Subs for Sweets

Options
I have a crazy sweet tooth that's got me reaching for skittles, cookies, smarties, and all kinds of other junk. Anyone have any ideas how I can resist the cravings and substitute something else?

Replies

• Dreysander
    Dreysander Posts: 294 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Don't, just have a little instead of a lot. I get one Ghirardelli square after supper, I look forward to it all day.

That said, I do like that diet Swiss Miss hot chocolate. 25 cals per packet.
  • mattyc772014
    mattyc772014 Posts: 3,543 Member
    Options
    A piece of Trident Swedish Fish flavored gum.
  • melonaulait
    melonaulait Posts: 769 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I love drinking tea, it definitely helps a little bit with my sweet tooth. And other times when I'm really longing for sweets I like to have dates or raisins, fresh fruit, trail mix or a protein bar instead. Like I could easily take a ~200cal (tasty) protein bar over 600+ cal of chocolate.

//And yeah, the suggestion to have just a little bit at once is great too! I've been practicing it recently and it's been going great. I threw a 72% dark chocolate bar in my freezer and I've only had 1 square a day. So yummy!
  • Dreysander
    Dreysander Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    A piece of Trident Swedish Fish flavored gum.

They make swedish fish flavored GUM? Where can I obtain that from?!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Dreysander wrote: »
    Don't, just have a little instead of a lot. I get one Ghirardelli square after supper, I look forward to it all day.

That said, I do like that diet Swiss Miss hot chocolate. 25 cals per packet.

This^

You can substitute "around" your cravings all day long and still never quite hit the mark. I save my "treat" until later in the day too. During the day I will have fruit, but that's not a substitute for chocolate. Mayan cocoa spice tea with milk and sugar (not too much) is a nice treat.

I will need to deal with cravings once I'm at goal. I need to start behavior modification now.
  • Mikeysluck
    Mikeysluck Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I just had a bite size snickers and a cup of hot tea. I'm good:)
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    No idea. I eat sweets as long as they fit into my calorie goal and I'm still able to lose weight.
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    I have a crazy sweet tooth that's got me reaching for skittles, cookies, smarties, and all kinds of other junk. Anyone have any ideas how I can resist the cravings and substitute something else?

For starters, keep this stuff out of arm's reach.

There are good suggestions above. I like the idea of a tall glass of water, or a cup of tea, when I'm feeling like mindlessly snacking.

• snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    Learn moderation. Limit your intake.
    I quit all sweets the first two months I was on MFP.
    Then, a thread came up saying to work it in to your calories for the day. I did, and there was no looking back.
    That was 3-1/2 years ago. Lost over 1/2 of my current body weight and have been maintaining for a little over 2 years.
    I just bought a bag of my favorite chocolate this morning. It will last me about a month. 1 piece of Dove dark chocolate caramel with sea salt. 38 calories each. It is my treat at the end of the day and I savor it.
  • Kyrenora
    Kyrenora Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I have this vanilla caramel tea made by Bigelow. It's so good!
  • MellyShan95
    MellyShan95 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I had never thought of having a small treat at the end of the day. I'll have to try that!
  • MellyShan95
    MellyShan95 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Kyrenora wrote: »
    I have this vanilla caramel tea made by Bigelow. It's so good!

Just added it to my grocery list! Thanks for the suggestion!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    eat an apple

i have a little dark chocolate most nights for desert
  • tracie_minus100
    tracie_minus100 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I drink tea to help the sweet cravings. It really does help.
  • ilex70
    ilex70 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Fitting in your fave treats is good. Mine used to be a Ghiradelli dark chocolate square. Now it is coffee creamer.

If they don't fit sometimes something sour like a pickle can derail a craving, or you can try using a little salt on fruit...makes it taste sweeter.
  • jessicarobinson00
    jessicarobinson00 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    I am a tea drinker as well: I LOVE the Good Earth Wild Chaild. It's sweet-cinnamon Chai. The Salted Carmel tea by Bigelow isn't bad either..
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    I made good use of herb teas for a long time myself, but I'm going to second the suggestion for good quality dark chocolate.

I noticed that a lot of what you indulge in is really super sweet. Substituting a very rich, densely flavored bitter/sweet treat might satisfy you with less.

Trader Joe's sells 73% extra dark cocoa wedges that are 40 calories each. One or two of them is very, very satisfying.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,952 Member
    Options
    Dreysander wrote: »

Yup, I eliminated treats during the day and just have a square after dinner. Happily, this killed my cravings.

I think regular exercise helps as well, as that gives me the happy hormones I can also get from food.

• linsey0689
    linsey0689 Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    I love the dessert yogurts. Sometimes I will break up some graham cracker with it to add some extra texture. I am a huge sweet tooth I know people say eat some just not a lot doesn't work for me. Also if love ice cream as I do try freezing the yogurt for about an hour. Set a timer. :)
  • horselovinggal872
    Options
    I have a super sweet tooth too, and I like fresh fruit, super dark chocolate and healthy apple sauce to curb it. They all help a lot. And then once a week I allow myself a REAL dessert. Lol