Back to Army Weight

Options
sbear867
sbear867 Posts: 249 Member
edited December 2015 in Motivation and Support
I don't know how I'm going to get there, but my goal for 2016 is to get back to my active duty army weight (which oddly enough I still felt big) I was 157 that's 99lbs from where I live today. I've been searching and absorbing all the latest buzz for diet and exercise and I'm still at square one. I know where I want to be, just not sure how to get there. I have 5 kids, the youngest being 2 year old twins and I manage a occupational medicine clinic full time. I'm looking for any kind of support I can find, Empathy or sympathy, both are welcome. I'm fighting the urge to buy into some fitness/meal plan/lifestyle that can promise QUICK results. I need to relax find support, put down the cookie And the credit card.

Replies

• shll13
    shll13 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hey there! I'd love to add you! Looking for that motivation too! I just know you can get that Army weight back! And thank you for your service!! Here's to a happy New Year!!
  • MarneyGibson
    MarneyGibson Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    me too... I've got 42 pounds to lose. Mostly though I want to be as fit as I was then - or as near as I can get it. I'm now district nursing. My boys are grown up so just me and my husband at home, I think that makes it a lot easier as I only have to do meals for us.
    I'm new to this forum and would love support too.

ps absolutely need to put down my credit card too!! Very hard when theres lots of shiny kit out there.

pps I was with 243fd hosp and did TELIC 1 and HERRICK 7. My son was a Royal Marine and did tours too - its a lot harder sending your son to war than going yourself though.
  • grinning_chick
    grinning_chick Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    You have my empathy. I've been trying for years to get back within AR 600-9 so I could do some IRR/DIMA stuff. No Go. At this point, without an active war to encourage waiver authorizations to meet inventory, I don't see it happening even if I do. Ah, well. Get old enough, windows do indeed begin to close. That's the lesson learned.

Start by food journaling? Just to get a picture of where you're at and how you respond to begin with? That's a solid first step to take. Even if you choose a diet plan that omits some category of foodstuffs, calories ultimately will still matter/count.

There is no quick fix. If there was everyone would be doing that, and that alone. And there'd be no 20B dollar diet industry.
  • treebek
    treebek Posts: 261 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    First off, thank you for your service.

I've lost 21 lb so far and for me, it didn't matter what my head wanted to do until my heart was in it. When I finally committed, I decided to go on 1200 calories (which I follow most of the time) and it's working for me. I'm usually not hungry and feel satisfied most days. I drink protein shakes in the morning only 100 cal each and those keep me full. Usually I have two every morning and just sip them while I'm working. I eat lots of fresh fruit, also learn to like salads! There are so many delicious varieties and you can eat a lot (also helps you get veggies in too). I stay away from bread/carbs most of the time. I'm not carb free just eat it in moderation. I work full time and started bringing in my own food so I wasn't tempted to run out and get high calorie crap.

I also recommend journaling. I had no idea how any calories I was consuming until I actually wrote it down. MFP has helped me stay accountable to myself :). Another thing I recommend is joining one of the challenges on here. I've seen a lot that are starting right after the first. These have been a big help to me in staying motivated.

You can do this!
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    My goal is to get to the weight I was when I finished Basic Training.

If you aren't sure where to start, I recommend going into the Getting Started and General Weight Loss forums and read the announcements called helpful posts. There is a lot of good information in there on how to set up and use MFP in a simple and sustainable way.

Feel free to send me a friend request. I would love to be able to support and cheer on a fellow Army Vet.
  • minniestar55
    minniestar55 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm retired USAF Master Sergeant; put on about 50 lbs very quickly after I retired from not working out & eating crap & way too much of it! Got back down to my AF max weight about 5 years ago using Weight Watchers, have maintained under that weight ever since by tracking my food & working out. Weight started creeping up a bit, so I started dual tracking food with WW & MFP; liked MFP so much that I quit my WW account. I'm back down below my "goal weight" & pleased about it!

No secret or magic tricks about it...eat less & move more. Weigh & track ALL your food, eat healthy (stop the cookies & chips), try to exercise if you can. The AF always advised healthy weight loss as 1-2 lbs per week; set your loss goal modest...maybe 1lb per week, see how you get on. You will have learned a lot about self-discipline & the can-do attitude in the Army...just pull that out & use it.