Always thirsty?

I just started this week and I feel like I am ALWAYS thirsty. I am not talking a little bit, I am talking parched! Has anyone else experienced this?

Kristine

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Have you had a check up with your doctor lately?
  • ise311
    ise311 Posts: 107 Member
    Have you checked for signs of diabetes?
  • maasha81
    maasha81 Posts: 733 Member
    ise311 wrote: »
    Have you checked for signs of diabetes?

This ...extreme thirst is a common symptom
  • hammergirl0801
    hammergirl0801 Posts: 11 Member
    I just had a check up a month ago and they did all sorts of blood work, so it is not that. It is really strange. It started happening when I started MFP. It is fine, I am drinking a ton of water, which is good. But really strange!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,052 Member
    Are you on any new medications? Some of them cause thirst.
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    I just started this week and I feel like I am ALWAYS thirsty. I am not talking a little bit, I am talking parched! Has anyone else experienced this?

Kristine

Started what this week? Losing weight? Exercising? Both?

What are you drinking and eating? As mentioned, diabetes makes one thirsty. As does sodium intake. As does forced air heating in the winter and AC in the summer. As does cold weather in the winter.

Let thirst be your guide - not some number of glasses of water or some recommendation of a number of ounces per day we should be drinking. When you exercise, your body has a hard time keeping up with the fluid loss. Your thirst could be from that.

• hammergirl0801
    hammergirl0801 Posts: 11 Member
    Tracking my calories and exercising. But I think your right, it is the weather. It has been so dry and cold here the last few days that I think that might be it. I am really stuffy today so maybe I am jut getting a cold?
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member

Kristine

Started what this week? Losing weight? Exercising? Both?

What are you drinking and eating? As mentioned, diabetes makes one thirsty. As does sodium intake. As does forced air heating in the winter and AC in the summer. As does cold weather in the winter.

Let thirst be your guide - not some number of glasses of water or some recommendation of a number of ounces per day we should be drinking. When you exercise, your body has a hard time keeping up with the fluid loss. Your thirst could be from that.

This
  • elsinora
    elsinora Posts: 398 Member
    When you said you got bloodwork done, did they specifically check for diabetes? When you get blood tests, you have to do very different and specific processes for hundreds of things. You don't just stick you blood in a machine and it pops out with all the results ... I just would check because I know 3 people who only found out later in life they had type 1 (not weight related) diabetes.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,626 Member
    some people are just thirsty. im one of them. always have been. perfect labs. lol. as long as your doc says your fine, drink up :)

just make sure youre drinking water and not constantly wasting calories on liquids
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    It's not uncommon, when you start drinking more water, to feel thirsty a lot. I don't know why it works that way.