Exercising in the cold?

Options
So, due to my recent joint and stomach issues, any strength training has been postponed for the next few weeks, maybe months. I'm back to walking now, but since my gym situation is difficult I can only go maybe once or twice a month right now (i rely on other people for transportation) which leaves me with the only guaranteed way for cardio is to just step outside and walk down the street (which is difficult due to no sidewalks lol...) but, it's freezing outside. Today I think it's 35F degrees. It isn't snowing, though (I live in Tennessee, one day last week it was 76F, yeah, messed up). So, my question, what do you guys do when its freezing and you need to go for a walk/run outside? Do you just bundle up? Should you bundle up? Severe cold is painful to my joints (juvenile rheumatoid arthritis), but mostly only to my hands.

If I don't get some form of exercise I stiffen up too much, I just don't want to nag at my autoimmune disorders and get sick or something from running around outside. So, what do you guys do? Obviously we will be stuck with colder weather for at least 1-2 more months (Lord only knows in the South though lol)

Replies

• rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I'm in Kentucky and just got back from a 4 mile walk at 34 degrees. I'm a layered bundler.

I focus on the places on my body where the cold really bothers me--which means earmuffs or a headband for my ears, gloves for my hands, and a scarf around my neck/throat area. I often end up taking the gloves off about halfway through an hour walk, and will also sometimes end up unzipping my jacket when my torso starts feeling sweaty/toasty under all the layers. But the ears and neck/throat stay covered!

The hubs, on the other hand, skips the scarf but always wears a hat, gloves, and usually puts on long johns and extra socks because he really feels the cold on his head and in his hips, thighs, and feet.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I am in Wisconsin and I just got back from a four mile hike at 25°. If it helps, what I wore was a pair of cuddle duds leggings, jeans, thick socks, snow walking boots (we were on trails), a sweatshirt, parka, balaclava, and mittens.

Basically, bundle up but give yourself options to cool down if you get too warm. First thing I do is take off my mittens, then I unzip my jacket a little or even all the way. The last thing I would do is take off my hat. I walk even when it is below 0°, just add more layers.
  • myssjaxson
    myssjaxson Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Okay, thank you guys! Just making sure it was O-K to bundle up a bunch and go. Now that I know I won't have a stroke or something (haha) then I'll probably wear every pair of gloves and socks I have and go.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    One thing to keep in mind is that you should dress as if it's actually a bit warmer than it really is, you may be slightly chilly to start but you'll warm up quickly. Dressing in layers is ideal but takes a little trial and error.

I run outside all year 'round and it gets as low as -40 (occasionally) here in winter.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,223 Member
    Options
    Just wear appropriate clothing. Bundle up.
  • TeleScott
    TeleScott Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Try some hand warmers in your gloves if your hands hurt in the cold.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    TeleScott wrote: »
    Try some hand warmers in your gloves if your hands hurt in the cold.

better yet, don't wear gloves. Mittens are much better at keeping your hands warm.