BCAA supplements-thoughts?

Options
Hey guys! I have been doing some research on Basic Chain Amino Acid supplements and I was wondering what (if any) thoughts you had on them. Have you found them helpful for recovery and fat loss/lean muscle development?

Replies

• Janes_MFP
    Janes_MFP Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    i buy master amino acids on amazon for about $30 or so. they really help with cravings like right now. i also drink a raw meal shake by garden of life every morning. gets my nutrients started up right away.
  • Janes_MFP
    Janes_MFP Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    its called master amino pattern. MAP. blue white and gold bottle
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Branch Chain Amino Acids are simply some of the building blocks of protein. You get ample amounts of them provided your protein intake is high enough. BCAAs are present in all protein-containing foods. Red meat and dairy foods are the richest sources of branched-chain amino acids. This includes beef, bison, lamb, goat, cheese, milk and yogurt. Other excellent BCAA sources include chicken, fish and eggs. You can also get BCAAs from beans, lentils, nuts and soy protein.

Most people only recommend them if you are training fasted. They are expensive, and often unnecessary. I've used them off and on for years, but find no benefit when I am vs when I'm not. I'm just often the guinea pig for new supplements at my company.
  • canoepug56
    canoepug56 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Branch Chain Amino Acids are simply some of the building blocks of protein. You get ample amounts of them provided your protein intake is high enough. BCAAs are present in all protein-containing foods. Red meat and dairy foods are the richest sources of branched-chain amino acids. This includes beef, bison, lamb, goat, cheese, milk and yogurt. Other excellent BCAA sources include chicken, fish and eggs. You can also get BCAAs from beans, lentils, nuts and soy protein.

Most people only recommend them if you are training fasted. They are expensive, and often unnecessary. I've used them off and on for years, but find no benefit when I am vs when I'm not. I'm just often the guinea pig for new supplements at my company.

This ^^^
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    Yep I get all I need in the 150- 200 grams of protein I eat everyday
  • elite_nal
    elite_nal Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Hey guys! I have been doing some research on Basic Chain Amino Acid supplements and I was wondering what (if any) thoughts you had on them. Have you found them helpful for recovery and fat loss/lean muscle development?

There's no end to the number of different muscle building supplements that are available to supposedly help you make size and strength gains at a faster rate. Amino acid supplements are just one of the many choices out there. When it all comes down to it, amino acids are simply the building blocks of protein. Any time you consume a protein source, it will eventually be broken down into these individual amino acid components to be used around the body.

So essentially, amino acid pills and amino acid powder simply provide your body with these individual building blocks in "pre digested" free form.

There's really nothing wrong with using amino acid supplements, but they just don't provide any real advantages above and beyond consuming a regular protein source. Whey protein, chicken, eggs, fish... all of these sources are eventually broken down into amino acids anyway, and consuming liquid aminos or any other form isn't really giving you any added benefit.

If you're following a standard bodybuilding diet that delivers around 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight daily, then you're already receiving all of the amino acids you'll need to maximize growth. Adding in extra amino acid supplements just isn't necessary. Always remember that just because "some is good" doesn't mean "more is better". Your body can only build so much muscle in a given day, and any excess aminos that you consume are simply converted into energy.

So, do amino acids build muscle? Yes, but imo, there's really no need to purchase these pills or powders on their own since you'll already be receiving enough through your regular diet. Despite what some amino acid supplement reviews might tell you, it's best to leave these on the shelf and invest your money elsewhere.

I don't recommend bothering with BCAA's in the vast majority of cases unless you're an advanced trainee who is cutting and trying to get very lean/maintain every ounce of muscle possible. A high quality whey protein + the rest of your dietary protein will be enough.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    elite_nal wrote: »
    ...I don't recommend bothering with BCAA's in the vast majority of cases unless you're an advanced trainee who is cutting and trying to get very lean/maintain every ounce of muscle possible. A high quality whey protein + the rest of your dietary protein will be enough.

Cosign.

Protein is composed of amino acids, and the branched chain amino acids (leucine, isoleucine and valine) are among them. If your protein intake is adequate, you're already getting sufficient BCAAs.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    They are great not only for building muscle, but for preserving muscle while on a low calorie
    deficit. :)
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=161791793

Should I use BCAA/Amino Acids?

All complete protein is formed by BCAA/Esential Amino Acids, it's isolated free form might be useful in certain situations like on a caloric deficit, training when fasted (without eating in a long lapse of time like early morning) or when protein intake is not optimal, you'd benefit most from them on these instances. BCAA have anti-catabolic properties and several anecdotal reports on recovery and endurance.

- How much BCAA/EAA should i use?

