3 month old and exercise

Options
Any of you have easy to do exercises when taking care of a 3 month old that loves being with mommy? Wanting to workout more but little one likes mommy's attention more lol!

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Can you walk the baby in a stroller?
  • Priss08
    Priss08 Posts: 62 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    The best thing I did as a new mother was invest in a baby carrier. Ergo and Tula make great ones. Baby and you get cuddle time and you can walk for exercise while having your arms free.
  • naamahgoddess
    naamahgoddess Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah I did!! My favorites were squats and lunges while holding baby. You can also do some really good waited reverse crunches using the baby as a weight. If you lie on your back with your knees up have the baby sit on your feet, put your hands behind your head and incline up a little, the straighten your legs out and bring them back up ( I dont know if im explaining that correctly, but if you exercise you should know what I mean) Also leg raises while the baby is laying next to you. Tons of stuff you can do, just get creative. You can even do arm curls with the baby. Think of them as a weight that keeps getting bigger as you get stronger. Its kinda awesome
  • Kyrenora
    Kyrenora Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I do Mommy & Me yoga with my 5-month-old.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    If you need some "you time" for working out put dad to work looking after the little one for an hour or two as needed.......
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Walk

You do not appreciate quite how easy you have it with a non moving baby as opposed to a crawling, walking or talking one
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Get a good carrier and walk. Great exercise and all babies love it.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options

Put the baby down for a nap and do something else at home (not sure what equipment you have.)
  • jesslynn6486
    jesslynn6486 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys! I'd love to start walking of course with all the rain we've been getting and it being cold it's put a damper on those plans.
  • kels11davis
    kels11davis Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Floor or may exercises. You will probably have to google or you tube these but Clams, bridges, glut ISO metrics, pelvic floor exercises are great post pardum plus the little one can be snuggled next to you or on you.
  • antennachick
    antennachick Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    If you are just starting out exercising. There are tons of things you can do with baby. I do almost all my floor exercises with my baby. Abs holding baby, legs like squats while holding baby, bridges with baby on lap. And if you are one of the lucky ones that your baby will nap lol take advantage of it! If time it limites do a fast(20mins) high intensity workout like jump rope, burpes, jumping jacks stuff like that.
    If ita nice outside the stroller is awesome :) you can walk run do lunges squats ect while pushing the stroller
    Good job on being a mom and keeping up with exercise! :)
  • antennachick
    antennachick Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Walk

You do not appreciate quite how easy you have it with a non moving baby as opposed to a crawling, walking or talking one

Lol
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys! I'd love to start walking of course with all the rain we've been getting and it being cold it's put a damper on those plans.

You can keep an eye on the radar and walk between showers.

And a light shower doesn't worry me.

I've lost loads of weight walking.

Beware of making excuses!
  • xmaplegunmanx
    xmaplegunmanx Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I bought a special chair with toys attached for like 20$ at Walmart and I only used it when I exercised so every time it seemed new and he'd be entertained for a half hour at least. Haha it only worked for so long but when he was 3 months it worked well haha
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Do something metabolic/circuit based while they are napping.

Something as simple as alternating burpee/kettlebell swing ladders can get you in and done in 8-10 mins. If you live in a house with a set of stairs - run them for 8-10 mins. Lots of great things can be done in under 15 mins, giving you time to cool down and shower before you're needed again.

I looked after my daughter a lot when she was really young and I did a bunch of nasty and short work that tided me over until I had a bit more time to get back to my regular training.
  • EauRouge1
    EauRouge1 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I agree, a decent carrier and get out for a walk. You can get coats that will cover a baby carrier, or just buy a bigger size. Get a good carrier though- Ergo, Tula, Action Baby... not a Baby Bjorn or similar, it will kill your back.

You could try some workout videos at home too, there are loads on youtube.
  • owen1826
    owen1826 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Just walk around the house! Or put on some music and dance while holding baby. It all counts.
  • Larissa_NY
    Larissa_NY Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »

You can keep an eye on the radar and walk between showers.

And a light shower doesn't worry me.

I've lost loads of weight walking.

Beware of making excuses!

You've lost loads of weight walking while carrying a three-month-old in the cold and rain, really? How did your child feel about that? My daughter would have screamed blue murder.

If not making your child miserable is making excuses now, I'm all on board the excuse train. Also I would seriously question the priorities of the people standing on the platform.
  • IILikeToMoveItMoveIt
    IILikeToMoveItMoveIt Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    My youngest is now 1.5 and I hold him while I do squats, twists, heel lifts, marching etc. He loves it. My little girl does exercises along side me. She is 5. She even makes up some exercises of her own and we have fun doing them. I think it's more fun and way less stressful to incorporate your little ones into your routine. If they aren't sleeping. Most days I wait for them to sleep and burn through a routine but I make them feel included and wanted if they are awake and I really need to get some exercise time in. It might take a little longer, but everyone is happy and there isn't any frustration that could lead to any kind of resentments...
  • jesslynn6486
    jesslynn6486 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thank you all! I didn't notice I received more replies lol! Now he's 9 months and we are doing more walking. He laughs at me when I do squats lol!