Gaining weight rapidly!!!

Options
Hi. I am new to nutrition. I am a 25 year old male, 5ft9 and weigh 130lbs atm. I have been sorting out my diet and nutrition and have started to notice that I am gaining weight very rapidly about 4 - 5lbs a day... Is that normal or is that an inconsistent estimate. I have not even started training at the gym yet.

I know of a lot skinny guys in particular that are trying to gain weight and have a hard time gaining 1 or 2lbs a week.

I am aiming 3280 calories a day at least which I am fulfilling.

Replies

• tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    How long have you been gaining rapidly? If its only a few days and you have only just started to increase your calories, it is likely that the gain is a fluid gain.
  • tomthompson55
    tomthompson55 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    A fluid gain is just excess water build in the body right? Is it flushed out for example going to the bathroom? Usually whatever is left over is your official gains right?

Yes. I have have only just gotten a hand around my diet the past few weeks. I have noticed the weight gains have been huge and the weight usually stays around that lvl.
  • sjohnson__1
    sjohnson__1 Posts: 405 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    A fluid gain is just excess water build in the body right? Is it flushed out for example going to the bathroom? Usually whatever is left over is your official gains right?

Yes. I have have only just gotten a hand around my diet the past few weeks. I have noticed the weight gains have been huge and the weight usually stays around that lvl.

It is not completely flushed out in the form of waste. If you're consuming more simple carbohydrates (sugar) and sodium, which I'm sure you are, then you're going to hold on to more water. Too much sugar raises insulin levels, which in turn lessens the body’s ability to expel sodium. This is common early in the gaining phase as your body isn't used to flushing out the extra sodium which in turn causes you to hold more fluid in your cells. But, you should level off if your calories are right and you pay attention to your sodium and sugar intake (that doesn't mean get obsessive with sugar/sodium levels... just make note of where it's at each day, and as you go try and find a happy medium). However, if you've been gaining 4-5 lbs every day for the past week or two, you've likely just set your calories too high.

Were you able to eat consistently and maintain weight before jumping your calories up? Are you concerned with excess fat gains? What are your goals for your weight gain?
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    If you've been consistently gaining 4-5 pounds a day for more than 10 days to 2 weeks you're eating WAY to much.

if you just started this week- it's likely water weight.
  • Hufanae
    Hufanae Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I would do a sodium, liquid, and roughage system cleanse. All natural of course. Heat is a excellent energy source to rid or pull excess waste or toxins from your body. If you are eating that much food, you should be getting enough nutrition and liquids to do these cleanses without feeling fatigue, but just be sure you drink plenty of water and filled with nutrients all the time. I love to do all three of the heat cleanse (boils the blood): Sauna 20 min (3x sessions), steam room 20 min (3x sessions) and spa 20 min (3x) about 3x a week. Each 20 minute session you would approx (depending your weight 160#) lose about 1200mg of salt and lose lots of liquids (mostly water, acids such as lactic, other toxins) I eat a lot of sodium/tasty food. Waste or toxins will be pulled via sweat/sodium. Also do a (cleaner the better: i.e. don't add salt or butter; i use slice a bacon per 20 servings or something like that) roughage cleanse as often as possible esp, after a cheat day. lol. Roughage is eating fiberous foods, i.e. lots of different veggies) fibrous foods pulls toxins, toxic oils that get stuck in your organs. food or bacteria gets stuck in these oils or waste.... So . i.e. eat at least a serving of oatmeal in the morning and drink cup of coffee and go directly to bathroom, avoid sugars creams when doing cleanse. Weigh yourself full at night once or twice to just get a feel of maximum weight your body can hold. But usually weigh in morning consistently perform same ritual; empty i.e. after you have gone completely (#1&2) or have ex-punched all liquids and roughage. This should be your ideal weight. This new life style should remove a lot of toxic waste your body has stored over the years. Yoga also helps remove waste/toxic build up internal to your organs. Good luck!
  • chaines0145
    chaines0145 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    NONE of the above is necessary! I am sure it is just water weight! There is no way you have been gaining 4-5 pounds of actual weight a day eating 3280 calories a day. 1 pound=3500 calories, so in order to gain that much you would have to eat 14000-17500 calories a day OVER your maintenance level (pretty much impossible). Hold out for a few days and you will likely level off. Also, you are trying to gain weight, so do not be scared of it! Good luck!!!
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Hufanae wrote: »
    I would do a sodium, liquid, and roughage system cleanse. All natural of course. Heat is a excellent energy source to rid or pull excess waste or toxins from your body. If you are eating that much food, you should be getting enough nutrition and liquids to do these cleanses without feeling fatigue, but just be sure you drink plenty of water and filled with nutrients all the time. I love to do all three of the heat cleanse (boils the blood): Sauna 20 min (3x sessions), steam room 20 min (3x sessions) and spa 20 min (3x) about 3x a week. Each 20 minute session you would approx (depending your weight 160#) lose about 1200mg of salt and lose lots of liquids (mostly water, acids such as lactic, other toxins) I eat a lot of sodium/tasty food. Waste or toxins will be pulled via sweat/sodium. Also do a (cleaner the better: i.e. don't add salt or butter; i use slice a bacon per 20 servings or something like that) roughage cleanse as often as possible esp, after a cheat day. lol. Roughage is eating fiberous foods, i.e. lots of different veggies) fibrous foods pulls toxins, toxic oils that get stuck in your organs. food or bacteria gets stuck in these oils or waste.... So . i.e. eat at least a serving of oatmeal in the morning and drink cup of coffee and go directly to bathroom, avoid sugars creams when doing cleanse. Weigh yourself full at night once or twice to just get a feel of maximum weight your body can hold. But usually weigh in morning consistently perform same ritual; empty i.e. after you have gone completely (#1&2) or have ex-punched all liquids and roughage. This should be your ideal weight. This new life style should remove a lot of toxic waste your body has stored over the years. Yoga also helps remove waste/toxic build up internal to your organs. Good luck!

