Juicing

Options
I'm curious if anyone has used a juicer, and if so, what recipes did you like? Any general comments about your juicing experience are also welcome.

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Juicing is a pain in the butt, cleaning the juicer when done. I eat my veggies and fruits with all the fiber intact. Juicing left me crazy hungry.
  • AntsyAngler
    AntsyAngler Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I love to have fresh juice occasionally. One of my faves is carrot (1lb)- ginger (a finger size chunk)- apple (1)... sometimes I put a quarter or half of a beet in there too. I also like kale carrot juice with half a hot pepper and a squeeze of lemon. It's fun to just try out combinations.
  • 1stplace4health
    1stplace4health Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Cucumber, celery, spinach, lemon, blueberries, strawberries, & chia seeds yum. Mine blends it all, nothing is extracted. Put a drop of dish soap and hot water and turn on the juicer. Cleans it in seconds.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Cucumber, celery, spinach, lemon, blueberries, strawberries, & chia seeds yum. Mine blends it all, nothing is extracted. Put a drop of dish soap and hot water and turn on the juicer. Cleans it in seconds.

I don't think that's a juicer, that's a high powered blender. It makes a smoothie, not juice. A juicer extracts the juice and leaves the pulp behind.

OP I really love fresh juice, but between the cost of all the produce needed to make one cup and the time spent prepping and cleaning, I gave it up. Now I make smoothies in a Vitamix to get my fruits & veggies in.
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »

I don't think that's a juicer, that's a high powered blender. It makes a smoothie, not juice. A juicer extracts the juice and leaves the pulp behind.

OP I really love fresh juice, but between the cost of all the produce needed to make one cup and the time spent prepping and cleaning, I gave it up. Now I make smoothies in a Vitamix to get my fruits & veggies in.

^^^^This! Same here. I bought a highly rated juicer on Amazon. (I got all excited after watching Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead.) It worked just fine, but I felt like I spent a fortune on the produce. It broke my heart to throw out all the pulp, so I ended up making tons of soup (which wasn't really all that great). It also made quite a big mess on the kitchen counter and was a pain and time consuming to clean up the juicer afterwards.

Now I use a nutribullet to make smoothies with the same veggies and get to enjoy the nutritional value of the juice along with the fiber. Less mess and limited clean-up!
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    I have a juicer that I use to make beet, celery and lemon juice. It's good for my blood pressure and the beet juice right before a workout improves my workout. I don't do juice fasts or use it for meals and I try to keep my juices fairly heavy on the vegetables. If I do fruit I tend to make smoothies since that uses the whole thing.
  • KellieTru
    KellieTru Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I have an Omega J8006--cleanup is a breeze. I like orange, baby spinach, and ginger root. I only juice occasionally; not as a meal replacement.
    Incidentally I used my juicer in December for pomegranates...a little time consuming but was able to use it in a mixed drink for a dinner party. I was really pleased with the drink and so were my guests.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    Fiber. Keep it. Get a vitamix, ninja or nutribullet instead.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I've never understood the attraction to juicing. To me, it's expensive, messy, and boring. Also, it's usually solitary. I much prefer steamed or roasted veggies properly seasoned and eaten at a meal in the company of others. I've never thought that blending up your food and drinking it sounded unappetizing.
  • megpie41
    megpie41 Posts: 164 Member
    Options

I completely agree. Fiber is key. If you juice, you are getting all the fruit sugar with none of the fiber to properly metabolize it (this can lead to weight gain). Get a good blender (recommend the Vitamix). I throw an apple, orange, banana, ginger, a little water and some ice into the Vitamix and have an all natural fruit smoothie. I sometimes add some oatmeal or chia seeds to it to increase the protein.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

Yep, third this! I've got a nutri bullet and it blends every thing i throw at it. You get to keep ALL the food you put in it, zero wastage and plenty of fibre.
  • shaumom
    shaumom Posts: 1,003 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I have a juicer, but don't use it often, for the following reasons.
    1. You can have some unintended nutritional results. You get more sugar and less fiber, yes, but more importantly, you can get TOO much of some substances that are actually not good for you in high amounts. For example, you get oxalates when you eat spinach, but to get enough to be unhealthy, you would have to eat WAY more spinach than anyone would ever eat. Unless you juice, and then you get a lot more spinach because it is concentrated in the juice, being blended up, and therefore a lot more oxalates.

Some things like that happen with a number of foods, and can be not so great.

2. Juicers are a pain to clean, or if they are easy, they require expensive disposable filters.

However, when I do juice, I will usually save the pulp and use it to make crackers - you can make fruit and veggie crackers from pulp in dehydrators or the over, and they are typically all right to outright yummy. lots of recipes online.
  • CiaraLeeMaxwell
    CiaraLeeMaxwell Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    If you garden you can use the pulp there. Make compost. Send it back to the earth. :)
  • lingo10
    lingo10 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I like it as a snack or add onto my meal. I use my nutribullet or ninja blender. I got some of the most interesting recipes off pinterest And not to mention macrobiotic and smoothie juice books, i got a ton lol. I add in my own fiber, chia seeds, protein powder, hemp, anything i feel.

If you go to a health food place, they often use the vitamix or some other professional high powered blender, so everything pulverizes instantly. So all blenders are good but the best ones i love are a smooth juice like consistency or can add ice to make frothy treats :D
  • becky10rp
    becky10rp Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    I know some people love juicing, but it's always seemed to be so wasteful to me. Want fiber - eat a piece of fruit - incorporate more veggies into your diet. Why invest in a fancy machine that takes forever to clean, and makes a lot of waste?
  • MorganMoreaux
    MorganMoreaux Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    OP - not certain what type of juicer you have. If you have a cold pressed juicer (with an agar), these recipes are pretty good. However, they probably won't be appropriate for a centrifuge style juicer, as they don't process green very well.

1 bunch kale
    1 med red beet
    3 carrots
    2 apples

Or

1 bunch kale
    1/3 fresh pineapple

This one is like dessert!

To the people remarking how difficult to clean and wasteful juicer are - it depends on the type. You're probably talking about a centerfuge style which remove much more pulp/fiber and take longer to clean.

I have a cold press juicer that leaves very little waste ~ 1 cup per juice session, and takes less than 5 minutes to clean - doesn't use paper filters or what not.

To the people remarking about removing the fiber and just having fruit/veggies - not everyone can have a lot of fiber. There are several gastrointestinal disorders that require one to have a low fiber diet. Juicing is a good alternative which allows them to get nutrients without the huge quantity of fiber. If you consume the juice with a meal or in a smoothie then you don't have to worry about the carb load.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    taylor316 wrote: »
    I'm curious if anyone has used a juicer, and if so, what recipes did you like? Any general comments about your juicing experience are also welcome.

Nope, never saw any reason to buy food and throw away a good portion of it. Juicing removes all the fiber. Fiber is what fills you up and aids digestion.