Hello, after heavy weight loss tips please :)

Options
gizzmansl2
gizzmansl2 Posts: 2 Member
edited December 2015 in Introduce Yourself
Hi, I didnt realise there is such a vast forum on here with such inspirational stories and great tips so ive come to say hi as I will become more active in here and am after a few starting tips.

I weigh about 300lbs and ideally my goal at the moment is 200 so ive a way to go. I have a full time job where i am a house cook so on my feet all day and i walk to and from work (1 hour a day) so im lightly active i guess and i am prepared to try diets/healthy ideas as i struggle to eat breakfast and have a tendancy to snack a little after dinner.

Have you any tips to get me on my way or what i can add to aid my weight loss?

Thanks a million everyone and can't wait to get involved.

Regards Chris.

Replies

• sheermomentum
    sheermomentum Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    Hello!

Don't overcomplicate things. Just set up your profile, get a food scale if you don't already have one, and start logging. You already know how to cook AND you walk every day so you're two up on alot of people. You can use the recipe builder here as you makeover your own recipes to lighten up the calories :) . Don't worry about breakfast if its not your thing - meal timing is not important. I usually skip breakfast and save a few hundred calories for an after-dinner snack as well and it works out just fine. Good luck with everything!
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    Hello!

Don't overcomplicate things. Just set up your profile, get a food scale if you don't already have one, and start logging. You already know how to cook AND you walk every day so you're two up on alot of people. You can use the recipe builder here as you makeover your own recipes to lighten up the calories :) . Don't worry about breakfast if its not your thing - meal timing is not important. I usually skip breakfast and save a few hundred calories for an after-dinner snack as well and it works out just fine. Good luck with everything!

I agree !!

Get yourself a food scale op and learn how to weigh all your solids and measure all your liquids. This will help you know how many calories you are really consuming each day. It is a pain In the butt at first but will really help so its worth it. and it does get easier over time. Just remember, for weight loss all that's needed is a calorie deficit. Eat less then you burn and you'll lose weight.best of luck to you !
  • NewSue52
    NewSue52 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    It has been important for me to weigh, measure and log my food. Planning what to eat is key. And ridding the house of temptation helps. I also find that just keeping trigger food out of sight prevents melt downs. I am an evening snacker but I plan for it. Legal snacks are available and can be eaten as long as I stay within my calorie goal and my macros. Keep your food interesting if you can. I like to cook and I like to keep things tasty

I know many people complain about how complicated it is but the reality is that it is not as difficult as being overweight. The long term health benefits such as avoiding diabetes, lowering blood pressure and cutting your risk of cancer make this worthwhile. Being able to fit into attractive clothing also helps.

You can do it, just be patient. It is better in the long run to build sustainable habits than to crash diet. Keep on posting and logging. MFP really makes a difference

As I read other places on this website - Patience + Persistence = Success
  • gramarye
    gramarye Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    thorsmom01 wrote: »
    Hello!

I agree !!

Get yourself a food scale op and learn how to weigh all your solids and measure all your liquids. This will help you know how many calories you are really consuming each day. It is a pain In the butt at first but will really help so its worth it. and it does get easier over time. Just remember, for weight loss all that's needed is a calorie deficit. Eat less then you burn and you'll lose weight.best of luck to you !

This. Owning a food scale is the best thing for really knowing how much you're consuming with the least amount of error. And while what you eat matters in terms of overall health and nutrition, all that matters for weight loss is the almighty calorie. In my experience, it's easier to start off just restricting on what you already eat, and then start branching out and making small changes to improve your

Also, I spent a couple of weeks when I started just logging without restricting to practice my logging and to see how much I was eating and when. (I tend to emotional eating, so it helped to identify patterns.)
  • gizzmansl2
    gizzmansl2 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tips guys and I have brought a nice scale and still have a few bits from xmas left over so next week i will start to log my food and will look for recipes on here, thanks