You'd be wise to ignore every single word of the above post, it's a huge ball of woo that looks like it came straight from the Dr. Oz show. Your body doesn't have "toxins" built up in it, your liver and kidneys do a perfectly good job of filtering them out. Your urinary and excretory systems rid your body of waste.

Your rapid weight gain is either gains from water retention, or your surplus is too high (and the former is highly more likely, as I doubt you're eating at a 14,000-17,500 calorie surplus per day). If it levels off, it's the former; if it keeps going, it's the latter. Adjust accordingly. And ignore anybody who starts babbling about cleanses, detoxes, etc. - they're all 100% scams and can actually screw up your gut flora rather than help anything.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Gotta be mostly fat at that rate. Nobody can put on muscle at that rate. You best cut your carbs down to no more than 150/day. ASAP!
  • Hufanae
    Options
    Naturally your body will eventually level off, and in time you will get your true weight......

I'm just saying there is a faster (a catalyst if you will) all natural way, by just sitting in sauna and other things such as drinking water and eating veggies.

Anvilhead could be right, he said they're all 100% scams....
    Going into a sauna to sweat out mostly water and sodium and eating roughage daily which should help you with #2 naturally is a scam. anvil head is very wise person.

I'm all about natural foods, natural plants, whole grain foods. Nutrition should come from ground but I'm not into processed foods or chemicals, supplements, powder protein or drugs that heal our bodies. I'm not sure what anvilhead eats but eating veggies and drinking water is one of the natural ways to rid your body excess sodium or toxins.

Anvildead said our bodies are capable of filtering out toxins of what we eat or drink or even breath of course duh. He is right our bodies are capable of filtering out toxins in our foods. Some people say today some Americans eat crappy food, and drink crappy drinks, and many times in excess. The result most of these people suffer from diabetes, arthritis, high blood pressure, high cholesterol or worse cancers, heart attacks, brittle bones. But anvilhead is right our body is capable filtering out these toxins that causes these ailments.

AnvilHead wrote:>>
    You'd be wise to ignore every single word of the above post, it's a huge ball of woo that looks like it came straight from the Dr. Oz show. Your body doesn't have "toxins" built up in it, your liver and kidneys do a perfectly good job of filtering them out. Your urinary and excretory systems rid your body of waste.

...Adjust accordingly. And ignore anybody who starts babbling about cleanses, detoxes, etc. - they're all 100% scams and can actually screw up your gut flora rather than help anything.[/quote]

AnvilHead Happy new year!

Anvilhead again is right but if I can help relieve some of the burden or stress from built up toxins that may overwork my heart, pancreas, liver, lungs, kidneys I will definitely do so by eating healthier, exercising and going into sauna, drink plenty water, and meditate.

Live long and healthy!

• AnvilHead
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Please list some specific toxins (not just "OMGeeee, teh toxinzzz!!!1!!!") which accumulate in the body as a result of food intake, and by what mechanism a cleanse/detox gets rid of them in a way the body otherwise can't.

I have yet to see a cleanser/detox'er give a scientifically sound answer to either of those questions. If providing links, please provide peer-reviewed studies, not blog entries from some crackpot.

