Yucks - Must I Really Drink All That Water?

Options
Hi all. I've been exercising diligently and staying within my daily calorie limit, yet my scale readings stay the same. I couldn't figure out what's the problem, then I had a thought: The only thing I'm not doing is drinking water.

I suspect something is "off" with my taste buds. For me, water has always tasted very bitter and medicine-like. (Adding lemon doesn't help) I seldom drink sodas and have cut way back on fruit juice, so I might be a bit dehydrated. My question is this:

Is drinking 60+ ounces of water a day THAT critical to achieving weight loss? If so, can someone please tell me why? Maybe if I understand the science of it, I'll somehow manage to start drinking.

Replies

• Bronty3
    Bronty3 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Odd you think it tastes bitter. You can get water through tea or coffee. It's best to get it straight up as water but if you aren't drinking much of anything then that will help hydrate you. I base how much water I need on the color of my pee. I aim for a very light yellow...clear is too hydrated.

http://www.webmd.com/diet/healthy-water-9/default.htm
  • llbrixon
    llbrixon Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Get some filters for your water. Water moves junk out if your body.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    If you are drinking anything other than alcohol, you are drinking water, just water with stuff in it. And there is water in many foods too. Unless you have signs of dehydration, it's nothing you have to worry about.

If you aren't losing weight, it's because you are eating too many calories. Calories in must be less than calories out.

Having said that, if you are drinking beverages with calories, and switch to beverages without calories, that can help you lose weight. Maybe try herbal teas or no-cal flavored bottled water if you think you are dehydrated?