Need easy, no microwave make-at-home lunch ideas! I work in a restaurant!

Options
Hey guys! I spend most of my time waiting tables or tending bar. When I'm not doing that, I train horses so there's never any microwaves or much free time in my world. I'm looking for some lunch ideas that I can pack and eat quickly. I am looking for healthier alternatives - I eat clean and organic. I'd prefer not to have lunch meat sandwiches! Thanks for all the help!

Replies

• KrisiAnnH
    KrisiAnnH Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I like to make a little extra of whatever I've had for dinner and have some the next day. Of course if you're not a fan of cold pasta it may not appeal to you if you dont have access to a microwave. I love making a meal out of a lot of smaller snacks- so a small amount of dip (humous, salsa etc) and some chopped veggies- celery, cucumber, carrots, bell peppers. Crackers and low cal soft cheese (laughing cow triangles are 25 cals a slice). Cereal bars can come in at 100ish cals each.

If you're not a fan of snacky meals, maybe try experimenting with adding different things to salads; smoked mackerel, grilled chicken, tuna etc, maybe adding some couscous or rice, or making pasta salad.

Failing any of that, Pinterest is a great place for recipe inspiration :)
  • lulalacroix
    lulalacroix Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    I spend a lot of my work time in my car and therefore have the same issue as you. I eat fresh veggies, cheese cubes, and nuts. I also take greek yogurt or cottage cheese in a cooler. I stay away from bread and pasta as well. But sometimes just wish I had something a little more filling that doesn't need to be heated.
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Hey guys! I spend most of my time waiting tables or tending bar. When I'm not doing that, I train horses so there's never any microwaves or much free time in my world. I'm looking for some lunch ideas that I can pack and eat quickly. I am looking for healthier alternatives - I eat clean and organic. I'd prefer not to have lunch meat sandwiches! Thanks for all the help!

Ham and cheese sambitch and a small bag of chips. No idea what clean means but you can wash it if you wish.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    ncboiler89 wrote: »

ham and cheese sambitch and a small bag of chips. No idea what clean means but you can wash it if you like.

Ah yes, the celebrated sambitch. A classic.
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    ncboiler89 wrote: »

ham and cheese sambitch and a small bag of chips. No idea what clean means but you can wash it if you like.

Ah yes, the celebrated sambitch. A classic.

And clean!!!
  • rachsoderberg
    rachsoderberg Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Lol sambitch!! I also cook extra food on nights before I know I'll be gone all day, but I'm about as not picky as you can get when it comes to eating a cold leftover meal so that may not sound appealing at all to you (which I understand!) Rice cakes and peanut butter are another alternative I've found because I am gluten free, therefore sandwiches are both a waste of money and not very economical because the slices are tiny. I eat Core Meal bars on occasion, they mimic a full bowl of oatmeal and have high protein - without the bowl of oatmeal and protein powder ;)
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options

In all seriousness, check out the bento box thread. :)

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10043413/using-bento-boxes-for-lunches/p1
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Sandwiches are perfect for that situation, though. So portable. If you don't like "lunch meat", you can make roast beef or something on a Sunday and slice it up, freeze some. Next Sunday, roast chicken, same thing. Etc for turkey, pork loin, etc.
  • jesusarolon
    jesusarolon Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Pinterest is your best friend for this. Fair warning, once you start on there you'll find yourself on there a lot.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    If you don't have access to a microwave get a food thermos
  • schibsted750
    schibsted750 Posts: 355 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Here's a simple one I eat all the time: 1 packet of oatmeal dry, mixed with 1 tbsp of olive oil or coconut oil, topped with 1 cup of frozen blueberries. People are skeptical about the oil on oatmeal, but I promise you, it's actually delicious. The nuttiness of the olive oil in particular goes well with the oats. NO prep time at all. Have it with a hardboiled egg or two for protein and you're golden.
  • teylyn
    teylyn Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Here's a simple one I eat all the time: 1 packet of oatmeal dry, mixed with 1 tbsp of olive oil or coconut oil, topped with 1 cup of frozen blueberries. People are skeptical about the oil on oatmeal, but I promise you, it's actually delicious. The nuttiness of the olive oil in particular goes well with the oats. NO prep time at all. Have it with a hardboiled egg or two for protein and you're golden.

I wish people would look over the rim of their immediate plate. Not everybody shops at your supermarket. This site has members from countries all around the world.

What the **** is "one packet"? If you use that as a unit, please let us know if that is 2 kg or 1 oz. Details matter.
  • Duchy82
    Duchy82 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Wraps, salads, soup/left overs in a food thermos (soup is one of my faves!). Hummus or similar dip with your favourite vegetable crudités and a pitta (or not whatever the preference) definitely an idea for someone on the go as it can be picked at throughout.
  • schibsted750
    schibsted750 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    teylyn wrote: »

I wish people would look over the rim of their immediate plate. Not everybody shops at your supermarket. This site has members from countries all around the world.

What the **** is "one packet"? If you use that as a unit, please let us know if that is 2 kg or 1 oz. Details matter.

50 grams of oatmeal
  • LucyP12342014
    LucyP12342014 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    http://www.crock-pot.com/specialty/for-lunch/crock-pot-lunch-crock-food-warmer-pink/SCCPLC200-PK-NP.html#

We can't have a microwave at work as we have a subsidised restaurant. But everything cooked in the worst possible way. Using the above I can control my portion, calorie content and I just plug it in under my desk. It's worked wonders for me. Got mine off amazon U.K. :)
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Yogurt. Banana pb jelly bowl. Avacado and tomato salad w olive oil. Kalamata olives feta and olive oil. Mixed salads. Cream cheese and cucumber. Hummus and pita. Black bean bowl with sour cream and lettuce tomato cheese. Three bean salad. Texas caviar. Fruit salad with olive oil and pumpkin seeds. Parfait. Cook ahead things like chicken cous cous quinoa. Like stuffed bell peppers with quinoa or stuffed tomato. Pizza from a tortilla or flatbread a bagel flat or crumpet. A thing of fresh cut veggies to snack on.
  • sstrack123
    sstrack123 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Today I will be trying out mason jar salad, made it 2 days ago to experiment. Some of my go to no cook meals: cottage cheese with tomato,cucumber,green onion & jalapeño-very refreshing or I add salsa. Pb & low sugar jelly on Ezekiel bread,
    Sometimes I prep up chicken tenders w/roasted asparagus and sweet pot fries which I can eat cold. Friend request if you like and we can share ideas if you have an open diary.