Healthy Cereal

Options
Is there such a thing as healthy cereal? I thought I was doing well by eating Special K- because I thought that sugar was really the bad guy where cereal was concerned. So I searched and searched for a cereal with low sugar that didn't taste like chewing on wooden sticks. Now after looking at sodium content as well as all the fortified vitamins they add to cereals- it seems that they aren't really "healthy" options. If cereal was a good option then they wouldn't have to add so many vitamins and minerals to it to call it healthy. Do any of you have a cereal that you feel is healthy? I'm talking about something you can find in a mainstream grocery store, not something obscure only available at a specialty store (I live overseas so have limited options anyway).

Replies

• shannonpatton
    shannonpatton Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I've always lost weight on Special K fruit & Yogurt. The sugar isn't too bad bc I'm a diabetic so I have to watch it. I think all cereal will have some sugar unless you want it to taste like what you said, woodchips. Lol! I love eating it bc it takes care of my sweet cravings :)
  • shopgirl192
    shopgirl192 Posts: 102
    Options
    I just stick with Multigrain Cheerios with 1/4 cup of blueberries and 1/2 a banana! Or Rice Krisipies!
  • heathernadam
    heathernadam Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I started making my own granola. Super healthy, filling, and you can put in whatever you like! I love pecans and craisins. Also, to cut down on the calories and fat a bit I did half the oil called for and replaced with applesauce. Not too bad tho, when I entered my recipe into MFP it was 130 calories for 1/3 cup. Plus, it's all wholesome ingredients.
  • KidP
    KidP Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I tried a variety of things & eventually settled on Steel Cut Oats and also Red River Cereal (which i guess you can only get in Canada). With the Oats, you can add stuff to it to make it taste less, uh, stick like. I actually like both a lot now, even with nothing added. I tried one of my previous old favs the other day for the first time in months (Banana Nut Cheerios) and now i find it to be waaay too sweet.
  • calliope_music
    calliope_music Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    i am generally a fan of things made by Kashi, as well as granola or mini shredded wheat (frosted or unfrosted).

i don't think i will ever be able to give up cereal - it's quick and easy and generally cheap. just make sure you balance out your meal too...i eat a piece of fruit and yogurt with mine and i'm usually able to make it until lunch.

also, oatmeal (straight up plain) is good for you too! of course there will be sugar but none of it is added sugar.
  • jane130
    jane130 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Kashi Go lean Crunch is my favorite. About 200 calories per cup and a lot of protein and fiber. Cereal is great because they put in a lot of extras like vitamins and minerals (iron) that you may not be getting enough of.
  • jfer1977
    jfer1977 Posts: 139
    Options
    I really like Smart Start (a little spendy, so I only buy it on sale or coupons), Multi-Grain Cheerios and Cinnamon Burst Cheerios. I really like the Cinnamon Burst Cheerios with half a banana in it.
  • enlarsh
    enlarsh Posts: 67
    Options
    I generally don't like cereal for breakfast, but I will munch on Kashi Go Lean as a snack during the day.
  • jillerin457
    Options
    If you're being careful about sugar, you don't need to get too hung up on sodium unless a doctor has specifically advised you to watch it. Most people don't have a sodium problem -- you need it to balance the potassium in your diet, so slicing half a banana on your cereal should take care of it, unless you have a BP issue!
  • PlanetVelma
    PlanetVelma Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    I just stick with Multigrain Cheerios with 1/4 cup of blueberries and 1/2 a banana! Or Rice Krisipies!

I love multigrain cheerios, YUM!
  • JLervold86
    JLervold86 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Special K Protein Plus is awesome, lower in sugar and still tastes awesome... I also like the Kashi go lean (not the go Lean crunch, just the regular one) and the Kashi Heart to Heart.
  • Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    I like F-Factor cereals. High in fiber 18 grams for 1/2 cup serving and 4 grams of protein.

http://www.ffactorfoods.com/detail_fiberSkinnys.php
  • MzMiller1215
    MzMiller1215 Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    I really enjoy Quaker oatmeal. I can add brown sugar instead of granulated sugar. Yum!
  • Erica1965
    Erica1965 Posts: 36
    Options
    I love Total with Omega 3. It's yummy and very healthy!
    check it out
    http://www.totalcereal.com/compare.aspx
  • coolsmartygirl
    coolsmartygirl Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Special K Protein Plus is awesome, lower in sugar and still tastes awesome... I also like the Kashi go lean (not the go Lean crunch, just the regular one) and the Kashi Heart to Heart.

When I was a teenager I use to go to my grandma's house all the time and she had kasi heart to heart and she didn't drink milk, she drank half and half so that's what I always had with it. Now I buy it and try it with regular 2% and it just doesn't taste the same :(

I like kix and I use to eat a lot of multigrain cheerios but kind of got burnt out on them.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I eat Kashi Go Lean Crunch. The only bad thing is one bowl will always put me over on sugar.
  • jessievb87
    Options
    I like the Kashi cereals too. I find myself less concerned with the sugar content and more concerned with the fiber (bonus, most of the cereals with higher amounts of fiber seem to also have less sugar, but this probably isn't the case with all). Maybe try a high fiber or an all bran cereal with some dried fruit.