Committing to calorie counting

Options
I get so mixed up with all the different options I end up going around in circles. How do you commit to calorie counting? and stick with it?
I am driving myself crazy. I see people with awesome results. I feel like a dick, why do I find this so hard? I just want to cut myself off from all other options and get on with it.

Replies

• DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    It's hard because it's hard. That's about it.

It's a big lifestyle change and that can be hard to wrap your mind around. Not to mention building new habits takes time, effort, and dedication.

Start with these posts:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10300331/most-helpful-posts-getting-started-must-reads#latest

• squatsanddeadlift
    squatsanddeadlift Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the link :)
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    No problem. We've all been there at some point or another.
  • Itreadlightly
    Itreadlightly Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I rebel against calorie counting - then think" it is just a tool"- like a exersize is a tool that can help me. I am grateful that MFP has such an amazing data base to use for counting calories. On my own ( trying to cut back, work out more, etc) I didn't lose- using the count calories tool I lose. It is not in our nature to not want to be controlled by something but how silly it is to apply it to something that helps me.
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,710 Member
    Options
    It does take practice and consistency. Give it some time. Also, realize that it is a teaching tool as well. Learn proper portion sizes so that when you are out or somewhere without a food scale you can have a fairly good estimate without being worried about the exact numbers.
  • juicybravo
    juicybravo Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    the people you see around you who are successful are either supper determined to reach their goal OR have tried many times at calorie counting and failed many times, but kept at it until they finally got the hang of it. That's what you are seeing. Where do you fall in all of this? You only know the answer to this. Be true to yourself and ask if you are truly determined. If you have doubt then try a little bit more and do what you think will take to make this calorie thing a go!

I have a notebook where weekly I check off my workouts and meal intake. No one made me do this I did it for me. Because I need extra help. Because I know im a visual person and I need to write things down on paper to make things happen. Invest a little. As for me- I bought a dvd workout about 2 years ago. MFP is not going to do this whole calorie counting for me. I need to do what works for my life.

Its time for you to make a plan.
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I've lost weight without calorie counting, but gained it all back. Then I started using MFP and lost weight calorie counting. When I reached my goal weight, I stopped counting and logging because I knew how to do that. I gained it all back. Now I'm on yet again, and the first board I went to was Maintaining, even though I hadn't lost a pound yet. Six months later I'm almost at goal weight but this month practiced maintaining. You can lose weight by eating less. Keeping it off, and being aware of the mental space you need to be in to do that, is just as important. Start logging everything, be honest, accept that you'll have an occasional binge or slip up, and you'll also be a success story.