I dont like the taste of water

Options
Any Ideas on how to meat a water intake goal of 80oz a day. When I dont like the taste of water, even bottled water.

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    1) your water goal is unneccessary ...go by the urine hydration chart if your urine is not pale straw drink more

2) if you don't like water add a flavouring to it like cordial, squash, tea, coffee, cucumber, mint, lemon etc and just count the calories

• GsKiki
    GsKiki Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I like to put some fruits in my water sometimes, usually lemon. If you have problem drinking water I would suggest that or tea. But make sure that you make the tea and preferably leave it unsweetened.
  • ultrahoon
    ultrahoon Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I hate the taste of water too, so I just get it in the form of other drinks. I'm in the UK, so the Sainsbury's basics double strength squash works well here, it's almost nutritionally void, yet still imparts flavour.
  • schibsted750
    schibsted750 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    80 ounces is so much ****ing water. Just drink 40 instead. Unless you're sweating HEAVILY there's no way in hell that you need all 80 ounces. Isn't the standard recommendation 64 anyways?
  • erimethia_fekre
    erimethia_fekre Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    80 ounces is so much ****ing water. Just drink 40 instead. Unless you're sweating HEAVILY there's no way in hell that you need all 80 ounces. Isn't the standard recommendation 64 anyways?

Half your body weight in ounces. But it's not just straight water; water in your food like fruit, soups, e tc will count to that goal
  • slheddlesten
    slheddlesten Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I do like tea so long as its non sweetened. Sugar in tea ruins it for me.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    Have you tried sparkling water or club soda?
    I don't like plain water but love it with bubbles.

And yes, fluids in any ( not alcoholic) drink will do. Don't forget there is liquid in foods too.
    Pee colour is a good guide.

Cheers, h.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    lmaharidge wrote: »

Half your body weight in ounces. But it's not just straight water; water in your food like fruit, soups, e tc will count to that goal

It's a made up goal, like the 8 glasses, like the 10,000 steps

• slheddlesten
    Options
    Yeah half my body weight in oz's is 112.5 oz's. I used 80 oz's as in 10- 8 oz cups. I wanted to go with a higher water goal because I get dehydrated easily for some reason.
    I dont like water even with bubbles. The only bottles water I seem to like is that expensive FiJi water.
  • slheddlesten
    Options
    It has been suggested to me to try stivia flavoring, they have like cola flavored, grape and chocolate. Now who wouldnt like chocolate flavored water. Ill give that a go and let you all know how I like it.
  • CurlyCockney
    CurlyCockney Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    I started buying bottled water when I heard the rumour - and I still don't know if it's true - that the average glass of London tap water has passed through 7 other people before you get to drink it. I got over that because of the expense (I'm fickle like that!), so now I just chill tap water and it tastes fine. Have you tried different temperatures to see if it makes a difference to you?
  • slheddlesten
    Options
    I never heard that roomer but that does kind of go hand in hand with my issue eating liver, I just cant get past the idea of eating something that was meant to filter toxins from a body.
  • CurlyCockney
    Options
    I never heard that roomer but that does kind of go hand in hand with my issue eating liver, I just cant get past the idea of eating something that was meant to filter toxins from a body.

Hah me too! Liver and kidney - just say no ;-)

• slheddlesten
    Options
    Yeah I tried the temp idea to, It dont make much of a difference. I still taste metals if its from tap or plastic if its from a bottle.
  • CurlyCockney
    Options
    Try the other excellent suggestions upthread, I'm sure you'll find something that suits your palate. Personally, I wouldn't get hung up about the amount of water though, just drink until you aren't thirsty. I drink all the time because my meds give me dry mouth, but it's not all plain water - tea and coffee count too.
  • slheddlesten
    Options
    I have that same problem, My meds give me bad dry mouth. try bactine oral rinse it help alot.
  • CurlyCockney
    Options
    Oooh thanks, I'll look that one up. Hospital gave me mouthwash and spray but it's made from pig mucus and I'm far too squeamish for that LOL!
  • Pawsforme
    Pawsforme Posts: 645 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I don't like the taste (or lack thereof) of plain water, either. So I choose to consume it in the flavored form of coffee, tea, diet soft drinks or with Crystal Light. I log the (relatively small) number of calories that comes with those.

I've also never felt any need whatsoever to measure my intake. I can't imagine why anyone would force themselves to drink just to meet some stupid made up goal that has zero science behind it.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about it having to be pure water, just focus on getting the fluid in as mentioned before. I hate plain water too and have always had squash (little bit in with a litre of water - perfect) I take it most places with me and have no issues with the 2L / 8 glasses a day recommendation.

You could log it but I wouldn't bother honestly, it's too awkward to measure and I worked out than even with drinking the stuff all day long (I buy Robinsons no added sugar) it's usually only going to be 20-30 cals, so very minimal for all the taste!

You could also put lemon slices etc in a glass of water for a little flavour.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    I didn't used to like water either.

I started buying those flavored sparkling waters, I found them very refreshing. I transitioned to lemon in plain sparkling water, then lemon in plain water, then just plain water.

My husband solves the problem by mixing water with his favorite diet soda.