Can I really Eat Whatever I WANT?

Options

Replies

• RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    At 5'4" 125lb, if you are struggling to eat at a deficit (i.e. not losing weight) and aren't happy with your current look, maybe it is time to shift priorities. Instead of focusing on weight, try lifting weights and recomping your body.

Also, as others noted, you can't look at the daily scale reading. You have to look at the overall trend. Even losing at 2lb/week I've had 14 day stretches where I go up and down over the same 0.5lb. Fluctuations in water weight are significantly larger than the 0.15lb of fat you lost over the last 24hr.

Cosign
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,136 Member
    Options
    Just a note, water weight can hang around for a week or more. Give things time. If you put it on in the last two weeks, it will likely come off once you get into the new year and things settle down to normal.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    If you are suddenly eating out, especially fast food, more than normal, the chances of you getting more than your usual sodium and ending up with excess water weight are high. I wouldn't be too concerned, just try to get back into eating more foods that you have prepared yourself.

ETA: to answer the original question. Yes, you can lose weight eating whatever you want. You just cannot eat however much of it you want.
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    It is not a stupid question, and a pretty common misconception that you need to eat certain foods to lose weight. As others have stated, while there are benefits to watching macros, and overall health requires a balanced diet..weight-loss is really all about a calorie deficit. There are many ways to accomplish that, but eating less is almost always a major part of the puzzle.
    A plateau usually implies a lengthier period of time. I wouldn't give it a second thought. The weight will come off. Holidays are tough, lots of snacks and big meals can cause problems for everyone. However one bad day alone will not make you gain a pound.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    At 5'4" 125lb, if you are struggling to eat at a deficit (i.e. not losing weight) and aren't happy with your current look, maybe it is time to shift priorities. Instead of focusing on weight, try lifting weights and recomping your body.

Also, as others noted, you can't look at the daily scale reading. You have to look at the overall trend. Even losing at 2lb/week I've had 14 day stretches where I go up and down over the same 0.5lb. Fluctuations in water weight are significantly larger than the 0.15lb of fat you lost over the last 24hr.

+2

Lifting will make your body smaller at a higher weight.

I've been the weight I am before, when I was young and single.

My body was not this small, and I've had 2 children since then.
  • toe1226
    toe1226 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    While you can eat whatever you want and the number on the scale will go down, I find that the image in the mirror is affected by the type of food you put in your body. I like the look of my body better when I'm eating high protein, and lots of vegetables. Lots of sugars and sodiums leave me looking "soft" regardless of how low the number on the scale goes.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

This. OP you are already at a healthy weight for your height and looking at your diary for the past several days, it looks like you are only eating one meal, usually restaurant food, and not even 1200 calories a lot of those days? I agree with others that it is likely sodium retention from the fast food - but seriously, is that all you are eating? 1 meal a day? That doesn't seem very healthy or satisfying.

I think as others have said, focusing on strength training would be good for you and your body image, however, I also think you need to focus on eating more nutrient dense foods. Yes you can lose weight eating whatever you want, however, most people who advocate this approach eat a primarily nutrient dense diet with the occasional treat or fast food meal.

• whaddupw8loss
    whaddupw8loss Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Anything that has a calorie deficit will presumably result in weight loss. However, it has been proven that if you eat healthy vs unhealthy, consuming the same amount of calories in each diet, you will lose more from eating healthy. BUT, each will result in weight loss.
  • ultrahoon
    ultrahoon Posts: 467 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Anything that has a calorie deficit will presumably result in weight loss. However, it has been proven that if you eat healthy vs unhealthy, consuming the same amount of calories in each diet, you will lose more from eating healthy. BUT, each will result in weight loss.

This has not been proven at all.

Unless you're talking about going low carb and dropping water weight. Calories for sustained weight loss, nutrition for health.
  • leanne0627
    leanne0627 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    has anyone seen that Harvard study that showed more fat loss for those eating healtheir and less carbs then just calorie restriction. I know I've seen it but cant seem to find it now. No idea hoe accurate but if i recal the study correctly the Harvard scientists seemed to think that food quality did matter a bit.
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    katiely95 wrote: »
    If I cook my own food, I do. I don't usually weigh restaurant stuff, if I'm out. I just go by whatever the calorie amount says!

