Options
13»

Replies

• leeanneg91
    leeanneg91 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »
    leeanneg91 wrote: »
    i also just started and im finding it really hard to stay within my nutri recommendations ?
    i end up going over the fat, or sugar but 23 or so?
    HELP PLEASE!
    Any advice would be appreciated
    xx

MFP's sugar stat comes from all sugars. Unless you have medical issues, there is no need to monitor sugar. You already monitor carbs. I try to reduce added sugars, but MFP doesn't track those separately.

I treat protein and fats as minimums. These are both important nutritionally. Some people eat a high fat diet (on purpose) and still lose weight.

You can change settings to track different things. I track fiber instead of sugar.

THANK YOU! il have a look at the settings now!
    been yoyo dieting for some time now and enough is enough..... trying to get back in shape and earn my abs back!
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »
    i also just started and im finding it really hard to stay within my nutri recommendations ?
    i end up going over the fat, or sugar but 23 or so?
    HELP PLEASE!
    Any advice would be appreciated
    xx

MFP's sugar stat comes from all sugars. Unless you have medical issues, there is no need to monitor sugar. You already monitor carbs. I try to reduce added sugars, but MFP doesn't track those separately.

I treat protein and fats as minimums. These are both important nutritionally. Some people eat a high fat diet (on purpose) and still lose weight.

You can change settings to track different things. I track fiber instead of sugar.

THANK YOU! il have a look at the settings now!
    been yoyo dieting for some time now and enough is enough..... trying to get back in shape and earn my abs back!

Definitely read the stickied threads linked throughout the comments here, or go to the top of each forum section and spend some time reading each of the Helpful Link threads.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,028 Member
    Options
    East1726 wrote: »
    You are all so amazing for taking the time to offer me some tips. I've read all the stickies :) At the moment, I'm racking my brain about what to eat for breakfast tomorrow morning. I don't want to screw this up with my very first healthy meal. Lol

I know you were making a joke, but you want to get rid of the idea that you can "screw this up" with one meal--whether it's the first or the thousandth--because once you've "screwed things up" it implies the whole effort is ruined and you might as well continue screwing things up for a few more meals or days or weeks, or just toss it in altogether, which sounds like your pattern in the past ("because I go strong for about two weeks and then I binge and say to hell with it").

Even if you were to manage to eat 5000 calories in one meal, all you've done is wipe out your deficit for a few days or a week, depending on how big a daily deficit you have. It doesn't mean you can't return to deficit eating with your next meal, and eventually wipe out the surplus. If it was possible to "screw this up" with one meal, you're already doomed, because not only does pretty much everybody go over their goals for one meal now and then, but you already have in the past, or you wouldn't be overweight now. If all those meals in the past that left you overweight haven't already "screwed this up," no single future meal will either.

Breakfast tomorrow: Oatmeal. Or eggs and bacon. Or a protein smoothie. Or cold cereal and milk. Or pancakes. Or leftovers from today. Or whatever you like. Just log it accurately and see how it fits in your goals, and pay attention to how long it keeps you from feeling hungry again. Learn from that. Repeat for the next meal and the next day, et cetera.

I had a large stack of blueberry almond-meal pancakes for breakfast today, with a luxurious coffee with heavy cream (it's leftover from Christmas cooking, so I may as well use it) and a little orange juice diluted with a lot of seltzer, for about half of my day's calories (900-ish). I had planned something more like 550 calories, but I was trying a new recipe, and once the batter was mixed I thought it was way too thin, so I added more almond meal, which is very calorific, but very filling. I could have said, "I've screwed this up, may as well eat whatever I want--there's some great cheese in the refrigerator, and some cookies ..." However, I'm on vacation, so this very filling breakfast was late, and I'll probably only have one more large meal today, plus I have time to get some exercise and raise the number of calories I can have today. I really enjoyed the pancakes, and I'm very full, and planning to go run some errands that involve walking and hit the gym later. And my lesson is that if this happens in the future, I can either put away the griddle and cook the batter in a skillet like an omelet or a crepe (for a very eggy pancake, which is probably what was intended), or at least add wheat flour instead of more nut meal, for roughly two-thirds the calories, since I don't have gluten issues (the recipe touted itself as gluten and dairy free, but I just thought it sounded tasty).

