Cardio during the harsh cold months of winter

Options
After an abrupt start to our New England winter I've been forced inside for cardio.

Aside from the usual treadmill/stationary bike, what do you guys do to keep up with cardio during the winter?

Replies

• ptsmiles
    ptsmiles Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    I have a couple of Beachbody workout dvd's, Zumba is fun too. I used to youtube a lot of cardio workouts as well. We were pretty spoiled here in NE for awhile with the warmer weather.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    my cardio generally drops off somewhat during the winter. i'm a cyclist and prefer to ride outdoors and do ride on nicer days, but not to the extent that i do during the warmer months...though i did receive some better winter riding gear for christmas this year so that should put me on the road a little more going forward.

when i can't ride i pretty much just force myself to get into the gym a few days a week and spend an hour on some cardio machine or another...i loath it, but it is sometimes a necessary evil. fortunately in new mexico, winter tends to be short lived. december and january are the worst of it and by february we'll start seeing a mix of spring like weather along with erratic winter storms popping up.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    still run outside unless it's icey
    f8ee8c0b7c5ab149b955f57529ed7ba1.jpg
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    I'm in Massachusetts. Yesterday I did laps around WalMart. Looked for rain gear - nada. It's not raining today, so I'm going to layer up and walk outside despite the cold.
  • VivaGlamDE
    VivaGlamDE Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    dancing, jumping rope, tabata workouts, hit your local mall and walk briskly around it two or three times. - I'm partial to some of those Beach Body workouts during the colder months though, they are convenient.
  • zombiebrandy0112
    zombiebrandy0112 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I run in all weather except ice (then I usually walk).
  • MorningGhost14
    MorningGhost14 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I run outside all winter. Use Yaktrax when its icy.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I run outside all winter (I'm in Chicago, signed up for a 17+ mile run challenge on Jan 9, and a half marathon at the end of the month). Other than that, swimming and combination of bike trainer and spinning.
  • RoseTheWarrior
    RoseTheWarrior Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    I'm curious since I don't run (yet) but am thinking about starting. I live on the west coast of Canada, and winters are usually mild enough that I could run outside. However, what kind of gear do you all wear to run outside in the winter? How warmly should I dress? Gloves? Hat? Jacket? Anything special I should consider?
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Elliptical, earbuds, watch youtube things out of cell phone to take away boredom.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    After an abrupt start to our New England winter I've been forced inside for cardio.

Aside from the usual treadmill/stationary bike, what do you guys do to keep up with cardio during the winter?

With the right clothing you can enjoy running outside all year 'round.

knyiuqrmsq8s.jpg

But I digress......as part of my x-training for running I row. Full body workout incl cardio. A decent rower (C2) is not cheap so I'd suggest trying one at the gym before buying.

If you've already got a road bike or hybrid consider getting a trainer rather than a stationary bike. less money and you're using your real bike all year 'round (I've yet to see any stationary bike other than club quality Lemonds that can really mimic the fit of your bike)

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Walk At Home DVDs (Leslie Sansone). www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDmqv_XMouA

Jessica Smith "walking" workouts, okay these have a little bit of choreography. www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnCMUGnWVIg

Simple step aerobics videos. www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNAeuOs866Y

Rebounding. www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gKVEqfKG7E
  • anniebag28
    anniebag28 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »
    Walk At Home DVDs (Leslie Sansone). www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDmqv_XMouA

Jessica Smith "walking" workouts, okay these have a little bit of choreography. www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnCMUGnWVIg

Simple step aerobics videos. www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNAeuOs866Y

Rebounding. www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gKVEqfKG7E

• anniebag28
    anniebag28 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    This is what I also do I think she is the best, I had some wrist weights for Christmas to help me along
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    I actually prefer running when it's colder as overheating contributes to my exercise induced panic attacks! It's been unusually mild here in London though so have only needed a long sleeved top once and even then I was a bit overwarm once I got going. Bought a jacket, gloves and one of those sexy headbands and everything and they're just sitting there neglected.

I do a lot of Fitness Blender too though, I go through phases. I also enjoy some Beachbody stuff. I'm a big fan of bodyweight and dumbbell weighted cardio based workouts, I find them fun.
  • Pawsforme
    Pawsforme Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Kettlebell swings
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I'm curious since I don't run (yet) but am thinking about starting. I live on the west coast of Canada, and winters are usually mild enough that I could run outside. However, what kind of gear do you all wear to run outside in the winter? How warmly should I dress? Gloves? Hat? Jacket? Anything special I should consider?

check out this guide and adjust as needed

@MorningGhost14 can you use Traks on ice sidewalks? or are the spikey bits too long? how does it affect the running?
  • RoseTheWarrior
    RoseTheWarrior Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    moyer566 wrote: »

check out this guide and adjust as needed

@MorningGhost14 can you use Traks on ice sidewalks? or are the spikey bits too long? how does it affect the running?

Wow, that's a fantastic guide! Thank you :smiley:
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options

I'm a walker. I dress in layers and like to start off a little cold so I won't have to take off more than one layer, if that.

The feels-like temperature today was 32 degrees F and I wore a tank top, t-shirt, long sleeves t-shirt, turtle neck, heavy hoodie and light gloves. I took off the hoodie half way through and tied it around my waist cuz I was starting to get hot on top but my butt was a little cold. I wore jeans and light pajama bottoms.
  • PinkyPan1
    PinkyPan1 Posts: 3,018 Member
    Options
    5 miles cardio with Leslie Sansone Walk at Home. I also use a 15lb kettlebell and step aerobics.