Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I have read the ecellent post and I have taken notice of the people who say to drink more. I might have done this wrong though. I drank 4 pints of water today thinking it would go straight through. Two hours later I have only wee'd out 2 pints.
    I feel bloated and fuzzy headed and wish I hadn't done it.
  • Mezzie1024
    Mezzie1024 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I gained six in that time frame and then immediately lost four on my first day of reasonable eating. The other two are likely real weight gain as I did eat quite a lot.

That said, I could easily eat 4,000 calories extra a day if my budget allowed for it. I love food. Luckily, I have never had the funds nor the time to eat yummy things all day outside of the holiday eating frenzy. :)
  • tomy2tone01
    tomy2tone01 Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    It's all about the attitude. Without it there is no motivation to get it done. DRINK THE WATER. Don't forget 1/2 your body weight in ounces.
  • clairec230787
    clairec230787 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I managed to gain 8lbs over Christmas period, but after restarting my calorie deficit on news years day, drinking loads of water and exercising (running, cardio) I have lost it all and then some (now down to my lowest weight). The body is a boggling device.