Need cookbook or website recommendations

Options
I'm trying to eat healthier without following any strict diet such as paleo, no carb, etc. Looking to eat real, healthy food, not processed stuff and am cutting out the junk & cutting down on sugar. Any suggestions on a cookbook or even website that has healthy recipes without being part of a fad? TIA!

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    A couple that I like:

Skinnytaste.com

Cookinglight.com

Both these come in cookbook form also. Cooking Light is a magazine too.
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    skinnytaste and budgetbytes are two of my favorites :)

~Lyssa
  • stevwil41
    stevwil41 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Look for gourmetgirlcooks on Pinterest. She does the whole low carb/gluten free thing but as long as you pick and choose her recipes are fantastic. I've found that as long as you stay away from low carb baking that a lot of main dish recipes use whole foods and very few processed items. Also, I'd recommend not getting too caught up in the term "fad". Everyone sort of has their angle but just because you don't want to follow a Paleo, low carb, or gluten free diet doesn't mean that there aren't some delicious and healthy recipes on some of those sites or in the cook books. Good luck!
  • weightlossbiker
    weightlossbiker Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I like laloosh.Com. has point values for weight watchers and also has nutritional value for each recipe. Best of luck to you
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Again for SkinnyTaste, I love that site!
  • harlanJEN
    harlanJEN Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    GetWithItForLife.com . Also follow original Jen's Get With It Recipes on Pinterest @ GetWithItJEN
  • Kyrenora
    Kyrenora Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    AllRecipes.com is my favorite.
  • rejectuf
    rejectuf Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Cooking light is good. I like going to foodgawker.com for ideas. It's just a random collection, but easy enough to find a recipe that works for you.
  • flabassmcgee
    flabassmcgee Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    OhSheGlows.com

Popsugar.com

organizeyourselfskinny.com

Buzz Feed has some good stuff too.

Join Pinterest. It's amazing what kind of yummies you find on there.

foodnetwork.com

• LowCoffinLucifie
    LowCoffinLucifie Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Hungry girl website and books
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Another suggestion is just to google what you want to eat with 'healthy'. So 'healthy lasagna'. All the lower calorie recipes will pop up.

(don't want to argue about what's 'healthy' and what isn't, just saying that it's how it works and how I've found a lot of recipes)
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »
    A couple that I like:

Skinnytaste.com

Cookinglight.com

Both these come in cookbook form also. Cooking Light is a magazine too.

I agree with these. I also have found some really great recipes on Diabetic Connect ( http://www.diabeticconnect.com/diabetic-recipes ). Great healthy recipes. Who cares if they are designed to be diabetic friendly, they are also weight loss friendly.
  • flabassmcgee
    flabassmcgee Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    Hungry girl website and books

I second this!
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    Pinterest
    Crockin' Girls has a healthy crockin' recipes tag
  • Bbeliever215
    Bbeliever215 Posts: 234 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    101 cookbooks by Heidi Swanson is a great website. She takes excellent pictures and the food is tasty. I mostly make her desserts though.
  • JanetMMcC
    JanetMMcC Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    You've gotten a bunch of good suggestions. You can also keep an eye on the blog here - it often has recipes, or links to recipes. For instance, this - the URL explains what it's about. :) (I emailed it to myself to check out when I have time, so I don't lose it.)
    http://blog.myfitnesspal.com/16-must-make-recipes-for-2016-under-375-calories/

And you can always fool around with recipes in whatever other cookbooks you already have, cutting fats, adding more veg, that sorta thing.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    101 cookbooks by Heidi Swanson is a great website. She takes excellent pictures and the food is tasty. I mostly make her desserts though.

I was going to recommend this one. I love it. I don't cook from recipes, but I use it for ideas.

Epicurious and Food52 are ones I use too.

If you want a book, some good basic ones are Mark Bittman's How to Cook Everything and Fish (for, well, fish). He also has a vegetarian version. I also really liked Barbara Kafka's Vegetable Love and Greene on Greens (really about any vegetables). I also am a sucker for just about any seasonally-structured cookbook -- great way to get excited about what's in season, although it would be more helpful in a few months (where I live, anyway).