We are all hear for the same reason - Binge eating and mental health

Options
robs_ready
robs_ready Posts: 1,488 Member
edited December 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi All,

For those of you that don't know me, I'm obviously Rob...

I've been active on hear for a few weeks now, it's been a bedrock of a lot of support, and has helped me continue my journey in a way that drives a new enthusiasm for it.

I want to share a bit about mental health, something that was for quite a long time a problem in my life, just as it is for a lot of you. Because actually this binge eating thing that a lot of us struggled with at one point in our lives (and may still do), stems from the same problem that depression and anxiety stem from.

The process for me usually goes like that, I hope others can relate;

You feel a sense of unhappiness in life, in whatever form, you hold a view of your self which is negative, which drives you to have unhappy thoughts and feel emotional states, you go the fridge to binge to take your mind off whatever it was you were thinking about.

Depression and Anxiety are just like this, sometimes on a daily basis, constantly being fixated on past problems, worries, which simultaneously drive negative thoughts and emotions, we go to our first comfort, for a lot of us, it is/was food.

I guess my point is, you can either continue to feed that vicious cycle, which actually drives you to feel worse in the long term, or you can put an end to the vicious cycle.

I've lost a lot of weight, I still have bad days, but those bad days have got less and less frequent. I've recently come off medication for the first time in 8 years, but I will tell you that by taking back control of my eating, daily cardio and weight training has helped me to build a stronger body, which equates to a stronger mind.

Take control of it today, and I promise you it will be worth it in the end.

(For the record, these are my views and you may not completely agree with them, I'm not here to debate medication or anything else, just post comments to encourage others yeah?)

Replies

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Glad things are getting better for you.
  • lore622
    lore622 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Well said and awesome for you!
    Those great feel endorphins that exercise supplies us with makes you wonder why we ever fall off track to begin with ! Well I missed them ! After a 2 year break from what was the best I ever did for myself with being fit inside and out.. I'm taking back my life on the healthy side!
    I'm new here to this app and I'm impressed and blown away at the support here, I'm gonna love it here!
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    @roblloyd89 for the short time you have been on the forum your input has been positive. Thank you.
    Congratulations on your personal achievements, and thank you for sharing what has worked for you.
    You never know if your approach may be the inspiration someone else needs to hear. That is the beauty of these forums.

Cheers, h.

ETA: You title is a little misleading. I have never binge ate and don't have any mental problem around food. Just old and lazy.
    We are all here for different reasons; some may collide. :)
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,219 Member
    Options
    ETA: You title is a little misleading. I have never binge ate and don't have any mental problem around food. Just old and lazy.

+1

• 85Cardinals
    85Cardinals Posts: 733 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I'm here for the free coffee and donuts. And to track my calories a little. Maybe lose some weight!

I am crazy about those donuts.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,026 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »

+1

+2
    Just need to have a way to know that I actually am "eating less." I don't understand how people follow that advice without calorie counting, unless they eat the same exact things everyday, which I have no interest in doing.
  • PeachesNcreamgal
    PeachesNcreamgal Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Good to know you are off medication and I agree with all your points. I am still on medication and feel better and happier but eating raw vegetables and fruits has also contributed to my overall well being. Again, congrats and I hope I can get off my meds too!!! xx
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    @roblloyd89 for the short time you have been on the forum your input has been positive. Thank you.
    Congratulations on your personal achievements, and thank you for sharing what has worked for you.
    You never know if your approach may be the inspiration someone else needs to hear. That is the beauty of these forums.

Cheers, h.

Cosign

I'm here because I ate too much and moved too little
  • robs_ready
    Options
    If you don't Have or haven't had mental health issues this thread ain't for you guys!
  • Goodgirlmartinez
    Options
    "I guess my point is, you can either continue to feed that vicious cycle, which actually drives you to feel worse in the long term, or you can put an end to the vicious cycle."

I love this.
  • middlehaitch
    Options
    @roblloyd89 I think this thread is just as important to those of us who haven't had any mental health issues.
    I really appreciate your post because it gives me a better insight into how binge eating and depression can hinder someones weight loss. It is very well worded.

Sorry if I upset you in some way.

Cheers, h.
  • robs_ready
    Options
    @roblloyd89 I think this thread is just as important to those of us who haven't had any mental health issues.
    I really appreciate your post because it gives me a better insight into how binge eating and depression can hinder someones weight loss. It is very well worded.

Sorry if I upset you in some way.

Cheers, h.

Noo not at all, you haven't upset me, I appreciate your kind words!
  • middlehaitch
    Options
    @roblloyd89 ha! That 'Noo' gave you away. I had to check your profile and you are from the UK. ( Mancunian in Canada here)

Cheers, h.
  • Clarewho
    Clarewho Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    @middlehaitch it did a bit didn't it!? :lol: Glad things are going better for you Rob x
  • Pawsforme
    Pawsforme Posts: 645 Member
    Options

Agreed.

I'm here only because my thyroid went wonky and caused me to gain about 12 pounds before I was diagnosed. I do have a tendency toward anxiety, but that totally kills my appetite. Many people lose weight when they're anxious or depressed.

• beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    roblloyd89 wrote: »
    If you don't Have or haven't had mental health issues this thread ain't for you guys!

Glad you found something that works for you but don't lump everyone into one category such as "Binge eating and mental health". We are not "all" here for the same reason. Although I do 'hear' what you are saying about being 'here'. :):)
  • ZeroDelta
    ZeroDelta Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

Cheers, h.

Cosign

I'm here because I ate too much and moved too little

Me too! :smiley:
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,026 Member
    Options
    roblloyd89 wrote: »

but the title says "we all" have mental health issues and binge eating
  • cbraitch
    cbraitch Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Well put Sir. Very much my experience. I have a level of OCD which tends to mean I'm either fanatically healthy or spectacularly off the rails. Maintaining a normal healthy lifestyle with balance is tough for me to do. Terrible family losses have made that even tougher over last 5 years but I think 'this time' may be different (although I've said that before :). Never been on a support forum before and also have recruited a buddy at work, so I'm hoping that will keep me going. Good luck all! Happy NY.