Fitbit HR vs Garmin Vivosmart HR

Options
I was all set to buy the Fitbit HR and then while looking online found out Garmin has a Vivosmart HR which does the same and is waterproof. Can anyone give me feedback on either? Looks like the Vivosmart has only been out a couple of months. And the Fitbit HR has been out a year

Replies

• amy_j28
    amy_j28 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    following for responses! I did not know Garmin had the HR either until I saw an ad the other day :)
  • dawnemjh
    dawnemjh Posts: 1,465 Member
    Options
    I just got a fitbit charge HR for christmas and have only worn it for a few days... I didnt actually ask for it, so keep that in mind..I have had garmin HR monitors in past, with the heart rate strap that goes accross the chest and that was uncomfortable, but the device was very accurate with respect to miles run and that type of thing, and the watch fit like a regular watch..The fitbit I find to be uncomfortable on my wrist. It has a long face that is well over an inch long and according to the website this needs to sit on the top of wrist and I have a hard time getting used to the feeling... I am "supposed" to wear it to bed to track my sleep but its way too uncomfortable for that...Also when I run on the treadmil, this am for example it ran 2 miles and the fitbit tracked me as running 1.85 miles, so it is definitely off. That being said, i believe the HR monitor is fairly accurate and I like that it syncs with my phone so when I get a call my wrist buzzes and it says who called. Thats kinda cool. I cant get it to sync with MFP, and dont know if thats even possible. Hope this helps.
  • bzmommie
    bzmommie Posts: 39 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    This Garmen is like Fitbit HR and there is no need for the strap around your chest. May have the same issue strapping on like Fitbit does. And people say cause it is sideways it's hard to read. Hummm
  • daveN63
    daveN63 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi, I have the Garmin Vivosmart HR and really like the size of it and how comfortable it is to have on all the time, I forget I'm wearing it. The only down side for me is its hard to see in low light, I wish there was a setting to make it just a little brighter. But really that is not that big of a deal, because I use the HR to send data collected to my phone to analyze using the Garmin program. During the day when the sun is shinning bright I can see it just fine. If I was to buy again I would pick this one again, really like it.
  • gem686
    gem686 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I've just ordered the Garmin one, the reviews I read all said it was better than the Fitbit. It hasn't arrived yet though so we'll see when it does!
  • Pdmcd17
    Pdmcd17 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I just upgraded from the vivosmart to the vivoactive. I did like the smart the notifications and hr feature. I only upgraded for the gps feature when I'm running.
  • bzmommie
    Options
    Thanks everyone............still having a hard time deciding. Started looking at the running watches now too
  • JennyFromMaine
    JennyFromMaine Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I just got a fitbit flex but I'm curious where other fitbit users log their exercises. Here on MFP or on fitbit?
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    I have the old version and I really like the vivosmart. I like that is waterproof and the look better. Plus the notifications.
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    Syreen16 wrote: »
    I just got a fitbit flex but I'm curious where other fitbit users log their exercises. Here on MFP or on fitbit?

I use both fitbit and Garmin. If I run, then Garmin automatically logs my run, sends it to MFP, which then sends it to Fitbit. If it's another exercise, then I log it on MFP and MFP sends it to both Fitbit and Garmin. Fitbit/Garmin just adjusts the calories based on the time.
  • Interbeing
    Interbeing Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I believe it depends on what other products you may use. I have an older Garmin Vivofit, which I purchased because of the familiarity and integration with Garmin Connect as I also use Garmin's Edge 500. It syncs well with other products, and because I only use it to track my steps and sleep, it works for me. I believe you will be happy with either.
  • hareeshch
    hareeshch Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Haven't used the Garmin one but using the fitbit products from more than a year now and I can tell that the HR is one of their best products. None of the products are 100% accurate but will definitely motivate you and help you achieve your goals. Fitbit is the market leader in this space and have a huge user base which is it's major advantage.
  • groversa
    groversa Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I have a fitbit charge HR and am in love with it. I wear it everyday and it keeps track of everything while sycining with myfitnespal to make my calorie intake more accurate. I've lost weight much more easily wearing it because of the syncing and knowing how much you ACTUALLY need. Love it!
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    hareeshch wrote: »
    Fitbit is the market leader in this space....

It's fair to say that FitBit have the greatest market penetration in the entry level/ pedometer market. I wouldn't call that market leader except in that very narrow sense.

Garmin and Suunto vie for the top spot as far as geo-tracking and accessory integration is concerned.
  • flump007
    flump007 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I did my research and found the Garmon vivofit slightly better.Having said that mine came today,I've set it up but not really used it yet as it's evening where I am,so tomoro it gets a full test !
  • bzmommie
    Options
    I ended up buying the Garmin Vivosmart HR today. Just finished setting it up. Tomorrow we will be on the road so I will not be able to test it much but will be able to get used to it on my wrist. Tuesday it is back to work so I should know more then :smile:
    Thanks Everyone. Will let you know how I end up liking it.
  • d_thomas02
    d_thomas02 Posts: 9,048 Member
    Options
    Garmin Vivosmart Hr is advertised as water-proof to 5 ATM (roughly 150 ft). Anyone gone diving with it yet?
  • kaikea
    kaikea Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Lots of reviews for the Garmin Vivosmart HR on YouTube. It seems most people like it over the Fitbit Charge HR. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHxlzJ9tuG4