Whole Body Vibration machines (WBV) - your experiences please

Options
spud_chick
spud_chick Posts: 2,639 Member
I'm looking into these as a physical-therapy-type supplement to my moderate workouts (walking, hand weights, stationary bike). Have a lot of joint/skeletal/circulatory problems and feel like this might help recovery and enhance overall fitness in conjunction with what I already do. I am NOT evaluating it for weight loss or as a work-free fitness solution so bugger off if you came in here to yell about people looking for a 'magic weight loss pill'. I'm looking at it for PT, recovery and maybe balance improvement.

If you have actually used one of these machines at least a few times, I'd like to hear your experiences. I don't go to a gym, but I understand some gyms do have these kinds of machines. I'd especially like to hear from anyone who has a home unit, and what brands you have/recommend.

Thanks!

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Well the vibrating machine i have helps with recovery and relaxation- but that's probably not the answer you were looking for. :p
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    I wish I had one. Sounds like a nice way to relax!
  • rejectuf
    rejectuf Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Not sure there's been any science showing it's of any benefit for the average person.
  • FattyFatsoMcTubby
    FattyFatsoMcTubby Posts: 170 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Only have experience with...ah...uh...more localized vibrators. If you know what I mean.

But I do find them very therapeutic.
  • LovelyIvy466
    LovelyIvy466 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    Well the vibrating machine i have helps with recovery and relaxation- but that's probably not the answer you were looking for. :p

*begins slow clap*
  • Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    I only have a handheld wand typa thing (physiotherapy grade), now a WBVM, so I can’t speak to those. If I may chime in, though, I think it depends on what it is you’re targeting with them. I sometimes use it on my back when I have really bad points that hurt no matter how much I foam-roll them. Truth is, it only helps me with that temporarily. In terms of general body wellbeing and relaxation, the vibration to feel nice and seems to encourage my muscles to relax.

My conclusion: might help general skeletal/muscular/circulatory wellbeing, doesn’t really help trigger point pain and such.

It sounds like you know what you’re doing, but as someone with long-time chronic back pain, I find three things to really help: my deep tissue massage therapist, my chiropractor, and my foam roller.
  • moushtie
    moushtie Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I've used the Powerplate variety, if that's the kind of thing you mean. I found it very good for strengthening the muscles around my knee when I had a joint problem that meant I couldn't use things like the leg press. I also use it a lot for strengthening my calves and feet by lifting my heels with my knees slightly bent. They do have risk factors though, like some people get migraines with the vibration, and people who have had certain types of eye/ear surgery shouldn't use them, so I'd recommend looking into that before buying one.
  • scentered
    scentered Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I've just been house-sitting for a friend, and she has a 900w vibration machine - can't recall which type.
    I made a decision to use it every day for the 18 days staying there, and surprised myself by sticking to it. I haven't been to the gym for 4 years, and really struggling to get myself back there. I don't do a lot of walking either I must confess.
    Anyway, after the first session, my hips, thighs and chest ached. After session two, they ached more. As the days went by however, the aches eased and I was able to engage more with doing the arm and thigh exercises. Doing this, encouraged me to have a healthy diet, and then to do a bit more walking.
    Been home 12 days now, and have started re-using my saddle exerciser, which has been holding my jeans for longer than I care to remember.
    So, in these 4 weeks, my energy levels have improved, I'm 10 lbs lighter, and have lost a total of 6 inches from my waist, hips and thighs.

I'm even looking to go and do some classes at the gym! So, let the "experts" mock, it worked for me!
  • spud_chick
    Options
    moushtie wrote: »
    I've used the Powerplate variety, if that's the kind of thing you mean. I found it very good for strengthening the muscles around my knee when I had a joint problem that meant I couldn't use things like the leg press. I also use it a lot for strengthening my calves and feet by lifting my heels with my knees slightly bent. They do have risk factors though, like some people get migraines with the vibration, and people who have had certain types of eye/ear surgery shouldn't use them, so I'd recommend looking into that before buying one.

I just had eye surgery so I will look into the exclusions. My feet are a mess from multiple and botched surgeries so lower leg and foot/ankle strengthening was one of the things I was hoping for.

Thank you! This is exactly the kind of information I was after.
  • spud_chick
    edited April 2015
    Options
    scentered wrote: »
    I've just been house-sitting for a friend, and she has a 900w vibration machine - can't recall which type.
    I made a decision to use it every day for the 18 days staying there, and surprised myself by sticking to it. I haven't been to the gym for 4 years, and really struggling to get myself back there. I don't do a lot of walking either I must confess.
    Anyway, after the first session, my hips, thighs and chest ached. After session two, they ached more. As the days went by however, the aches eased and I was able to engage more with doing the arm and thigh exercises. Doing this, encouraged me to have a healthy diet, and then to do a bit more walking.
    Been home 12 days now, and have started re-using my saddle exerciser, which has been holding my jeans for longer than I care to remember.
    So, in these 4 weeks, my energy levels have improved, I'm 10 lbs lighter, and have lost a total of 6 inches from my waist, hips and thighs.

I'm even looking to go and do some classes at the gym! So, let the "experts" mock, it worked for me!

Good information, thanks! And if you can find out the brand, please report back.

Also, I'm happy for you that you found an enjoyable way (or it sounds like it was) back into being active :smile:
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    I use powerplates, but more for the massage feature as a cool down and to ease aching limbs/ injuries.
  • spud_chick
    Options
    I used to use them for my scoliosis to strengthen my lower back muscles. My PT wouldn't let me do a lot of core training and heavy lifting until I was able to sustain a certain level. The worst part about this is how itchy I would get.

Good to know, I also have a curvature and an old low back/hip injury. Thanks! I don't guess you know what kind of machine it was...? Glad it helped you.
  • karen_fitzgibbon
    karen_fitzgibbon Posts: 736 Member
    Options
    Only have experience with...ah...uh...more localized vibrators. If you know what I mean.

But I do find them very therapeutic.

Bahahahahaha
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

*begins slow clap*

Thank you for partaking with me. I appreciate that tremendously. A couple of serious comments and I felt like my humor was unappreciated.
  • SimplyMicheleR
    SimplyMicheleR Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I just got one. There IS a lot of science behind them - they were developed by the Russian Cosmonaut program, primarily to maintain/improve bone density in astronauts, but they have documented many more benefits as well. While it does not take the place of "real" exercise, it can help a lot for people who can't, for various reasons, exercise in traditional ways.

I have Fibro, and was using one of these at a friend's house whenever I went over, and it really helped my pain levels. The more my friend uses it, the more unexpected health benefits she is seeing (she got it primarily for pain relief as well, but has found her clothes fitting better too....)

All that said, there are contraindications, as with any exercise. Biggest thing most don't know is to start really slow, as in 1-2 minutes and work up by 1 minute a day, with use of a total of no more than 20 minutes a day.