I want to start weight lifting but don't know where to start

Options
Any advice??

Replies

• SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    The internet is filled with advice, videos, how to's, pictures, instructions....

Or you could try a plan written to meet your needs. Here is one example from MFP's partner...

http://home.trainingpeaks.com/products/trainingplans/plans/6-week-beginner-strength-training-lean-body-plan

There are many, many more like that.

http://www.jerseygirltalk.com/2013/10/26/weightlifting-strength-training-routine-workout-women/

Or you could use a trainer at a gym.

Most will tell you to ease into it which is good advice.
  • araromi2
    araromi2 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I was really hoping I didnt have to buy anything
  • michelegraysonbay
    Options
    Thank you
  • scopetrek
    scopetrek Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I just started lifting weights using www.muscleandfitness.com they have free workout plans for everyone including beginners, men and women. If you don't have lots of equipment like me use body weight exercises.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    Have you looked into new rules of lifting ? Or stronglifts? Both are good programs that will walk you through .
  • BoiNeezy
    BoiNeezy Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Depends on ur goals add me if u like
  • SconnieCat
    SconnieCat Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    thorsmom01 wrote: »
    Have you looked into new rules of lifting ? Or stronglifts? Both are good programs that will walk you through .

I highly recommend Stronglifts. There is a killer app as well.

Besides muscleandfitness.com which another poster recommended, I've also used BodyBuilding.com. Great personalized plans and a helpful and welcoming community. And... because I love tracking my workouts and weight lifted/reps with my phone when I workout... they've got an app as well.

Good luck, OP.
  • Of_Monsters_and_Meat
    Of_Monsters_and_Meat Posts: 1,022 Member
    Options
    Start from the ground and lift up.

I second StrongLifts 5x5. Its a simple linear progressive program.
    Video of the first day workout.

https://youtu.be/EP2g3Sj3qSw
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Third vote for Stronglifts! You only have to learn 5 exercises. I do it three times a week, about 45 minutes per session, and I'm seeing fabulous results. Plus the app makes it really easy to keep track of where I am at.

stronglifts.com
  • deanadimples
    deanadimples Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I've read New Rules for Lifting and Burn the Fat Feed the Muscle

Personally I loved BTFFTM way better. It's a great learning tool for choosing foods, how to detect if you are losing muscle mass or fat and what to do with your food/exercise depending on what's happening. I do the full body workout 3x a week. I made a lot of notes from it that I have used a ton.

Bodybuilding.com has good info too. They have a thread for beginners I got a ton of good info from.

Nere fitness can be good too.
  • deanadimples
    deanadimples Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Sorry... *nerd fitness

Darn auto cucumber
  • tkfunkyfrogg
    tkfunkyfrogg Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Sorry... *nerd fitness

Darn auto cucumber

Haha! Thanks Deana for the recommendation. I have heard of the others but not the BTFFTM.

EXRX.NET is a great site as well for designing all sorts of programs with templates and explanations for all sorts of exercises.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Start with the google...Strong Lifts 5x5, Starting Strength. Go get New Rules of Lifting for Women (great read). Watch videos, ask questions.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,906 Member
    Options
    Any advice??

Do you have a gym membership? Take a few sessions with a personal trainer. This is your best bet to learn proper form. I cringe at the bad form I see at the gym every time I go.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,906 Member
    Options
    araromi2 wrote: »

Sure, some of the books mentioned may be available from your library system. Maybe someone will come along with a link to the you-are-your-own-gym / convict-style fitness programs that require just bodyweight. Plus you can make weights out of household items - I'm sure someone has a link for that.
  • rteam2
    rteam2 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have gotten back to weightlifting recent;y using this free program. The site has a lot of free information.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/bill-phillips-back-to-fit-12-week-trainer.html
  • tkfunkyfrogg
    tkfunkyfrogg Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    araromi2 wrote: »

Sure, some of the books mentioned may be available from your library system. Maybe someone will come along with a link to the you-are-your-own-gym / convict-style fitness programs that require just bodyweight. Plus you can make weights out of household items - I'm sure someone has a link for that.

I just got a couple of the books mentioned here through my library so good point! And you can find limitless information free online (not all of it credible though). I think even the supplemental apps to the workouts listed here are free.

I did a training session with a PT just focusing on my form. I had a workout setup but needed someone with knowledge and experience to fix my form. It isn't a requirement but it certainly saved me from injury. Many gyms have up to 3 free sessions with a PT so that is something to look into. I know Planet Fitness (haters, I get it, but please use the designated forum to voice your dissent to this) is $10/month and has free training classes although never having done one can't voice an educated opinion about it.

Ultimately it will come down to how much leg work (figuratively speaking) you want to do to change yourself. The more you research from legit sources, the better prepared you will be. Ask questions!

Good luck.