Calling all vegans... Need high protein breakfast ideas

Options
I am consistently 10-15 g low on protein every day and I think my low protein breakfasts are to blame. Does anyone have ideas for easy, high protein vegan breakfast in the 300 cal range?

Replies

• vchelnok
    vchelnok Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I like a shake called "Banana Nut" which is right about 300 calories: 1 banana, 1 cup soy/almond milk, 1 scoop of protein about 10 almonds and Ice - Blend well and enjoy! (The exact protein and calorie intake depends on your choice of foods. My shakes are 310 calories and 30 grams of protein)
  • angela87165
    angela87165 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I usually eat Kashi Go Lean cereal (12 grams protein) with 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk. I call it my morning cardboard (haha) but I actually like the taste!
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Porridge/oats will be better than cereal (assuming you have cereal). Could mix it in with almond milk or soya milk. I normally just have oats and honey.
  • csbickish
    csbickish Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Quinoa breakfast porridge. Quinoa 12 g protein per 1/2 c uncooked.
    Throw quinoa, oatmeal, or chia seeds and spinach in your smoothie. Quinoa - 12 g protein per 1/2 cup uncooked. Oatmeal - 6 g protein per 1/2 c uncooked. Chia - 5 g protein per ounce. Spinach - 1 g protein per cup.
    Peanut Butter on Banana or Peanut Butter Banana Smoothie - Peanut Butter - 8 g protein in 2 TBSP.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Silken tofu protein shake for 17 grams of protein and 328 calories. If you want fewer calories,
    skip the peanut butter.

http://www.popsugar.com/fitness/Vegan-High-Protein-Smoothie-Made-Tofu-Soy-Milk-31802599
    INGREDIENTS

1/2 cup soft tofu
    1 cup vanilla soy milk
    1 frozen banana
    1/2 tablespoon peanut butter

DIRECTIONS

Place everything in a blender and mix until smooth, about one minute. Enjoy!
  • Angryvegan
    Angryvegan Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have a lot of smoothies in the morning. Mostly green (Spinach, Kale, or Chard) with some fruit and then to up the protein you can add oats, tofu, hemp, chia etc. to it.

I made overnight oats for breakfast this morning and it was awesome. I added Banana, oatmeal, almond milk, walnuts, chia, vanilla and a few berries. It was kind of high cal, but it was a post workout breakfast.

I struggle so much with adding protein to my snacks and meals. I am vegan and I love my fruit, starches and grains. I get enough protein usually, but my carbs are always too high.
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    I just eat a variation of a tofu scramble... often times with another protein added in. But then again, my protein goals are ridiculously high for a vegan.
  • rebeccaj822
    rebeccaj822 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Great ideas!!! Thank you all. They all sound yummy. I am going to try some of the shake ideas first. They sound delicious, filling and good to take with me to work.

Does anyone have a rec for protein powders? I usually don't like them but would like to retry.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    protein pancakes (i use kodiak cakes mix), tofu scrambles, curried lentils, tofu quiche, sweet potato hash with edamame...

note, i am not vegan, but i do eat a lot of plant based foods.
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    Tofu scramble with lots of veggies or oatmeal with plant-based protein and a little peanut butter are my go-tos. Clif Builders are great if you're on the road.