lose weight without dieting?

Options
I spent 4 months dieting and exercising for a cruise me and my boyfriend were going on. I was down to 145 when I found out I was pregnant. On our cruise I had a miscarriage and ever since then my diet and exercise has stopped, I have gained back all the weight that I had lost since then. I feel like those 4 months were a waste of time now.

I'm willing to do the exercise but not so sure about the whole diet thing again. Anyone have any suggestions how I can lose weight without the whole dieting part?

Replies

• shopgirl192
    shopgirl192 Posts: 102
    Options
    Don't think of it as a diet. Think if it as a "lifestyle" change. I don't like when people around me ask if I'm still dieting. I'll be eating this way for the rest of my life because it's the healthy thing to do! Eating well-balanced meals and sticking within your calorie allowance is key! Fresh veggies and fruit is a great start! Same with protein! :)

And don't forget to let yourself ENJOY eating healthy. If you don't enjoy it, you won't be successful!
  • jbucci1186
    jbucci1186 Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    exercise A LOT every day? I've been told that weight loss is 80% diet and 20% exercise. Though I'm sure you would lose weight with exercise alone, the process would probably just be a lot slower.

I'm no expert though!
  • lhanks89
    lhanks89 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Swimming laps. I lost about 40 pounds in 4 months by swimming laps. Although you have to make the laps count, and do at least 100 each time you're in the pool.
  • jbucci1186
    jbucci1186 Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    and i agree- it's a lifestyle change!
  • akaugher
    akaugher Posts: 8
    Options
    Just make sure what you're eating is healthy! It's not a "diet", you're just feeding your body with good food. It's ok to have a treat every now and again, but just have food around that you enjoy and that's good for you!
  • simplysara9
    simplysara9 Posts: 521
    Options
    You don't need to be on a crazy diet. You need to a lifestyle change. Eat wholesome fresh foods rather than processed chemicals.
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't call it "waste of time". You must have learned something from those 4 months. But I'm sorry to hear about your miscarriage. Hope you feel better now.

From what I have read, theoretically you could lose by exercising alone but keep in mind that exercises don't burn as much as you would expect. It needs 3500 cal to lose one pound of fat and you'd have to walk 35 miles to get that number...Go figure.

Try to change your mindset from "dieting" to "changing lift style". Diets won't work but life style will as long as it becomes part of you. Think of something you could stick to for the rest of your life. there are lots resources online nowadays and you can eaily find something suitable to your life and your comfortable level. However it's hard work no matter what you choose to do.
  • kdsmith
    kdsmith Posts: 250
    Options
    Sorry to hear about your miscarriage, it is a hard thing to go through. I would just start out by adding in a healthy change each week...small changes like fruit for snacks can start weight loss. You could add in portion control, an extra veggie with dinner, nothing unhealthy in the evening. As you start losing weight you will feel motivated to add in additional changes.
    Kim
  • divades
    divades Posts: 145
    Options
    I hope for the same thing. I exercise a lot and wish it was all it took.
  • Kolohe71
    Kolohe71 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Weightloss is a very simple mathimatical formula: Calories Burned > Calories Consumed = Weightloss

So provided you burn MORE than you eat, theoretically you will lose weight. Only question is how fast.

However, if you don't change your overall eating habits you'll just end up gaining the weight back as soon as you get bored of the exercise and quit.
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Because diets don't work. Lifestyle isn't a euphemism for diet. Making a lifestyle change means changing your relationship food and treating your body differently than you did in the past. The goal is to create a new pattern of eating that you can maintain for the rest of your life. hence there is no need for "cheat days" because you plan how you can incorporate things like sweets or whatever your weakness is into your daily life.

So the question is can you adopt a healthy eating pattern that you can maintain for life?
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    At some point it just comes down to simple math, burn more than you take in and you lose weight. Eat more than you burn (exercise and daily living) and you gain weight.

I was able to put on weight while running 50 miles a week because I was eating too much = simple math.
  • JennsLosing
    JennsLosing Posts: 1,026
    Options
    Don't think of it as a diet. Think if it as a "lifestyle" change. I don't like when people around me ask if I'm still dieting. I'll be eating this way for the rest of my life because it's the healthy thing to do! Eating well-balanced meals and sticking within your calorie allowance is key! Fresh veggies and fruit is a great start! Same with protein! :)

And don't forget to let yourself ENJOY eating healthy. If you don't enjoy it, you won't be successful!
    very good advice = ) bravo!