Daily reminder: I hate being fat because....

Options
This morning I worked out on the elliptical for 30 minutes and felt great afterwards! Felt strong and proud of myself for dragging this big ol' butt out of bed at 4am and going to the gym. But then, one glance in the mirror and I was instantly deflated. I saw my reflection and all its chunkiness and started thinking the same dumb negative thoughts that have been sabotaging my progress for years. But this morning, I put that mean voice in my head on mute! Today, I decided to document each day with a reminder of why I hate being fat and will read it when I'm needing some personal motivation! Today is gonna be a good day!

Replies

• lytl7921
    lytl7921 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Today will be a good day! We have to remember working out and eating right can be hard sometimes but being uncomfortable/unhealthy in your own skin is harder.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    If that helps you towards your goal then why not!

I shout at myself when I hi tough parts of a work out, I am my own mean voice to push myself harder.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Whatever works, but I found that taking control of my health and fitness by eating well (and calorie appropriate for my weight loss goals) and, especially, getting into a good workout/training schedule made me feel a lot better about myself even before I was anywhere near my weight loss goal. I find it more motivating to focus on what I can do and want to do and where I want to be than to look at myself with disgust or loathing. In fact, that was always a bad source of motivation for me.
  • darcyb1975
    darcyb1975 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the comments! I'm putting myself out there to break out of my comfort zone (uncomfort zone really) and will take it one day at a time. Got my 2016 goals set and I'm determined to stay focused!

• llbrixon
    llbrixon Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I wish my mean voice was talking to me. I think that voice is on mute until relatives leave and I can get back to losing and get serious and focus. I hate when I see pictures of myself because I do look very overweight. My mirror in the bathroom lies!
  • sherbear702
    sherbear702 Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of people use negative self talk as a source of motivation and it really works against us. I've recently started using positive words for myself instead of negative ones.

Strength, commitment, self-worth, beauty, stuff like that.
  • jodielarms
    jodielarms Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I'm not going to tell you that your strategy won't work for you, but it would never work for me. I have found recently that when I use negative things it damages me more. Instead of telling myself I will no longer have ice cream, I change it to something that is positive and an I will. For example I will work out for 45 minutes today.
    For me saying I can't have something automatically makes my brain crave it and obsess over it. I think that's just human nature.
    On the flip side the strongest motivator for people is usually fear. So posting a picture of yourself at a very heavy weight on the fridge may help. I couldn't do that but it may work for you or others.
    Good luck with your journey! :)
  • Suuzanne37
    Suuzanne37 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I believe you have to love yourself at each point in your journey. There is no "perfect"; so even when we move from point A to point B weight wise; we will still be "perfectly imperfect".
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Whatever works, but I found that taking control of my health and fitness by eating well (and calorie appropriate for my weight loss goals) and, especially, getting into a good workout/training schedule made me feel a lot better about myself even before I was anywhere near my weight loss goal. I find it more motivating to focus on what I can do and want to do and where I want to be than to look at myself with disgust or loathing. In fact, that was always a bad source of motivation for me.

Agreed.