Sweet Tooth Alternatives

Options
I always enjoy a piece of chocolate (okay more than a piece) after a meal but I need to get healthy and lose weight so I wanted some advice on what I can replace the chocolate and cookies with and still get that sweetness I crave.

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Is there a problem with the chocolate and cookies? Are you staying in your calorie goal? I use oreos to meet my fat macro, as well as dark chocolate.

I have alternatives as well but I don't really like suggesting them on the forums because they get poo pooed around here.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    You don't have to replace it; you can just log it and count it as part of your daily calories. That's the beauty of this program. That said, I have a friend who mixes up a tablespoon of honey with a little cinnamon in hot water and that does it for her. About 65 calories.
  • Lynzdee18
    Lynzdee18 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I would like to hear of some alternates besides fruit..... If homemade anything chocolate is in my house, I cannot stop. Best not to have the homemade goodies within reach.....
  • 100df
    100df Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    Low calorie yogurt. Yoplait has dessert type flavors
    Berries with a serving of cool whip
    Sugar free pudding. I sometimes mix cool whip to make it like mousse
    Lifesavers
    Skinny Cow ice cream. They make candy too but I haven't tried it

Depending on how many calories you have to work with, eating cookies and the Iike won't fit because you need the calories for more filling food.
  • arditarose
    Options
    Lynzdee18 wrote: »
    I would like to hear of some alternates besides fruit..... If homemade anything chocolate is in my house, I cannot stop. Best not to have the homemade goodies within reach.....

Okay fine I'll do it.

-Baking with protein powder and pumpkin, you can make a lot of little low calorie baked goods and top with Edy's slow churned ice cream which only has about 110 calories per serving.
    -I use Walden Farms chocolate sauce, many don't like it but I think it's great. I put it on 0% Greek yogurt with powdered peanut butter. Sometimes I'll crush up one oreo for a sweet crunch.
    -Kodiak pancakes. One serving is 130 calories. I use the Walden Farms zero calorie pancake syrup which is actually really good. Powdered peanut butter is also great on these.
    -Artic Zero ice cream-definitely poo pooed on here. 150 calories for the pint but I add the WF chocolate syrup, and mix ins like the powdered peanut butter or a cookie. Really makes it taste better.
    -Zoats. Oats bulked up with zucchini and you can top with whatever sweet mix in/cookies you like.
    -Frozen yogurt. Stonyfield has a pint for 400 calories. 100 calories per serving.
  • arditarose
    Options
    Lynzdee18 wrote: »

Okay fine I'll do it.

-Baking with protein powder and pumpkin, you can make a lot of little low calorie baked goods and top with Edy's slow churned ice cream which only has about 110 calories per serving.
    -I use Walden Farms chocolate sauce, many don't like it but I think it's great. I put it on 0% Greek yogurt with powdered peanut butter. Sometimes I'll crush up one oreo for a sweet crunch.
    -Kodiak pancakes. One serving is 130 calories. I use the Walden Farms zero calorie pancake syrup which is actually really good. Powdered peanut butter is also great on these.
    -Artic Zero ice cream-definitely poo pooed on here. 150 calories for the pint but I add the WF chocolate syrup, and mix ins like the powdered peanut butter or a cookie. Really makes it taste better.
    -Zoats. Oats bulked up with zucchini and you can top with whatever sweet mix in/cookies you like.
    -Frozen yogurt. Stonyfield has a pint for 400 calories. 100 calories per serving.
  • Hfeff
    Hfeff Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    Is there a problem with the chocolate and cookies? Are you staying in your calorie goal? I use oreos to meet my fat macro, as well as dark chocolate.

I have alternatives as well but I don't really like suggesting them on the forums because they get poo pooed around here.

The problem is that I eat too many and can't control my eating. I am not keeping to my calories sand don't want to bring the junk into the house anymore.
  • kimbalion23
    kimbalion23 Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    Many times I have 1-2 servings of semi-sweet chocolate chips. They are not sweet enough for me to eat the whole bag, so that help with portion control. At 70 calories a serving they can satisfy my craving.
  • allyphoe
    allyphoe Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I've weaned myself to less-sweet chocolate. So if you like milk chocolate, try semi-sweet, then maybe a 60% dark, then keep increasing the percentage until it satisfies your chocolate craving without triggering a sugar craving. The Ghirardelli 100% Cacao baking bars are actually pretty tasty, once you get used to it. 80 calories a square, and one square is plenty.
  • ise311
    ise311 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Chocolates and ice cream... I can't say no to these two. :s
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    there is no alternative to chocolate. i regularly make it fit in my calorie goals. like almost every day. lol
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    You don't have to replace it, you can work it in. However, I do like Coco Polo and Lily's. They're sweetened with Stevia and have way fewer calories than sugar sweetened chocolate and I love the taste.
  • crb426
    crb426 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    Those chobani flips are pretty yummy. They are around 200 calories each, but also have the protein in them (with chocolate, etc.). The peanut butter ones are amazing! Although, most of the flavors are pretty great.
  • melonaulait
    melonaulait Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    Quest has some amazing flavors in their protein bars. The cookies n cream one definitely curbs my cravings when I have it. You could even cut one bar into smaller pieces and make it last for a couple of meals/days. It's not something I always have, but I think it's a pretty good alternative for sweets sometimes!
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Frozen fruit work wonders: bananas, strawberries, mangoes, peaches.
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    You mention going over your calorie goal. Is it too aggressive? Can you factor in some exercise to earn more calories? You really can fit in treats. I understand removing "trouble foods" from your environment, at least for a while, -- but to go whole hog and not eat ANY chocolate again seems overly restrictive.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I managed without chocolate and cookies for the first 6 months by eating granola bars, yogurt with fruit, and protein shakes instead... then had a massive binge when my sister brought me a box... Realized that it wasn't the solution and that I love chocolate, and that it was just dumb to avoid it 'because I was afraid I would binge on it', and that one piece was better than none.

Remember... it's a lifestyle change. The idea of never having chocolate again was just too sad for me, and having one piece sure as heck seemed better than not having any.
  • rak173
    rak173 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I love sweets and struggle with this. I keep skinny cow ice cream bars and find those really satisfying. Lately I have also been enjoying hot chocolate (made with skim milk) which also helps my cravings since you can sip on it for a while. In the summer I like frozen mangoes a lot.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,973 Member
    Options
    I like the chobani flips a lot. I also really like the fiber one bars. The fiber one brownies are really a good way to get a chocolate fix. And the coffee cake and lemon bar are really good too. I understand about not having it in the house. I'm not going to say I will never eat something again. But ice cream and Oreos are something I can only have on occasions. I can't keep them in the house.
  • CeciliaBobilia
    CeciliaBobilia Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Love me a banana with honey and cinnamon sprinkled on top or some yogurt.