Fellow hypothyroid people

Options
i have hypothyroid and constantly struggle with my weight. Looking for friends that can relate. Add me :)

Replies

• Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Start feeding that Tyroid (Iodoral, 1ea per day), and quit eating bread poisoning it via Bromide).
  • jamiemommy
    jamiemommy Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    me too:( It's so frustrating! it makes for very very slow weight loss
  • DannaDecarlo
    DannaDecarlo Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue - and I am over 50
    I also seem to love sugary foods and equate them with "good times" even though they wreak havoc on my weight loss goals ... wow that makes me sound like a real hot mess - ha! been at this for 3 years now and have a net loss of 7 pounds...
  • maerosebyelick751
    maerosebyelick751 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I've had this problem since I was 9 and im now 25. It's a battle for sure.
  • BuddhaB0y
    BuddhaB0y Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I've had "thyroid problems" all my life including a giant goiter that covered my whole throat from clavicle up around to the ears. They said it was 1.5 pounds when they surgically removed it.

Not saying it isn't a challenge getting synthroid levels right and getting cravings under control. But I didn't start losing weight till I stopped using my thyroid as an excuse and started looking at how much I was actually eating.

I started eating a 1600-2000 cal diet daily since November 15 approx and as of today I'm down 41 pounds. And that's with no thyroid and severe mobility issues.

Get your levels right and accurately count your calories and you should have success too.

I've got a long way to go, but being honest with myself was the first step.

Good luck ladies
  • amythomas2
    amythomas2 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I have lost almost 40lbs in 9 months since being diagnosed with hypothyroidism and still adjusting my medication.
    I don't find it harder as such but I do have to make sure I'm as accurate as I possibly can be with my weighing and calorie counting (although I have nothing to compare with a normal functioning thyroid if that makes sense)
    I have , however, had no movement on the scales in 8 weeks now despite being vigilant with my weighing and calories so along with some other symptoms I'm having, I've got another blood test next week as chances are my medication needs altering again. I'm hoping for a 'whoosh' afterwards!

Good luck to you, you can do it
  • NJGamerChick
    NJGamerChick Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I have hypothyroidism and insulin resistance (hoping the ir is in remission), so I understand the struggle. It's possible, though slow. Feel free to add me. :)
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    If your thyroid levels are stable, you should still be able to lose weight. Use a food scale, log accurately, and it will come. https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10257474/starting-out-restarting-basics-inside#latest
  • NJGamerChick
    NJGamerChick Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    amythomas2 wrote: »
    I have lost almost 40lbs in 9 months since being diagnosed with hypothyroidism and still adjusting my medication.
    I don't find it harder as such but I do have to make sure I'm as accurate as I possibly can be with my weighing and calorie counting (although I have nothing to compare with a normal functioning thyroid if that makes sense)
    I have , however, had no movement on the scales in 8 weeks now despite being vigilant with my weighing and calories so along with some other symptoms I'm having, I've got another blood test next week as chances are my medication needs altering again. I'm hoping for a 'whoosh' afterwards!

Good luck to you, you can do it

This happened to me once for months, like nothing was happening, the scale wasn't moving, the inches weren't either, and then I had a double "whoosh" where I dropped 30 pounds and 3-4 sizes in a month. It was awesome.
  • amythomas2
    amythomas2 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Oh wow! That's really good to know! I just keep thinking to myself I'm doing myself good on the inside by keeping this going and one day I will be repaid lol!
  • Shells918
    Shells918 Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    I was just diagnosed this year (2015) with hypothyroidism. I've been on synthroid for about 7 months. I think it's at the correct dosage now, but I had to go on cytomel too because my t3free was still off and I was losing tons of hair. I'm losing weight a bit faster now, about a pound a week. I exercise 6 days a week using videos at home, and I eat low carb. Since December 5 when I added the cytomel I've lost 5 pounds. It took me 2 months to lose the previous 4 pounds, so it must be helping.
  • StacyChrz
    StacyChrz Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with hypothyroid when I was 8 years old and have always struggled with my weight. My parents always told me I would have a tougher time because of my "condition" and did their best, but they just didn't know better. I have done significantly better since I admitted to myself that I was using Hypothyroid as an excuse and I simply enjoy food, and too much of it. When my Synthroid level is where it needs to be and I eat a reasonable diet and get a reasonable amount of exercise I have no trouble losing weight. That's not to say that it can take time to get your levels dialed in, because it can, but once that's done there is nothing Hypothyoid related that will prevent you from losing weight. I clearly have a long way to go to get myself to where I want to be, but I know that by eating healthy and exercising I will absolutely get there, AND SO WILL YOU!
  • pineygirl
    pineygirl Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I'm finding it much easier to lose now that I know I have hypothyroidism and I'm medicated and my TSH is back under 1.

