Personal Trainer or Nah?

Options
This is my second run on MFP. The first time I joined, I lost 30 pounds. I stopped logging in August and since then I have gained back 9 pounds. It's very disappointing. I am giving it another go on MFP but this time I am considering getting a personal trainer. For those who have used personal trainers in the past, do you think it's worth the money to hire one? Or were you able to achieve success doing it alone?

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    For me it was worth it because he helped me with form and a few transitional exercises so I could get to the point where I was able to do other exercises. Trainers vary widely and whether they are useful or not also depends on your goals/needs.
  • cruzmom123
    cruzmom123 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your help!
  • distinctlybeautiful
    distinctlybeautiful Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    I've been in classes before and worked one-on-one with a coworker who was training to be a trainer. I found it felt a lot easier when I had someone telling me what to do. I don't think I'd want one now though, just because I feel good about doing it on own for now. I guess I think it's really dependent on individual style and what works for you.
  • schibsted750
    schibsted750 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Definitely worth it in my opinion. If your trainer does their job at all, you will gain muscle, and that will make it easier to get motivated for workouts that you do on your own. If you're stronger, you will be more confident and you will be able to workout harder. It won't feel like such a chore. Use the personal trainer to learn some new exercises and the principles of structuring a workout, and then go forward on your own once you feel like you can.
  • MissT895
    MissT895 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    For me it's worth it. My pt teaches me about nutrition and gives me different programs every few weeks so I am not doing the same program when I am not training with my pt. I am learning a lot about different exercises too. Mine is ongoing, but I know some people who just do a 3 session and get good benefits too. You need to work within your budget. So if you can afford it I say go for it. It is well worth it
  • justinehunt
    justinehunt Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    yeah Im a big fan, my trainer knows a ton more then me. So I tell him my goals, we set an agenda and he holds me accountable. Its all good imo.
  • cruzmom123
    Options
    Thanks everyone. One of the reasons I am considering a trainer is because I don't know anything about strength training. The first 30 pounds I lost was due to cardio at home. (Dancing dvds). With that routine, I became "skinny fat". So I really need to learn about lifting weights and toning muscle.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Definitely worth it in my opinion. If your trainer does their job at all, you will gain muscle, and that will make it easier to get motivated for workouts that you do on your own. If you're stronger, you will be more confident and you will be able to workout harder. It won't feel like such a chore. Use the personal trainer to learn some new exercises and the principles of structuring a workout, and then go forward on your own once you feel like you can.

The follow up and doing workouts on your own are the key. Most people can't afford to have a trainer watch/coach them through every workout.

I've had several orthopedic surgeries that involved physical therapy after. Talking to the physical therapists they said many people don't follow though with their homework and don't get the results they should.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    My personal trainer helped me get fit and keeps me motivated

He is not responsible for my weight loss but for restoring my faith in my body and reducing my anxiety over getting out of breath (bouts of pneumonia and asthma knocked me out of kilter on that one)

He is responsible for my body getting taut and tight as I lost weight, introducing me to progressive weight training, getting me cardio fit, focusing on weak side,

He continues to push me once a week and motivate me so that I go to the gym twice on my own

But the important thing is I can easily afford this personal expenditure, I am at that stage in my life where I am not scrimping to afford it ...would I be seeing a PT once a week for this long if not? Probably not, it's an indulgence and makes my life better but it's not a necessity
  • cruzmom123
    Options
    Thanks to all who responded. I decided to hire a personal trainer. My first session begins tomorrow morning at 5:30. I am so excited!!!
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    cruzmom123 wrote: »
    Thanks to all who responded. I decided to hire a personal trainer. My first session begins tomorrow morning at 5:30. I am so excited!!!

So, how did it go?
  • Carnhot
    Carnhot Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I see a trainer once a week and practise the stuff we do in between, as well as cardio. Aworks for me.
  • RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on two things... firstly, what your fitness goals are... what do you want to do with a healthier fitter you? run races? bicycle tour? climb mountains, hike through death valley? climb a dozen flights of stairs and still have enough wind to open the door and step through without looking like you ran a marathon or stepped out of a sauna with all your clothes on... secondly... the quality of the Trainer you are choosing to work with... besides being a fitness buff themselves... are they a good coach... what is their experience, what do their references say about them? are they equipped to help you achieve your goals? a Hockey coach is not going to help you get to the top of a mountain, or help you prepare for an ultramarathon... get references, and clearly define your goals and your expectations...
  • schibsted750
    schibsted750 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »

The follow up and doing workouts on your own are the key. Most people can't afford to have a trainer watch/coach them through every workout.

Exactly. I saw my trainer three days a week, but I worked out every day, and after a few months I didn't need my trainer any more.