New mommy!

Options
I'm a new mom, I had my daughter on October 16, 2015 and I need to start losing some baby weight. I started off at 195 lbs, before my daughter was born I weighed 235lbs!!!!!! I am now 210lbs and would lose to be less then 160. I don't know where to begin or what I should do. I'm a stay at home mom and do not have to money to go to some gym or go on a program that cost money, besides the food. I was into yoga and I LOVED it! I just need help and a support system to help me as well! Having friends on here would for sure help since I'm pretty competitive lol

Add me and I will add you back and let's help support each other and get healthy!! :D

Replies

• natajane
    natajane Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Ello! My daughter was 13th October, albeit 2013. So close date wise!

I'm a similar weight to you too. Just starting to feel able to concentrate on myself properly now.

I wouldn't worry about exercise at all right now, especially with a baby as you must be shattered! Maybe just the yoga because you enjoy it? I bet there'd be lots of youtube videos on it. Most of the battle is calories though so just start chipping away at achieving those each day? To find your calories, Google your TDEE and take 20% off.

One thing that I struggled with when my toddler was a small baby was just eating regularly! And then when she was asleep, I'd get a ridiculous urge to just stuff my face!!! I think it was a mixture of being so tired and the emotional pressure of the new baby.

One thing that has helped me is buying a slow cooker (not sure what you call them in the US?). It's basically a big pot you put in a timer machine on your counter top and it cooks meals slowly. We make all sorts in ours in big batches - chilli, bolognese, curry. If you throw mainly veg in there then it's cheap, the calories are low and you can freeze what's left for when you can't be bothered to cook. It's great because you can do it all on a morning and then forget about it. Greek Yoghurt, nuts and frozen berries are so quick for breakfast. Omlettes, chopped meat and tonnes of veg for lunch. I now buy a lot of my veg frozen such as chopped peppers, chopped onion, spinach, sweetcorn, carrots, garlic, peas, mushrooms even - it's pre prepared so no peeling/chopping, quick to cook, easy to portion out and has the same nutritional value. And you can chuck them in your slow cooker and are easy to blend up when it comes to weaning.

• KrisiAnnH
    KrisiAnnH Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your daughter! I'm afraid I cant help much from the 'new mum' perspective, but as I was a similar starting weight to what you are now (205) and am currently just under your goal weight (160ish give or take) I thought I'd weigh in (no pun intended ;) haha).

The good news is, although you say you dont know where to begin, you already have! Joining MFP is a big positive step towards making a change! And more good news- you really really dont need any programs or schemes to lose weight. It can be absolutely free! (It could even save you money if you're eating a lot less!)

Yoga is great for relaxation, but not so great for weight loss, so it depends on what you want from your workouts. To lose weight you need to be in a deficit (ie. eat less calories than your body burns). Most people chose to create a deficit by eating less calories, and some like to add exercise to help speed things along/improve their fitness. Yoga doesn't burn a lot of calories, but it'll definitely help with fitness and flexibility.

If you're interested in at home workouts, Fitnessblender has some great workout videos which can be done with home workout gear (weights etc) or no equipment at all. You can also search for videos based on length, body area worked, calories burned, difficulty etc. :)

Also, a great place to start is to read through the most helpful posts, which you can find here They cover pretty much everything, and have some really great pointers :)
  • tadel1515
    tadel1515 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I also had my daughter on October 16 this year! I was around 230 when I had her but have gotten back down to pre prego weight of 196. Still need to lose lots more though! Hopefully we can all do this together
  • Kyrenora
    Kyrenora Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    My girl was born in July. I do yoga videos on DoYogaWithMe.com (all free). I also dance around the house holding my daughter and work up a sweat that way. When it's nice out, I'll push the stroller around the neighborhood.
  • Damnurugly
    Damnurugly Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    natajane wrote: »
    Ello! My daughter was 13th October, albeit 2013. So close date wise!

I'm a similar weight to you too. Just starting to feel able to concentrate on myself properly now.

I wouldn't worry about exercise at all right now, especially with a baby as you must be shattered! Maybe just the yoga because you enjoy it? I bet there'd be lots of youtube videos on it. Most of the battle is calories though so just start chipping away at achieving those each day? To find your calories, Google your TDEE and take 20% off.

One thing that I struggled with when my toddler was a small baby was just eating regularly! And then when she was asleep, I'd get a ridiculous urge to just stuff my face!!! I think it was a mixture of being so tired and the emotional pressure of the new baby.

One thing that has helped me is buying a slow cooker (not sure what you call them in the US?). It's basically a big pot you put in a timer machine on your counter top and it cooks meals slowly. We make all sorts in ours in big batches - chilli, bolognese, curry. If you throw mainly veg in there then it's cheap, the calories are low and you can freeze what's left for when you can't be bothered to cook. It's great because you can do it all on a morning and then forget about it. Greek Yoghurt, nuts and frozen berries are so quick for breakfast. Omlettes, chopped meat and tonnes of veg for lunch. I now buy a lot of my veg frozen such as chopped peppers, chopped onion, spinach, sweetcorn, carrots, garlic, peas, mushrooms even - it's pre prepared so no peeling/chopping, quick to cook, easy to portion out and has the same nutritional value. And you can chuck them in your slow cooker and are easy to blend up when it comes to weaning.

I live in Canada and I do own a slow cooker aka crook pot haha I think I'll look on Pinterest and see what they have to healthy recipes to make :)
  • Damnurugly
    Damnurugly Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    tadel1515 wrote: »
    I also had my daughter on October 16 this year! I was around 230 when I had her but have gotten back down to pre prego weight of 196. Still need to lose lots more though! Hopefully we can all do this together
    Oh awesome congrats on your little angel :) lets for sure give this a try together :smiley: more the merrier :smile:
  • Clobern80
    Clobern80 Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    If you have time, do HIIT like Tabata. It is a short program but will kick your butt if you do it right. There are workouts out there, apps, etc. that can help get you started. And it costs nothing! It is all body weight and cardio and various things like that.

Good luck to you!
  • MVY_
    MVY_ Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the new baby. I had mine on Oct 24th. I have an exercising machine at home but you can also look on youtube for cardio workouts. I sometimes use fitnessblender!