Fitbit question...

Options
I guess I don't fully understand the "Budget" on my fitbit. What happened to the good old "calories in vs calories out"? And what is the "calories left"

Can someone help me understand? Am I just missing something?

Feel free to add me too!
https://www.fitbit.com/user/3YSQ3S

Replies

• truckersgirl102411
    Options
    I tried to add you, but like everytime I try to add someone...it never works. I can never find the add button! :(
    I don't know what the heck the fitbit is doing either. I just go by calories in vs calories out. I make sure I burn more than I eat or close to it.
    Feel free to add me as a friend here if you would like. And also on fitbit. My email is: truckersgirl102411@gmail.com
  • FitGamerSmoak
    FitGamerSmoak Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I always do my food and calories in MFP, and then do my exercises in fitbit. It's just easier for me that way. And since everything travels over, I like to use both. Otherwise I never understand that part. :-) Sorry I couldn't be more help. Feel free to add me dancoo86@gmail.com
  • slinke2014
    slinke2014 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I just have my fitbit synched to MFP and don't worry about it. Just follow was MFP provides for calories in and out.
  • micheles234
    micheles234 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I just got a fitbit yesterday. Are the days of logging exercise in mfp over? I jogged on treadmill this morning and it was a 290 Cal burn, according to treadmill. Fitbit added 177 to mfp. Does fitbit know I was jogging and not walking?
  • Courtshorr
    Courtshorr Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    craziedani wrote: »
    I always do my food and calories in MFP, and then do my exercises in fitbit. It's just easier for me that way. And since everything travels over, I like to use both. Otherwise I never understand that part. :-) Sorry I couldn't be more help. Feel free to add me dancoo86@gmail.com

Got ya! Thank you
  • Courtshorr
    Courtshorr Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    craziedani wrote: »
    I tried to add you, but like everytime I try to add someone...it never works. I can never find the add button! :(
    I don't know what the heck the fitbit is doing either. I just go by calories in vs calories out. I make sure I burn more than I eat or close to it.
    Feel free to add me as a friend here if you would like. And also on fitbit. My email is: truckersgirl102411@gmail.com

Added you
  • Bxqtie116
    Bxqtie116 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I just got a fitbit yesterday. Are the days of logging exercise in mfp over? I jogged on treadmill this morning and it was a 290 Cal burn, according to treadmill. Fitbit added 177 to mfp. Does fitbit know I was jogging and not walking?

MFP probably took those numbers as steps. So I would manually add the exercise to Fitbit and use their numbers for calories burned. MFP tends to give you 200-300 more calories left for the day than Fitbit.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    treadmills are not accurate with calorie burns. the fitbit would be more accurate than the treadmill. I would have just taken the 177calories. mfp will also estimate calories high. so I would go with the 177 and leave it at that. nothing is 100% accurate but I would trust the fitbit over the treadmill and mfp
  • carli_boni
    carli_boni Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Does anyone know why my Fitbit is not syncing with mfp?
  • StacyChrz
    StacyChrz Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    treadmills are not accurate with calorie burns. the fitbit would be more accurate than the treadmill. I would have just taken the 177calories. mfp will also estimate calories high. so I would go with the 177 and leave it at that. nothing is 100% accurate but I would trust the fitbit over the treadmill and mfp

I agree. I try to stick with the Fitbit calorie adjustments.
  • istarith
    istarith Posts: 71 Member
    Options

I just got my Fitbit too and was wondering the same thing! The Fitbit looks at how active you are during the day and adds the exercise calories to it. If you were on your feet all day and then exercised on top of it, you'll have more calories roll over into MFP. If you were sitting all day and then exercised, less calories will roll over. And I agree with everyone else: The days of manual logging in of calories are over; your Fitbit is way more accurate. I've been logging all of my food into MFP, but eating the calorie limit my Fitbit tells me to after it syncs with MFP. After all, it knows more about my calorie level than MFP does!
  • Madux1818
    Madux1818 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    slinke2014 wrote: »
    I just have my fitbit synched to MFP and don't worry about it. Just follow was MFP provides for calories in and out.

I just got fitbit too, how do you sync it to MFP?
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I use MFP for food and calories and fitbit for exercise only. It's so much easier and straightforward this way