50 Miles in January

hookermf
hookermf Posts: 9 Member
Hi All,
In addition to my regular workouts, I'm attempting to run 50 total miles for the month of January. I'm not an avid runner, but have completed a couple of 10-mile races and plenty of 5ks. If you can't run, then walk. Anyone up for the challenge?

Replies

• MorningGhost14
    MorningGhost14 Posts: 441 Member
    Come join the January Running Challenge in the Challenges section... lots of fun active runners/posters...
  • hookermf
    I had no idea Fitness Pal had all these groups and forums! I've been using it to count calories and exercise, but never searched further. I will check it out, thank you! Should I just delete this post?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,843 Member
    You can ask a mod to zap your thread by using Flag > Report > This is my post and I want to delete it
  • hookermf
    MorningGhost14. 185 miles for January?!? Wow! I feel silly for attempting 50.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,843 Member
    hookermf wrote: »

Eh, I'm in the Walking to Mordor Challenge and most people get far more miles than I do, but it doesn't stop me from continuing to improve my own amount :)
  • hookermf
    You are so right! I shouldn't be comparing. It's a challenge for ME and that's all that matters
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Dont let that stop you. Its a great running group for all levels. There is also a greatbwalking group
  • hookermf
    Dont let that stop you. Its a great running group for all levels. There is also a greatbwalking group
    Thank you!!

• MorningGhost14
    MorningGhost14 Posts: 441 Member
    @hookermf... I am 58 and have had my hips replaced twice... and only started running four and a half years ago... and could barely get a mile.... so you will have no problem getting to wherever you want to go... definitely join us... I think its most supportive, upbeat group on MFP...
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    How long since your last long race and how many miles have you been running recently? If you haven't been running much recently I suggest taking it slow. While 50 miles is a great goal, it could be the cause of injury and/or burnout if your body is not ready.

Good luck.
  • hookermf
    @hookermf... I am 58 and have had my hips replaced twice... and only started running four and a half years ago... and could barely get a mile.... so you will have no problem getting to wherever you want to go... definitely join us... I think its most supportive, upbeat group on MFP...

Thank you!
  • hookermf
    dewd2 wrote: »
    How long since your last long race and how many miles have you been running recently? If you haven't been running much recently I suggest taking it slow. While 50 miles is a great goal, it could be the cause of injury and/or burnout if your body is not ready.

Good luck.

I only run an occasional mile or two pre workout. My last 10 miler was last April. I cried when I crossed the finish line because my hip hurt so badly. I've been trying a mile or two here and there to test it out. I did 3.5 miles yesterday and 2 today. So far, it feels good.

This discussion has been closed.