bicycling on the open road

Options
There is a very curvy road that flows from my house to the center of our town, aboutt 5 miles away. Today, for the first time I pulled my son in his new chariot up to the public library. I was really nervous. I had no problems, everyone gave me plenty of room, but just the idea that my son is behind me and I cannot see if someone was to hit me is upsetting. There are no bike paths around my house. In several places there is no space to pull off on the side of the road either. Are any of you avid bicyclists? Do you feel as if drivers are traditionally looking out for you when driving? Would you consider me reckless for riding on a well trafficked road?

Replies

• Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    I bike regularly, and I stay away from areas without bike lanes. A lot of drivers just aren't expecting you there and it's easy for someone (not because they are trying to run you down) to not see you and not be able to give you room either. Just not a good idea in my opinion.

That being said, I live in urban Miami where people are a little crazy behind the wheel, and most roads have a bike lane. We also have a lot of really nice bike parks.
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    With as distracted as many drivers are talking on cell phones, putting on makeup, eating etc, I wouldnt risk it.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    Legally you have to the right to be there. But just because it's legal doesn't make it a good idea.

I've ridden on busy streets regularly. However, no way would I involve my children. JMO.
  • ashlinmarie
    ashlinmarie Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    Get a light for the back of his carrier that flashes because that tends to get people's attention. I am an avid biker and going to work, there are a few paths I have to take on the main road, but I feel a bit better with a light.
  • jeneey
    jeneey Posts: 48
    Options
    I'd definetely get a mirror that attaches to you helmet so you can see behind you, your son and upcoming traffic. I also recommend a back light that blinks off and on so they see you more, even attach to the back trailer and one on your bike. I think people notice you much more on the road/highway. I always keep my eye out on what is coming up behind me.

The problem is some car drivers respect bikers and some don't, and I've had a few close calls. You have your child behind you and that is priceless. It's hard for me to say. Any other back roads? I hope I helped a little...
  • mandyreadsbooks88
    Options
    I don't think I will be doing it again. Its frustrating though, coming back from Germany where there are bike paths and walking lanes everywhere and being forced to drive for even the shortest of trips. I only received one middle finger from a driver, most were nice and waved. I know I have the right to be there but you all are right, too many people chose to take their eyes of "their" road. This is just depressing I invested a lot of money in our bike and its equipment for the main purpose of hauling groceries, going to the libraries, and the parks.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    I don't think I will be doing it again. Its frustrating though, coming back from Germany where there are bike paths and walking lanes everywhere and being forced to drive for even the shortest of trips. I only received one middle finger from a driver, most were nice and waved. I know I have the right to be there but you all are right, too many people chose to take their eyes of "their" road. This is just depressing I invested a lot of money in our bike and its equipment for the main purpose of hauling groceries, going to the libraries, and the parks.

I understand the frustration but really the road without a bike lane isn't really meant for bikers (yes I know it's legal, but the lanes are just too narrow). When it comes down to it, the guy with the 2 ton automobile trumps the 40 lb bike, sad as it is.

I wish every major road had a bike lane. That would be very nice.
  • MiloBloom83
    MiloBloom83 Posts: 2,724 Member
    Options
    I'm an avid cyclist. That said, there are some roads i will not ride on. There are better options available to me. Maybe there is an alternate route you could ride that is safer? I live in Illinois near the Iowa border, and lots of Iowa cyclist come over here to ride our backroads because they are paved. Iowa's country roads are largley gravel. I hope you have some nice secondary roads available to ride.