Sounds like a combination of inaccurate calorie counting (underestimating) and not an accurate count of your exercise calories (overestimating). Toss in the sodium from fast food/quick food - as others have mentioned - and water retention adds to the "stall".
  • wfarrens
    wfarrens Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I didn't read through everyone's comments, so this may have already been said. One thing that stood out to me about your fast food diet is that fast food tends to be very high in sodium, and high levels of sodium cause your body to retain more water weight. Try eating a low sodium diet for a few days and see if your weight drops. Keep in mind that as a woman, your body will retain extra water weight during certain times of the month, so that could be a contributing factor as well.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    leanne0627 wrote: »
    has anyone seen that Harvard study that showed more fat loss for those eating healtheir and less carbs then just calorie restriction. I know I've seen it but cant seem to find it now. No idea hoe accurate but if i recal the study correctly the Harvard scientists seemed to think that food quality did matter a bit.

Sad to say, every study that has been advertised as "Harvard scientists found out..." I've seen on here so far was pretty bad or didn't say what the articles claimed.
  • ultrahoon
    Options

Sad to say, every study that has been advertised as "Harvard scientists found out..." I've seen on here so far was pretty bad or didn't say what the articles claimed.

It's true, people hear the word 'Harvard' and assume the school imparts some magical ability to never be wrong or suffer from bias. The simple truth is very very smart scientists make mistakes all the time. I personally blame the 'publish or perish' mentality in academia.
  • whaddupw8loss
    Options
    ultrahoon wrote: »

Unless you're talking about going low carb and dropping water weight. Calories for sustained weight loss, nutrition for health.

Well, actually, if you do a little research on the interwebs, or open up a college textbook based on nutrition, from a child development course, to a actual health and fitness course, you will find that a calorie isn't just a calorie, and the different types break down differently. I mean, actually there is probably high school texts that contain this information.
  • ultrahoon
    edited December 2015
    Options

Well, actually, if you do a little research on the interwebs, or open up a college textbook based on nutrition, from a child development course, to a actual health and fitness course, you will find that a calorie isn't just a calorie, and the different types break down differently. I mean, actually there is probably high school texts that contain this information.

Breaking down differently does not automatically mean more or less weight loss.

If you truly believe that different types of foods of the exact same calorie value provide different sustained fat loss (not water weight etc) then I encourage you to provide 2+ peer reviewed high quality research studies that state it.
  • whaddupw8loss
    Options

Breaking down differently does not automatically mean more or less weight loss.

If you truly believe that different types of foods of the exact same calorie value provide different sustained fat loss (not water weight etc) then I encourage you to provide 2+ peer reviewed high quality research studies that state it.

Surely can, and while I'm doing that...why don't you perform a self-experiment.
  • katiely95
    katiely95 Posts: 63 Member
    Options

Your food diary reveals this isn't quite true, there are homemade chicken breasts with no weight noted, cups of veg and other things instead of weights for them, and a few generic entries instead of specific brands. Tightening up your logging may well reveal you are eating more than you think, because you are logging very very few calories. You seem to be very concerned with eating too much (you have many 900 calorie days with quick adds that round it up to 1k), but 1k is a rather low amount of calories for someone who doesn't eat very nutritionally dense food

It doesn't really look like your food diary is very honest and accurate, but if it is, then what you are doing is unlikely to be sustainable, and could impact your health. Nettting under 1k calories consistently per day is a not a good idea.[/quote]

My diary is what I have been eating. I've logged every single thing that I've put into my mouth, even if I dont completely weigh it. The chicken breast you are refering to Is a day when I went out and ate a thai place, and I'm guessing, yet again. If you go back to days where i have clearly cooked, then it IS mostly weighed out...

The reason I used the quickcalories to at last put it up to 1000 is because I assume that Iate more than what I said... so that always makes up for it.

I've already lost almost 30 lbs on this website and was able to keep it On mateninece (+ or - 3 lbs) for almost 7 months. I just decided to come back and finally lose that bit of weight, because I'm still not happy with myself. What I did back then, seems to work.

Lastly I'm currently in an 8 week strength training and HI IT program, to try to tone up, like you have said. But I still want to have a similar BMI to my significant other, which is 19.5. That has been my ultimate goal.

Hopefully this clears up any questions any of you have asked....
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options

Logically speaking, if two diets were the same calorie count but one diet was significantly higher in protein (lets say 10% derived from protein vs 40%) I would suspect the higher protein diet would result in more weight loss due to the higher TEF from the protein. I don't know how long you would need to eat at the higher protein level to notice a statistically significant difference.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

Carbs break down to glucose and fructose, protein to amino acids and fats to fatty acids. They then get used to fuel your body, repair muscles and help you stay healthy. If you have an excess of any one of them, it will result in fat gain or glycogen storage. Vice versa, having less calories than you need will result in fat loss. Your body is very efficient with this kind of stuff, it wastes as little as possible. That's why we've survived this far through living in all imaginable climates, with more or less food of all kinds of compositions available.