Doctor suggested gastric bypass--freaking out!

Options
124»

Replies

• risingstar89
    risingstar89 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    From what it sounds like, I think your Doctor was suggesting that you have surgery not saying that it is absolutely 100% your only option. Don't let this scare you. I am going to agree with what other people have posted and say get a second opinion and make sure to let whoever you consult with know that you have lost weight on your own and been successful. Perhaps they can provide you with more help or alternatives that don't involve surgery.
  • kgb6days
    kgb6days Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    I weight 127 and have sleep apnea laying on my back. My husband weights 138 and he does too. Keep doing what you are doing. While gastric bypass is the answer for some people, it's not without its complications and difficulties. I'm a GI nurse working in a procedure area. We see many patients that have had gastric bypass who end up gaining all the weight back because they didn't change their lifestyle or address the reasons LONG TERM for their issues with food. Keep doing what you are doing. Don't let this rock you. Slow and steady is the way! Good luck
  • sarawilson1986
    sarawilson1986 Posts: 7 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Hi! I had a Sleeve Gastrectomy almost 4 years ago. I am now back to almost the weight I started at, it's not a quick fix. I would SO try and do it yourself as A) you will feel SO much better in yourself and B ) you can still eat a 'normal' amount of food. I do not enjoy my meals anymore. I never feel satisfied, just uncomfortably full after a meal, as it sneaks up on me. The psychological effect on me was/is rubbish aswel. This is why I have invested in a personal trainer and nutritionist to really help me. I know its hard, at 26 stone, I'm there, and its totally rubbish. But I would exhaust every other option before you do the surgery, that's just my opinion from my own experience. I'm not a Dr, far from it. Good Luck!! xxxxxxxx
  • WendyLaubach
    WendyLaubach Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    The bypass surgery is controversial. The fact that he thinks you might be a candidate for it is interesting, but you should certainly discuss it with another professional who can help you think through its pros and cons. No elective surgery should be grabbed with both hands before you've had a chance to think it through and get comfortable with the idea. I can imagine how shocking it was to have it suggested, though; as you say, it's a real dash of cold water. Luckily, you're already on the track to dealing with it and have proved to yourself that you have some reasonable options. Don't rush this decision.
  • srecupid
    srecupid Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    235 is bad but, not so bad I would get surgery for if there were other options. How old are you and are you in decent health otherwise? If so I would try to do it on my own. Or at the very least try another doctor. As long as you aren't in the iminent threat of death I wouldn't resort to surgery immediately
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    I'd be horrified by this too. Gastric bypass surgery is not to be taken lightly. It's still a surgery, which always comes with risks. It might lead to weight loss, but you will never be able to eat normally again. You've been doing it on your own so far - keep going. I had a BMI of 35 when I first started and I've lost 70 pounds so far all on my own.
  • bmwny1
    bmwny1 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I would get a second opinion! My mom had gastric bypass 10 years ago and still dry heaves after most meals! It is a very painful long recovery and has brought my mom to lose 90 lbs in the beginning. She started out at 240 and is 5'6". Now she is back up to 170. She doesn't even really feel better about her body because of all of the left over skin and hormone effects. You are doing awesome on your own just don't quit!
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    The way I see it, you're already at the point where the patient would give a lifestyle change a shot for a few months and see how it works out. Only in your case, you've decided it's working! Keep it up