Typical dosages range on the 8-10 grams BCAA/EAA containing 2-5 grams worth of L-Leucine for maximal muscle protein synthesis response.

- When should I take Free form BCAA/EAA?

Pre and/or Intra workout or in between meals is ideal. Consuming free form BCAA/EAA with complete protein or a meal is not optimal and blunts most of the purpose.
  • cajuntank
    cajuntank Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    If you want to nerd out a bit on the topic. Good read (best to read all parts)
    http://josephagu.com/2013/01/18/bcaas-for-bodybuilders-just-the-science-part-1/
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    cajuntank wrote: »

That is a good read... another good geeky read is

http://www.biolayne.com/wp-content/uploads/Norton-J-Nutr-2006.pdf
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    Not needed if receiving adequate protein in diet depending on your weight. They're obviously going to do good rather than harm, but their effects and significance are minute. I like them if they are gifted to me, and for the flavor, but I won't usually spend my money on them.
  • cajuntank
    cajuntank Posts: 924 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Wetcoaster wrote: »
    cajuntank wrote: »

That is a good read... another good geeky read is

http://www.biolayne.com/wp-content/uploads/Norton-J-Nutr-2006.pdf

Referencing part 3 of the link I shared actually discusses Dr. Norton's protocol he uses based on the link you shared and his thought on their effectiveness.

"Layne Norton may indeed be ahead of the game when it comes to his suggested BCAA protocol taken between meals separated by 4-6 hours. However, when compared to a sufficient protein intake (2.5-3g/kg) spread over the typical 3-4 meals (as suggested in part 2), I can’t see how this tactic could be much more beneficial, if at all. To quote Alan Aragon speaking about Layne Norton about the very topic:

“it’s crucial to realize that [Layne’s BCAA protocol] might be miniscule and not worth the effort or expense for non-competitive populations. In repeated personal communication, he has admitted to me that this tactic is done in attempt to clinch a very small edge to win. As a top-level, drug-free competitor, it’s justifiable to exploit all hypothetical nutritional means within reason in order to conjure the last bit of potential.” "

For me personally, I keep them around purely for the odd circumstance (once in a "blue moon") of being low on protein goal for the day while being too close to calorie goal (primary goal) that I deem it better to have some incomplete protein than over nothing at all to stay under calories for the day and "attempt" to maintain protein goals (secondary goal)...hope that made sense.
  • RobotPhysique
    RobotPhysique Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I agree with most everything said. I take a serving upon waking, and another while training shortly thereafter... but if you're not training fasted, probably not a necessary investment.
  • DizzyMissIzzy
    DizzyMissIzzy Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys all for your input!!!

I'm not necessarily training intentionally fasted, but I do have trouble eating as much as I was told I should (my protein is always low when I hit my fat cap- even though my proteins come from lean poultry and fish, and I'm not used to the volume of food I've been trying to consume yet) and a friend suggested that because of this and the fact that I get headaches and have rough recoveries that it may be beneficial.
  • RobotPhysique
    RobotPhysique Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    my protein is always low when I hit my fat cap
    It's carbs for me, but yup... the struggle.

• elite_nal
    elite_nal Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys all for your input!!!

I'm not necessarily training intentionally fasted, but I do have trouble eating as much as I was told I should (my protein is always low when I hit my fat cap- even though my proteins come from lean poultry and fish, and I'm not used to the volume of food I've been trying to consume yet) and a friend suggested that because of this and the fact that I get headaches and have rough recoveries that it may be beneficial.

As I said from my previous post, a high quality whey protein + the rest of your dietary protein should be enough.

Whey is just as much "real food" as is chicken breast, fish or steak. This is why I don't even consider whey protein to be a "supplement" at all. Really, it's just a convenient food product that is purchased in powdered form.

The only real difference between protein shakes vs whole food is that shakes are far more convenient and are much easier to prepare. While protein powder is not mandatory to include in your program, its liquid form does make it a lot easier for you to hit your daily protein needs. For example, it's a lot easier to have 3 whole food meals and 2 shakes as opposed to 5 whole food meals only.

So, at the end of the day, the issue of whey protein powder shakes vs. "real" whole foods isn't something to worry about, and you should simply think of whey as a regular food source just like any other.
  • Erinkidd01
    Erinkidd01 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I usually take BCAAs during my heavy workouts and immediately afterwards if I feel really weak (on the walk home from the gym before a protein smoothie). I train right before dinner, so it's helpful for me to get through the workout, even if it's mental. I usually order them at the same time as my whey, which often makes them free or reduced cost.

I really love the taste of many of them, so at the very least, it helps me to drink more water without adding sugary water flavoring.