I never had many symptoms of hypothyroidism. My hands and feet were always freezing and my nailbeds would turn blue if I got the slightest chill.

Any time I'd go to the doctor and they'd check my heart rate they'd ask if I was really athletic because it was always in the 40's. I never thought anything of it.

I found out early in my first pregancy (which I lost) that my TSH was 12 and my free T4 was low. It took a while to get my dose right due to a series of pregnancies and miscarriages and one live birth.

But I remember before I got pregnant the first time trying so hard to lose 10lbs....it took me over 90 days to lose like 3lbs. And I was eating 1200 caloies per day and logging accurately.

Now my thyroid is stable and I've lost all the baby weight from my 16 month old son and then some. I'm down 15lbs since late October.

It's much easier to lose weight now that I'm taking Synthroid.

• Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is definitely possible once you're medicated properly. Be sure you are and be your own best advocate. There's a normal range for a reason (know what range your doc/insurance company is using--they vary). If you're in the normal range and don't feel OK, speak up! You don't have to accept you'll never feel OK again.
  • StacyChrz
    StacyChrz Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Psychgrrl wrote: »
    Weight loss is definitely possible once you're medicated properly. Be sure you are and be your own best advocate. There's a normal range for a reason (know what range your doc/insurance company is using--they vary). If you're in the normal range and don't feel OK, speak up! You don't have to accept you'll never feel OK again.

This is a very good point. Also remember that once you are in the 'normal' range you may not stay there. If you start to notice changes in how you feel be sure to talk to your doc. I thought I might have Lyme Disease due to body aches and fatigue, turned out the generic thyroid hormone I was taking wasn't at the dose it was marketed at. I have stayed on name brand and haven't had a problem since.
  • maerosebyelick751
    Options
    Thank you guys. I've heard myths that certain food like peanuts or sesame make thyroid worse. Thoughts?
  • starwhisperer6
    starwhisperer6 Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    The only issue I have is that I forget to take my medicine fairly often :( I need to get better about that. But I haven't ever had a weight issue with it as much as exhaustion.
  • ElizabethAN2017
    ElizabethAN2017 Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys. I've heard myths that certain food like peanuts or sesame make thyroid worse. Thoughts?

I've heard the same with regards to:

Soy;
    Peanuts;
    Millet;
    Bamboo shoots; and
    RAW Cruciferous vegetables (broccoli, cauliflower, brussel sprouts and cabbage)

It's also not good to consume dairy products or high fibre items close to the time that you take your thyroid meds, as they affect the absorption.

I think some of these things may affect some people more than others depending on how severe the hypothyroidism is and how much one has to be supplemented.
  • maerosebyelick751
    Options
    M
    The only issue I have is that I forget to take my medicine fairly often :( I need to get better about that. But I haven't ever had a weight issue with it as much as exhaustion.
    My problem too. It affects my weight but I don't consider myself bad.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    I initially avoided the potentially "bad thyroid" foods listed along with stone fruits (peaches, etc.)

Then I added them back in--made no difference to me. But some hypos I know believe they do make them feel worse. You could take them out one at time and see how you feel.