Sugar and breaking the habit

Options
And I don't mean obvious candy bars, I'm talking even foods high in sugar masked as healthy. I've began to think me and sugar don't get along too well. Am I making a mistake trying to keep my sugar under 35g a day? What about under 25g? Looking for opinions, people who have done this,or are doing this. Thanks.

Replies

• natalienwilson9
    natalienwilson9 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    My goal on here is 64g but I always go over a little bit. But I dont mind if its from fruit or something Healthy
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I don't limit sugar per say... I just avoid those foods that have a lot of added sugar. I feel loads better this way. In my experience trying to eliminate sugars found naturally in food just results in eliminating a lot of good craving killing foods. One serving of fruit can put you over that low of a sugar goal. I rarely eat foods with added sugar though. Those are fairly easy to eliminate. I'm a label reader for the things I buy that are packaged.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    Look at your daily reports and see where your sugar is coming from. If it seems to come from mainly fruits and vegetables then I would say not worry about it. If you want to cut back just see what foods are making you consume more than what you desire and make your choices from those foods.
  • Aisle4
    Aisle4 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Yeah maybe 35g is a little too low to do long term

• Aisle4
    Aisle4 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I am trying to stop what I think are sugar cravings
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    As far as weight loss goes, your sugar consumption doesn't matter. Calories are king. Of course there are medical reasons some need to watch their sugar count for, most of us don't. Decide how much you're comfortable with.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    Well sometimes a couple pieces of fruit is enough to put me in the red. Luckily for me, I don't have a reason to track sugar. I don't worry about it at all when it comes from things like fruits. I don't even bother checking it to see if I'm in the red or not. I've lost all my weight and kept it off for 2+ yrs and haven't worried about having an extra apple once as long as it fit within my calories.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I'll end up with 39 today but its from chips, Smucker's and veggies. Not so great.. But not bad either. I'm a recovering chipaholic. So I did pretty good controlling it today. Anyeway.. My point is.. You could do it, but you'll have to give up a lot of fruits and other good healthy foods. (Like honey..healthy good for you but sugar!)
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Sugar and I do not get along well. I crave it and tend to eat too much when I have it. I am also insulin resistance so sugar is now a health concern for me.

I cut most sugar out of my life. I keep daily sugar under 10 g by avoiding foods with added sugar, tropical fruits, baked goods and grains. I do feel better for it, otherwise I would not have given it up.