I stepped on the scale this morning and kind of freaked out

Options
Hi everyone, I'm 19/F and just wanted to share my story so I can say "well I'm finally doing it, I've announced it so now I can't quit!"

I used to use MFP a couple years back, then off and on again. Honestly the app was a big factor in helping me lose about 60 lbs. I'm not sure what happened, but I moved out and with my boyfriend a few months ago(this being my first time living away from family/out of nest) and suddenly, I went from 140 to 170... Yuck. Combined this with starting(and promptly dropping out of) college, having to find a new job, and being on two forms of birth control at once and it's easy to see why I'm back to being pudgy.

I've only recently realized how big I'm actually getting, my stomach sticks out so much more now, my pants are tighter and I can't wear my small shirts anymore... My face resembles a vanilla moonpie nowadays. A pretty moonpie but nevertheless...

I suppose I wanted to finally get back in the habit of watching what I eat, trying to stay away from carbs and tracking what stopping my BC pills does to my numbers. Why I'm so concerned about my birth control: I'm on the arm implant and had to take a BC pill along with it to control irregularities, but due to personal reasons I've stopped the pill and am now dealing with terrible withdrawal from it.

So I suppose friends would make this thing cooler, it'd be nice to be friends with girls who have also had weight gain issues with BC, and people around my weight that are trying to lose! I don't care at all if your diary is private or not(that's still a feature, right?) I'm just looking for anyone to be my friend and help encourage me to lose all this fat again!

Well it felt good to get this out, I hope it isn't just another millionth intro thread that will be cast into the sea without any notice. Thanks for reading!

Replies

• marlown
    marlown Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Hi! If you don't get at least 10 friend requests, then just go out on the community forums and find pals and add them as friends. If they don't turn out to be active (logging food and exercise everyday and commenting and liking..), then go back out to the forums and "friend" some more peeps. I tried MFP before without active friends and it just doesn't work as well. Now I have a really good, diverse, active group of pals and I live to get and give support on our fitness journeys. Good luck! You can do this!
  • janeleggiero
    janeleggiero Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I haven't had issues (that I've been aware of) with my BC, but it sounds like we're looking at the same starting and ending goals! Getting started and building the habits are the hardest part for me, but I'm ready to make it happen! I was incredibly active a couple years ago, and then life happened (sick with mono, iron vitamin deficiencies, crazy schedule conflicting with martial arts training time), and 30 pounds happened. I think you're smart to be looking at your BC, hormones are such a pain in the butt when it comes to weight. Good luck to you!!
  • bellaa_x0
    bellaa_x0 Posts: 1,062 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    good for you for taking the first step and making a commitment!

while many will argue that the pill/birth control is the reason for their weight gain, its usually not the medication alone that causes weight gain (at least not significant as the 30lbs you say you gained over the course of a few months). its all of the extra calories you are consuming.

start tracking your food and exercising - you will see the difference one you start to do this consistently.
  • ceilingfansandfryingpans
    Options
    Thanks! I'm not too crazy about having loads and loads of friends, but like you said, I've also tried MFP alone and it's definitely not easy. I'm sure I'll find some cool people to get along with!
  • WLSAngel
    WLSAngel Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hello, I have to say your alot smaller then I am but I can relate to your story. Love the fact that your a pretty moonpie. Haha! I supose an analogy of myself would be a sour apple blow pop! Skinner legs and a round top! O and a tiny person hiding on the inside!
    I am 28 and weigh MUCH more then you. I have 20lbs to lose before the surgeon will approve me for weight loss surgery. I have been working for this for the last 5 months. Going to several appointments including a sleep study and a PSY meeting to insure I am mentally prepared. I wish you good luck on your journey, I am trying this app to help me monitor my calorie intake. Looking for an app that calculates BMI.....
  • ceilingfansandfryingpans
    Options
    bellaa_x0 wrote: »
    good for you for taking the first step and making a commitment!

while many will argue that the pill/birth control is the reason for their weight gain, its usually not the medication alone that causes weight gain (at least not significant as the 30lbs you say you gained over the course of a few months). its all of the extra calories you are consuming.

start tracking your food and exercising - you will see the difference one you start to do this consistently.

Hey we have the same name! I know it's not JUST the BC making me fat, but I feel like the extra pills were definitely a contributer. All the extra hormones make you a lot hungrier too. But I agree that someone can't blame their entire weight gain on their birth control. Hopefully I can tough it out and stick to tracking. :)