TRX Suspension Trainer

Options
I just noticed my gym has these TRX straps- I saw a few people using them and was VERY intrigued, so I gave it a shot (copying what I saw them did). Have done a little research, just wondering if anyone here is using them or thinks they are a great workout.

I'm in the US right now but live abroad in a place where it is very difficult for me to get to a gym or workout outdoors (as a woman there I can't leave the house without being fully covered, and there are security concerns). So, I'm looking for things that would provide a great workout I can do at home if I need to.

Anyone use this or have thoughts about it?

Replies

• rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,122 Member
    Options
    Strap workouts are some of my favorite. I use Jungle Gym XT straps personally. I prefer them to TRX. The best part is they are very portable.
  • blondieabroad
    blondieabroad Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Strap workouts are some of my favorite. I use Jungle Gym XT straps personally. I prefer them to TRX. The best part is they are very portable.

Do you have any websites or apps you use to get tips on the actual exercises...it is all new to me so I'd love any great workouts. Do you supplement this with cardio or other strength training, or do you have an entire workout that you do using just the straps?

I will definitely look into the Jungle Gym straps- thanks for the tip!
  • dmkoenig
    dmkoenig Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I have the TRX Pro Model which is typically the one you find in gyms. The Basic model is essentially the same but the Pro model has nicer handles. I travel every week in my job and I can easily pack the TRX in my carry-on suitcase and use it in my hotel room. I really like the equipment and workouts quite a bit. The straps provide a wide range of options, from easy to very challenging movements and they are designed to very quickly adjust length as necessary so there is little setup needed between exercises. The straps enable you to progressively try harder movements like one legged squats since you have handles to assist your balance and engage arms. If you buy them through the TRXtrainer.com site you should get access to a number of workout programs but there are also a number of routines posted on Youtube.

I usually use TRX for more strength training oriented workouts rather than cardio but I do incorporate HIIT movements like mountain climbers which will gas me pronto.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options
    IMO, the best cost effective piece of gym equipment you can have since it's portable and you can do several exercises with it just about anywhere you can strap it too.
    It doesn't have to be TRX either. I bought 3 WOSS ones for $100 (group fitness outdoor training) and that's still much much less than TRX for a decent suspension trainer.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    TRX will kick your butt!! Every time my trainer pulls out the TRX, I know I'm going to be sore the next day...and I've been lifting weights for 3+ years now.
  • dmkoenig
    dmkoenig Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    FYI Right now TRXtraining.com has a 20% off everything using code LEAN.
  • belinda_73
    belinda_73 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    there's actually a TRX app in the playstore. I've downloaded it and it gives you clear pictures of upper body, lower body, etc. if you want a workout, you have to pay a fee, but I just look at the exercises.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    TRX has similar attributes to aerial conditioning which is awesome and I love it