A little common sense from sciencebasedmedicine.org:
    Advocates for detox typically describe the liver and kidney as acting like filters, where toxins are physically captured and retained. It’s argued that these organs to be cleaned out periodically, like you’d rinse out a sponge, or change the air filter in your car. But the reality is the kidney and liver don’t work this way. The liver performs a series of chemical reactions to convert toxic substances into ones that can be eliminated in bile, or the kidneys. The liver is self-cleansing – toxins don’t accumulate in it, and unless you have documented liver disease, it generally functions without any problem. The kidney excretes waste products into the urine – otherwise the substance stays in the blood. To argue that either organ need a “cleanse” is to demonstrate a profound ignorance of human physiology, metabolism, and toxicology.
  • Cryptonomnomicon
    Cryptonomnomicon Posts: 848 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    A little common sense from sciencebasedmedicine.org:
    Advocates for detox typically describe the liver and kidney as acting like filters, where toxins are physically captured and retained. It’s argued that these organs to be cleaned out periodically, like you’d rinse out a sponge, or change the air filter in your car. But the reality is the kidney and liver don’t work this way. The liver performs a series of chemical reactions to convert toxic substances into ones that can be eliminated in bile, or the kidneys. The liver is self-cleansing – toxins don’t accumulate in it, and unless you have documented liver disease, it generally functions without any problem. The kidney excretes waste products into the urine – otherwise the substance stays in the blood. To argue that either organ need a “cleanse” is to demonstrate a profound ignorance of human physiology, metabolism, and toxicology.
    uXG32ec.gif

• Hufanae
    Options
    For example specific toxins/poisons: hmmm spoiled anything such as milk, steak, chicken, etc., and cheap alcohols such as mixing nitrane and thunderbird together. lol. Stuff that give us Hang Overs. If you drink lots of water, eat veggies or I heard menudo helps too. lol. If there is way too much toxins our system will work harder and unable to handle such a load. Thus we may get headaches, gout, aches pains, stomach aches, tired, and sick throwup most of the day.

"To argue that either organ need a “cleanse” is to demonstrate a profound ignorance of human physiology, metabolism, and toxicology."
    Definition of an organ:
    An organ is a part of your body that performs a specific function: like your mouth, brain, lungs, or skin.

For example, (KISS) Brushing your teeth/mouth out daily (or 3x) is one way of cleansing the toxics out of your mouth area, if you don't brush your teeth cancer like toxins (mouth cancer): such as smell of bacteria and mold, rotting teeth cavities, mineral build up, holes in teeth (cancer eating toxins/aka cavity creeps), etc.. Some people use tooth paste with a tooth brush and dental floss to rid of such toxics, some use hydrogen peroxide to rinse out toxins that get trapped in saliva in throat area, and some use coconut oil to pull toxins from your mouth. You are right, our body can naturally rid of these toxins in our mouth, but why not help our body and take care of as much as we can by using tools instead of ridding it the natural way.

• AnvilHead
    Options
    Hufanae wrote: »
    For example specific toxins/poisons: hmmm spoiled anything such as milk, steak, chicken, etc., and cheap alcohols such as mixing nitrane and thunderbird together. lol. Stuff that give us Hang Overs. If you drink lots of water, eat veggies or I heard menudo helps too. lol. If there is way too much toxins our system will work harder and unable to handle such a load. Thus we may get headaches, gout, aches pains, stomach aches, tired, and sick throwup most of the day.

"To argue that either organ need a “cleanse” is to demonstrate a profound ignorance of human physiology, metabolism, and toxicology."
    Definition of an organ:
    An organ is a part of your body that performs a specific function: like your mouth, brain, lungs, or skin.

For example, (KISS) Brushing your teeth/mouth out daily (or 3x) is one way of cleansing the toxics out of your mouth area, if you don't brush your teeth cancer like toxins (mouth cancer): such as smell of bacteria and mold, rotting teeth cavities, mineral build up, holes in teeth (cancer eating toxins/aka cavity creeps), etc.. Some people use tooth paste with a tooth brush and dental floss to rid of such toxics, some use hydrogen peroxide to rinse out toxins that get trapped in saliva in throat area, and some use coconut oil to pull toxins from your mouth. You are right, our body can naturally rid of these toxins in our mouth, but why not help our body and take care of as much as we can by using tools instead of ridding it the natural way.

Thank you for proving the point more convincingly than I ever could have. LOL.

So as long as the OP doesn't eat spoiled milk, steak or chicken, or drink Night Train and Thunderbird together, there should be no need for a cleanse/detox. But he should brush his teeth or he'll get mouth cancer. Got it.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    not to mention saying"boils your blood" if your body gets that hot you would die before your blood could boil. so much bad advice.also I know a lot of people who have never brushed their teeth and some of them still have their teeth,no cavities,no cancer,etc.There is no scientific proof of oil pulling either. but ok