How do you deal with stress?

Options
cassandranken
cassandranken Posts: 129 Member
edited December 2015 in Motivation and Support
I've done really really good with keeping to keto, drinking more water, and just generally keeping up with things. The last 2 days have been tough, and last night I gave in to temptation and stopped at the gas station on the way home to get 2 candy bars. I know there's no excuses, and people make mistakes and I need to learn from it and try to do better next time, but there was a 50% chance it was going to be alcohol instead. I've gotten better at dealing with temptations but man last night was awful.

How do you deal with stress? In the past when I've tried exercise it didn't seem to help much...but back then, I wasn't anywhere NEAR as stressed as I am now lol. Starting the 5th (my schedule changes in January, I get Tuesdays and Wednesdays off), I'm going to start using one of those days to get myself back into exercising.Also will start counting calories and logging meals the 1st. And I don't know when, but my insurance from work should kick in soon. Maybe getting on something for anxiety/depression will help. Haven't been able to afford anything for about a year now so I've just been kinda riding the low borderline of being okay and being super depressed/stressed.

ETA: My job is killing me, to be perfectly honest. Mentally physically and emotionally. So a great help would be to get a new one, but so far no replies to any of my applications. All I can do is wait and keep applying.

Replies

• becky10rp
    becky10rp Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    Honestly - I workout every day to deal with stress; it's a lot cheaper than therapy! If you think you're depressed - or you need help dealing with things - don't hesitate to tell your doctor and ask for something; been there too. Feel free to 'friend' me.
  • cassandranken
    cassandranken Posts: 129 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I would like to start working out every day..it would probably help me out a lot. Unfortunately I don't have the energy right now. I work nights and just woke up from 4 hours of sleep because I have housework to do today, on my one day off. Sigh.

I do know I'm depressed, but between my fiance's meds and mine, we just couldn't afford mine anymore. He needs his a lot more than I need mine. Pretty sure he's on the bipolar spectrum, I just have a couple bad days here and there, so I've been med-free since August when I lost my parents insurance, and taking it pretty sporadically even when I could afford it on a good month. We're due to start couples therapy come the start of the new year too which will be nice because we both need it.

I was on Buspar and that really screwed me up, all I did was cry and want to hurt myself. Then I went to Paxil. Was okay. Felt there was something better for me though. Prozac 40mg was what I was on before August. Not sure if I want to go back to Prozac though or try something else.

Seems it gets the worse towards MTOTM and if I've had a particularly bad day at work. Would love to add you :) Thanks for listening.
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    Consider logging your food today, rather than waiting till the 1st. I feel much more in control of my eating and my life, when I get back to logging. If I'm honest about it then if I'm eating candy or whatever, it will slow me down if I have to log it.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    i deal with it by doing things i love every day. walking the dog, running, yoga, napping.
    I've learned to meditate and/or pray
    I've learned to approach issues with the serenity prayer
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,715 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you really have a lot to deal with! Do you have the option of health insurance through your employer? I know meds aren't always the answer but if you find something that helps maybe you can find a discounted prescription somewhere. Have you talked to your doctor about it? Particularly previously, knowing you'd be off your parent's insurance?

Lots of questions, sorry. Either way, learning life-long coping skills is important for anyone so start experimenting with things, such as the others have suggested. And don't focus on a rigid, structured exercise program right now. Just being more active is helpful for both your mental state and your energy levels. Hang in there and I hope your job situation improves soon!
  • Merrysix
    Merrysix Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I like to lift weights, hike outside, run sometimes, all help stress. Keeping my food really simple reduces my stress cause its easier to log, and keep to my macros. I also meditate (sometimes only a few minutes sometimes more but every little bit helps).
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Meditation, self hypnosis, singing and humming, laughing and smiling, yoga, dance, walking/hiking.
  • jnunez1963
    jnunez1963 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I think being unhappy with your job is huge and hard to overcome. But, you're looking, you're applying, you're doing everything you can! (If you're luck is like mine, when one finally bites, four will, but it seems like it's taking forever )

Sadly, we expect so much from ourselves. So, you ate two candy bars. Get back on track, give yourself a hug, I think given the circumstances, you coped pretty damn well.
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    I found that running or other high intensity exercise for about 40-45 minutes helps me cope with stress. The mind and body has to focus on proper breathing and a different kind of stress. After that I am not so stressed.
  • KellieTru
    KellieTru Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I work out four days a week. I also knit and crochet--it's almost meditative because I'm only concentrating on the stitches I'm working.
  • colleenprzybyla
    colleenprzybyla Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I've done really really good with keeping to keto, drinking more water, and just generally keeping up with things. The last 2 days have been tough, and last night I gave in to temptation and stopped at the gas station on the way home to get 2 candy bars. I know there's no excuses, and people make mistakes and I need to learn from it and try to do better next time, but there was a 50% chance it was going to be alcohol instead. I've gotten better at dealing with temptations but man last night was awful.

How do you deal with stress? In the past when I've tried exercise it didn't seem to help much...but back then, I wasn't anywhere NEAR as stressed as I am now lol. Starting the 5th (my schedule changes in January, I get Tuesdays and Wednesdays off), I'm going to start using one of those days to get myself back into exercising.Also will start counting calories and logging meals the 1st. And I don't know when, but my insurance from work should kick in soon. Maybe getting on something for anxiety/depression will help. Haven't been able to afford anything for about a year now so I've just been kinda riding the low borderline of being okay and being super depressed/stressed.

ETA: My job is killing me, to be perfectly honest. Mentally physically and emotionally. So a great help would be to get a new one, but so far no replies to any of my applications. All I can do is wait and keep applying.

• colleenprzybyla
    colleenprzybyla Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    It is really good that you are trying to get another job. I had a job offer earlier this year that I would've made much more money but I knew the stress would not be worth it and I would end up tired and unhappy. So first and foremost taking care of those issues are essential to your health.

As far as managing stress, I have always thought of exercise as the only time of day that is solely based just for me. It is the only time of day when I can mentally shut off everything out and have that time to myself. Of course it is totally about taking care of yourself but even just a voting that time at the gym to think of it as a gift to yourself. I
    definitely do not always feel like going and have really slid in the past few years, but going back now reminds me that it is just for me and me only and that helps to motivate me. Naturally stress will decrease when you exercise and feel good about yourself.
  • tjcuts339
    tjcuts339 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I found that running or other high intensity exercise for about 40-45 minutes helps me cope with stress. The mind and body has to focus on proper breathing and a different kind of stress. After that I am not so stressed.

Same. I call. It Am recess. Run my own business. Works woo dealing. With stresses. Of life,
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Workouts and my sweetie pie.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,118 Member
    Options
    How do you deal with stress?

Exercise
  • tjcuts339
    tjcuts339 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Agreed 100 %%%% Exercise plans. Self esteem self preservation building tool!! BODY Mind Soul.....