New Year's Resolutions - Health and Fitness

Options
Do you have any resolutions for 2016?

Mine are to lose the weight this year and keep it off so that I'm not in the same position a year from now. I'd also like to work on body composition and get to 20% body fat.

Not health related specifically, but I'm also going to work on my tendency to procrastinate and try to improve my focus.

Replies

• HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    Not a resolution as such as I'm not starting anything new, just continuing on from my progress last year and before that. I do have lifting related goals though that I'd like to have achieved by this time next year:

Squat: 120kg
    Bench: 75kg
    Deadlift: 140kg

I'd also like to gain some weight (probably 10-15lbs) and move up a category in powerlifting, as well as continue to focus on improving my mobility work, yoga, foam rolling etc as my performance is always much better when I do.
  • Clobern80
    Clobern80 Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    This year, I am not having any resolutions. I started my lifestyle change earlier this week and will be sticking to it. So I guess my resolution is to not have resolutions, but just to make goals and chase dreams throughout the year.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    No resolutions here, either, because resolutions disappear as quickly as willpower does. I don't need to fabricate artificial reasons to perhaps let myself down. ;)

I'm the type of person who doesn't go into things easily - I will only commit to something when I'm good and ready to, and never because of something as fabricated as New Year's Resolutions usually are. :)
  • lingo10
    lingo10 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Just staying afloat with everything and not worry. Thats all, nothing specific. Overall wellness.
  • JennKoz529
    JennKoz529 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I'm not making it a New Years resolution, but I am working on loosing about 20-30 lbs by October 2016. I am going away and would like to not have so much flub!! Happy New Year!!!
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I don't make resolutions. I will continue what I am doing.
  • ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    1. Make it to 150lbs by August 19th. I'm 163lbs now, but I'm also at maintenance-level calories until May 1st.
    2. Able to run a half marathon by the end of next year. Not compete, just be able to do it.
    3. Nail all the yoga positions if only for a few seconds, but hopefully for 1 minute each.
    4. Do 10 rounds of my HIIT routine in 30 minutes.
    5. For the meme posted on my FB wall, I'll run/walk 3 miles for every "Like" it receives and keep accountable through Fitbit. It's part of a matching donation project I have going.

None of this is new, just an improvement on what I'm already doing.
  • juicybravo
    juicybravo Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Every year I write down my new year's resolution and every year I accomplish all of them. It's weird and fantastic.

Mine are: lose 20 pounds by June & maintain
    to keep working out as part of my daily. That's all :blush:
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    I normally make new year's resolutions on my birthday. I made a few and reached a few of my resolutions so far.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,618 Member
    Options
    Most resolutions are spontaneous. No real thought put into them or preparation or even mapped out planning for the whole year. It happens every year at every gym I've worked at. Busy at the beginning of the year and by the end of February, it's back to normal with maybe a handful of new members sticking with it or so.
    This isn't to dissuade you from making a resolution. If you are, you should have SPECIFIC plan of action written down on how you'll do it day to day, week to week, month to month. Of course there will be obstacles, but if one is consistent, that bad day or week shouldn't be stopping you from attaining goal.
    Point is don't just "desire" to make a resolution to lose weight and get fitter. Have a specific plan of action and COMMIT to it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • chunkygal2014
    chunkygal2014 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I make them, but always struggle to keep to them. I realised I make too many, and make it impossible to achieve them all. So this year (2016), I have 2.
    1 - Lose the weight, plain and simple and no matter what, thats happening.
    2 - be the best role model i can be for my daughter.

(If anyone would like to add me, for encouragement and support along our journeys to a healthier life, please feel free to do so.).
  • clover5
    clover5 Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    Run in 3 or 4 organized runs. I prefer the 10k so I'll be looking for those.
  • ForeverSunshine09
    ForeverSunshine09 Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    juicybravo wrote: »
    Every year I write down my new year's resolution and every year I accomplish all of them. It's weird and fantastic.

Mine are: lose 20 pounds by June & maintain
    to keep working out as part of my daily. That's all :blush:

I am typically the same way except when it comes to not drinking pop and saving money on a consistent basis. I don't get why those are hard. This year I have a plan on how I will do both. Instead of just going cold turkey and all in.