raw / vegan diet

Options
2»

Replies

• Bootzey
    Bootzey Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I'm always vegetarian, often vegan, sometimes raw foodist. I go back and forth with raw veganess. Especially in the summer. Every time I do it perfectly, I lose chunks and chunks of weight. But it returns when I return to cooked food.

I agree with the poster that said you need a dehydrator. YES YOU NEED ONE. If the price is off putting, get a cheap one. You will get tired of eating fruit and salad. Infact, you need all the toys. But chances are you have a blender and food processor.

And plan, Plan, PLAN. You mustn't allow yourself to get hungry because it's not like it takes a long time to prepare food, and restaurant raw food is very expensive.

My suggestion is that you join rawfoodtalk.com. Those folks over there have raw veganess down to a science. And there are plenty of recipes out there for the googling. Just make sure you have plenty snacks on hand. Because when hunger comes for you as a raw foodist... it comes with a vengeance.
  • schieca
    schieca Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Great blog that I read daily for recipes - OhSheGlows.com

My husband who is not a veggie or vegan loves this too - it's a weekly must have for us. I personally use 2 avocados and only a fresh ear of corn hulled. You can make it with spelt if you prefer. Hope that helps - and good luck!!

My favorite recipe

Red Quinoa and Black Bean Vegetable Salad
    Light, fresh, and packed with protein and healthy fats, this tangy salad will have you dreaming of Spring and Summer.
    Inspired by Epicurious.
    Yield: ~5 cups
    For the salad:
    1 cup uncooked Red quinoa
    1 (14oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
    1 red pepper, chopped
    1/4 cup fresh Cilantro, finely chopped
    2 Green Onions, chopped
    1 cup fresh corn (optional) *see note
    1 small avocado, chopped into 1 inch pieces

For the dressing:
    4-5 tbsp of fresh lime juice (Juice from 2 small limes)
    1/2 tsp kosher salt, or to taste
    1/2 tsp Freshly ground black pepper
    1 garlic clove, minced
    1/4 cup fresh Cilantro, finely chopped
    1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
    1/2 tsp ground cumin, or more to taste

Directions:
    1. Cook 1 cup Red Quinoa according to package directions.
    2. While quinoa is cooking, prepare the chopped vegetables and whisk together the dressing.
    3. Allow quinoa to cool after cooking for about 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork. Add the beans and vegetables and toss well.
    4. Drizzle dressing over salad and toss well with salt and pepper to taste. Bring salad to room temperature before serving. Keep fresh in a sealed container for 1-2 days. Makes about 5 cups.
    Note: I defrosted and drained frozen corn before adding it to the salad, but the result was rubbery corn. I would suggest using fresh corn only, if the season applies, otherwise I wouldn’t bother with the frozen stuff.
  • roointheuk
    roointheuk Posts: 25
    Options
    i agree with the nuts comment. I have tried to keep it to the minimum because i have noticed that the weight isn't coming off as much as i would have expected. Losing a pound or so rather than the 2pound i was aiming at. Not complaining though as long as it is still going down and not up!!

I am not sure yet about a dehydrator. Maybe later on down the line.

I will have a look at the ohsheglows.com! Cheers for that :)
  • NuevaNatalia
    NuevaNatalia Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I have the book. It's really good. I only make the desserts for guests so I don't eat it all in one shot (again nut-heavy). I've made the pasta sauce and the sour cream (delish!). The recipes are very easy. No dehydrator is necessary. That's what I love about her books. I also have her dessert book. I only use it when I have guests over. I recommend you buy it.
  • roointheuk
    roointheuk Posts: 25
    Options
    oh fab i will have to look out for that. I made the brownies and they were too good!