All I want to do is eat!!!

Options
one problem I find to not loosing weight is I'm constantly hungry! Even if had a meal, an hour later I'm hungry! I want this to change! Any one have any good foods that last a long time or any tips??? Thank you xx

Replies

• debubbie
    debubbie Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    Try eating foods with more protein, fat, and fiber than what you are currently eating. What types of foods are you eating now that you feel hungry an hour later?
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    Make sure your meals are substantial. Is your calorie goal too aggressive?
  • 4UGIRL
    4UGIRL Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Eat six meals a day each with 20grams of protein. Include healthy fats such as avocados and lots of veggies. Drink lots of water...
  • tomw86
    tomw86 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I've found that having a drink (normally water or tea) then waiting for 15 to 20 minutes helps. Often people aren't hungry but thirsty and the same signals are sent to the brain for both which can lead to confusion.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    if your diary were public, we could look and see if we would try to pinpoint a reason WHY youre hungry. could be a deficiency in something, could be too few calories, could be a hundred things.

that said, if youre new to watching what you eat, you may not really BE hungry, you might just THINK you are, as we are trained to not feel full until we gorge ourselves....
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    4UGIRL wrote: »
    Eat six meals a day each with 20grams of protein. Include healthy fats such as avocados and lots of veggies. Drink lots of water...

This may work for some but for others, like me, I actually prefer to bank a lot of calories for one big meal regularly. So a light late breakfast, work out (which is an appetite suppressant for me) and then an early substantial dinner that keeps me full the rest of the evening with perhaps some calories for a snack later. Making sure it's not carb heavy helps too, I'm a lot hungrier when I have less protein and fat.

And yes, a mug of tea/coffee can curb the hunger too. It gets easier, I promise!
  • aimicowden113
    aimicowden113 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I am new to the diary thing so only today's on there. I can eat like a pasta meal for example and still be hungry and I take a packed lunch to work and get hungry. I am going to start taking smoothies to work to help and instead of eating having a drink. But I'm hoping if I log everything I will no where I am going wrong x
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Drinking your calories can make it worse as you don't feel satisfied but have used a large number of calories. When we recommend a drink we mean low to no calories. And really, one day isn't enough to see if it's real hunger or habit hunger.

I rarely eat pasta and if I do it's not a big portion, it's just not satisfying enough for the calories. Bulking out your meal with meat (being sure to weigh it to get your calories right) and bulking with veg and a little pasta (again weighing, you'd be surprised how little you get in a serving) will make you feel fuller longer than a big bowl of pasta with a little bit of sauce.
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    1. Are you eating an appropriate amount of calories? Undereating definitely can promote ravenous hunger. People who are already fairly light need to be reasonable with their rate of loss; 2 lb/week is not really something that people under 200 lb should be doing.
    2. In general, high protein, high fiber, and low calorie density foods are the most sating. Some of it varies person to person, though, too - I find pasta to be extremely filling as long as the sauce isn't extremely calorie dense, but others don't.
    3. The first few days of a new diet are the worst in terms of hunger. Your body adjusts.
  • user001964
    user001964 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I agree with eating more protein, it will fill you up and keep you from being hungry. And small healthy snacks between meals will help too.

I've been eating an omelet with spinach for breakfast (1 whole egg, 2 egg whites, 1 cup spinach, 1 tbsp feta cheese) and it holds me over for 3 hours. On days I wake up late, I just have a bowl of cereal, but I notice I'm hungry again after a little over an hour.

You get used to eating less, it takes a couple weeks. Worry less about losing weight at the beginning and focus more on figuring out when, what, and how to eat. Once that's under control, you'll start to lose weight. Changing habits takes time!
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Eat more protein, more fat, and more low calorie high volume veggies.

If you're a snacker and like to graze, keep your meals high in protein and fat. For the times when you're not eating your meals snack on fresh veggies like carrots, celery, cucumber, greens, snap peas, etc.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    4UGIRL wrote: »

This may work for some but for others, like me, I actually prefer to bank a lot of calories for one big meal regularly. So a light late breakfast, work out (which is an appetite suppressant for me) and then an early substantial dinner that keeps me full the rest of the evening with perhaps some calories for a snack later. Making sure it's not carb heavy helps too, I'm a lot hungrier when I have less protein and fat.

And yes, a mug of tea/coffee can curb the hunger too. It gets easier, I promise!

Me too. I have to have a big dinner.

Op, what is your calorie goal for the day?
  • melonaulait
    melonaulait Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    When I started calorie counting at first, I had this problem too. You also got to give it a little time to see if your hunger only comes out of habit. But, make sure your meals are substantial!