anyone else here with a disfunction family who stresses you out and makes you overeat

Options
2»

Replies

• 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    No one "Makes" you eat except yourself. If you are overeating, it's time to take responsibility for yourself.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    sarab920 wrote: »
    lithezebra wrote: »
    My family is ridiculously dysfunctional, but they can't make me overeat.

OHMYGOD I just just about to say the same thing..

You're way ahead of me, having figured this out by the tender age of 25!
  • FarmallMom71
    FarmallMom71 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I have family stress too - I stress eat and I hear you. I Hope you had a quiet less stress christmas and found some peace. I get it. It's hard to understand how others causing you stress can lead to over eating... it's subconcious and not a choice when I stress eat too. I literally have to just walk away sometimes and regroup my thoughts so I don't eat thoughtlessly because when I'm upset it's like a smoker needing a cigerette fix only my ciggerette is food...it's habit and I don't think about what I'm eating until afterwards and then I feel guilty...and every holiday there's lots of good food everywhere so it's so easy. I sympathise with you and my best suggestion is conciously redirect yourself and avoid kitchen conflicts... big hugs your way! Be true to yourself.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    dont blame others for your own actions.

i am estranged from the vast majority of my family (by choice). This year i moved twice, cared for my dying grandfather until his death, separated from my husband, had a foster child decide to move out, gained (the worlds greatest) boyfriend, and a half dozen other things that people routinely use as excuses. I still lost 70+ pounds.

YOU make your choices. No one else.
  • chelsy0587
    chelsy0587 Posts: 441 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Larissa_NY wrote: »
    Dysfunctional family that stresses me out, yep, check, but they don't make me overeat. What I eat is my decision, not theirs.

If you want to spend Christmas by yourself, spend it by yourself. Your mother is an adult who is responsible for her own behavior, and people who want their kids around them when they age should maybe not treat those kids like crap. You reap what you sow.

This.... my brother... he hurt me a lot when we were kids and has never told our parents the truth which really kills me that my father believes him. My mother knows the truth and believes me 100% but my dad I feel has always favored his only boy (even though there is only 1 boy and 1 girl)

Seeing my brother and my father both cause me serious nightmares, has been this way since I was a child...

I do still see them though, and the only reason I see them is for my mother and my son... my son absolutely adores my brother and that is the only thing on gods earth that could make me care an inkling about him (if that's not god I don't know what is) When my son was about 18 months I told my brother in a very serious way that if he EVER hurt my son like he hurt me I would seriously murder him... and it hasn't been an issue since.

All that said I do feel like that issue when I was a child caused me to have very little self respect. BUT I am now an adult, and I make the decisions about my life. No one else causes me to overeat, in fact when I do overeat the only emotion I feel is anger because I know how many hours at the gym it will take to work that off.
  • Debmal77
    Debmal77 Posts: 4,770 Member
    Options
    snikkins wrote: »
    Lounmoun wrote: »
    I don't see my siblings, parents or inlaws for holidays any more. I was never an emotional eater so that was never an issue. It is very relaxing to not spend my holidays with people just because of duty. When I made the effort for years to be there they made me feel bad or ignored me.
    Learn to let go of people who don't care about you and just spend your time and energy with other people or where you want to be.

Yes! You're allowed to write out anyone who doesn't care about you, whether they're family or not.

I agree.