Meal replacement shakes; women

Options
Have any women had any luck with meal replacement shakes or appetite suppressants?

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    Female or male, neither TEACH you how to form habits of over consumption of food which is the reason people get overweight in the first place. Ask yourself this: what happens if you STOP using meal replacement shakes and appetite suppressants? Will you understand how to eat better? Will you have learned how to control your appetite? Will you have created a habitual behavior that you can do for life? If not, then weight regain is inevitable.
    Do it right the first time. Eat less than you do now.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • daniag1234
    daniag1234 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    True I figured as much. I just like supplements (protein, vitamins etc) looking for a kickstarter
  • tenkides
    tenkides Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I use carnation breakfast essentials. It comes in single serve packages and pre mixed drinks and as just a tub of the pounder. It's a meal replacement and it usually keeps me full for 3 to 4 hours. I like using it when i don't have time to eat or if im not hungry in the morning but still have to eat. Hope this helps.
  • lorib10s
    lorib10s Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I like Ideal Shape protein shake.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    daniag1234 wrote: »
    True I figured as much. I just like supplements (protein, vitamins etc) looking for a kickstarter
    They're fine to use as "supplementation" to a good balanced diet. They shouldn't be the replacement for a meal though.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    The shakes can be more calories than a decent meal.
  • daniag1234
    daniag1234 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    Some of those shakes have 19 grams of sugar. I would leave them alone and just drink a glass of skim milk instead. Slim fast and carnation are horrible with sugar (people don't read the labels or want good taste).
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    Same a some have said lost weight but once I quit them it came back. I do have a protein shake for breakfast during the week but that's only because it's quick and I don't want to get up early to make breakfast.
  • distinctlybeautiful
    distinctlybeautiful Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    I drink a protein shake at lunch on most days, but at 500 calories and as part of eating at maintenance, I wouldn't really call it a replacement.
    tenkides wrote: »
    I use carnation breakfast essentials.

I use this too! I mix one packet of the chocolate flavor with one scoop of unflavored whey protein and two cups of milk, and it just tastes like chocolate milk. I love it!

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Those shakes leave me starving after 2 hours, definitely not what I'd call a 'meal' replacement. A snack, sure. A meal? NOPE.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    daniag1234 wrote: »

They don't kick start anything. They don't do anything different than if you had eaten the same amount of calories as a meal. Say the shake has 250 calories as an example, you could make a big vegetable omelette for the same amount of calories.
    When you start to restrict your calories you will get a natural kick start as you lose water weight. Save your money or spend it on a food scale if you don't already have one :)
  • debsfran
    debsfran Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I use slim & save shakes with an added scoop of protein powder but as a supplement not a meal replacement
  • whaddupw8loss
    whaddupw8loss Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Some mornings I mix a meal replacement powder with super greens powder and milk to keep me satisfied all day. I work in fast food, I'd rather drink a meal replacement shake that "Doesn't teach me how to eat" then to munch of fries all day. But, I don't use it as a means to keep my calorie intake extremely low, if I get hungry, I'll eat a fruit or a healthy snack. I think they can work with your diet, if you don't make them your entire diet. (:
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Here's my meal replacement smoothie, which keeps me full for hours:

oebws9hx2ygl.jpg

I use decaf, stevia-sweetened green tea for the liquid.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Here's the deal--you don't need a diet kickstarter. For most people*, the first few weeks of a diet will give them their largest weekly losses while adhering to a moderate caloric deficit and eating regular everyday food. This is because the initial stage of dieting tends to cause a big whoosh of water loss that outpaces the fat weight loss that is caused by the caloric deficit. So you might eat to lose a pound a week but instead lose three pounds. There really is no good reason to try to push your initial weight loss to move quicker than that.

*There are some exceptions to this but they are a minority.
  • pineygirl
    pineygirl Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I have a Designer Whey protein shake for breakfast since I wake up crazy early (5am) and can't bother fixing myself breakfast that early. It works out to be about 200 calories and that and my morning coffee (around 100 calories) keeps me full until around 9am. Then I have a snack...then lunch around 12:30.

Breakfast is the only meal I "replace". Just because I've never been a breakfast person and I can't eat that early.
  • LoriGarside
    LoriGarside Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I use the SlimFast shakes for when I'm on the go, or have no appetite but know I need to eat. The biggest draw back to relying on them consistently is the inevitable weight gain once you start eating 3 meals a day.
  • apelila172
    apelila172 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    If I want to have a quick shake, I drink the Premier Protein Vanilla. They are low in sugar (I am diabetic), and 30g of protein!
  • ammp
    ammp Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I use EAS AdvantEdge Carb Control shakes for breakfast. I cannot tolerate a real meal early, no matter what I've tried. They are 100cal, I add in a small fruit in a few hours for the car ride in, and I'm good till 1130-1230 ish.