Yesterday for breakfast I had sprouted quinoa with dried cherries, brown sugar, and a couple of teaspoons of heavy cream, plus coffee with milk, for 365 calories, which left me with plenty of room for a slice of lasagna and roasted brussels sprouts for lunch, and more quinoa, a small pork chop, sauteed spinach and sweet peppers, dressed with a little olive oil and balsamic vinegar, and a glass of wine for dinner, and a couple of Ghirardelli chocolate squares and about 2 oz. of mixed nuts in the evening. A delicious day, within my calorie goals. I didn't even touch my extra calories from dance class, because I was just too full to eat more, so even if I go over a bit today, which I'm not planning on, but things happen, I can see that I'm still meeting my weekly goal.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    With this amount to lose, it is important to come to terms with the FACT that you need to make changes for the rest of your life, whatever it takes. Break your goal into mini goals, one step at a time. Maybe the first step is simply logging your current foods. Then start to make changes as you figure things out. Establish good new habits. The habits are what keep you going when the "feeling" of motivation escapes you. Figure out WHY you want yo fo this, then never forget it.
    SW 301
    CW 176
    GW 150
    18 months
  • alphastarz
    alphastarz Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    it's ok at first to concentrate on portion control mostly. Burnout comes from trying to be perfect from the start or making too many changes at once. It's a marathon for most of us, not a sprint.
    Once you get within desired calorie range using either mostly portion control or common sense about junk food reductions, work on making food swaps, one habit or food at a time. If you love a family recipe, search until you find a lighter version of it. Read labels and try to get more vitamins, fiber or nutrients for same meal. Click on the nutrition tab to see if you are getting all the micronutrients you need from food - use websites like the worlds healthiest foods to add nutrient dense foods as you slim and cut from your previous habits.
    Make exercise goals to complement your nutrition goals. A goal like I will exercise ## minutes this week is both specific and measurable, but flexible so that you don't quit just because you didn't get to the gym on Monday. It allows you to makeup time later in the week if you have an early oopsie.
    Don't quit. It's not how many times you fall off the wagon that determines success, but whether or not you jump back on each time. Accept you will have bad days and or binges but that doesn't have to mark failure. Consider planning for a flex day once a week where you consume x% more than usual or a calorie cycling schedule if that helps you feel occasional indulgences are part of the plan versus the end of the universe.

This has been working for me, I've lost about 50 pounds so far and have 70 to go... With about 10 years of experience in quitting diets after a few weeks before now, so I truly do know what you're talking about and feeling but know we CAN stick to it. Here's one sample of how this worked for me: I had been eating toast, egg and OJ commonly for breakfast. First swapped OJ for clementine. Next swapped 120 calorie multigrain bread for 100 calorie equivalent. Swapped avocado for butter. Swapped from bread to a high fiber light English muffin, 50 calories and double fiber. Eventually Swapped egg for egg and egg white mixture with turkey and portobellos - same protein with less calories and cholesterol. I can't tell YOU what to eat or swap for you to be successful, you need to look at what you like and ask yourself "is there something I can do to make what I eat regularly healthier?" A single habit change of 50 calories a day for the rest of your life really adds up... And Ten habit changes of 50 calories a day is that much more powerful. Saying to yourself this week I am going to work on xyz habit is way more positive and easier to stay motivated about than saying this week I am NOT going to eat abc.
  • montrealsue
    montrealsue Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hi East! Some great tips here. I don't know how busy you are in the morning, but this works for me: a strong coffee with a half cup of hot milk, and one tiny leetle President's Choice almond cantuccini while I read the news etc. That seems to give me enough protein and blood sugar to get ready for work, then eat a small breakfast of 1/4 c swiss muesli (with juice, not milk), 1/3 c plain low-fat yogurt, and a handful of fresh or frozen fruit: half a banana sliced, half an apple, whatever's in season. Spreading those things over about 2 hours, then having a high-protein lunch about 2 hours later, fuels me for the rest of the day. If I wait too long for lunch (like 3 hours or more), I end up eating all afternoon and still feel hungry for dinner. So it's partly foods and partly timing. I'd love to hear what you learn about your best habits! Best of luck
  • East1726
    East1726 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hi East! Some great tips here. I don't know how busy you are in the morning, but this works for me: a strong coffee with a half cup of hot milk, and one tiny leetle President's Choice almond cantuccini while I read the news etc. That seems to give me enough protein and blood sugar to get ready for work, then eat a small breakfast of 1/4 c swiss muesli (with juice, not milk), 1/3 c plain low-fat yogurt, and a handful of fresh or frozen fruit: half a banana sliced, half an apple, whatever's in season. Spreading those things over about 2 hours, then having a high-protein lunch about 2 hours later, fuels me for the rest of the day. If I wait too long for lunch (like 3 hours or more), I end up eating all afternoon and still feel hungry for dinner. So it's partly foods and partly timing. I'd love to hear what you learn about your best habits! Best of luck

See, part of my "excuse/problem" is that my mornings are not that crazy at all. I have a 5 year old who I walk to school every morning (literally 100 steps away) and an 11 month old who is easy peasy to take care of. I'm ABLE to cook breakfast but I literally don't know how to eat healthy. It's horrible to admit that, it should be common sense :/ I'm going to start with baby steps, that's for sure. I skip breakfast, every single day. Then I eat like crazy for lunch and dinner and snack in between. I'm going to start eating breakfast and see where that takes me. I'm hoping it deters me from eating so much for lunch and dinner.