When do you start/stop your HRM?

Options
So, when I first got my HRM I used to start it as soon as my workout class started (aside from outdoor activities, I only take classes) and stopped it as soon as the class ended. But, I've been seeing a lot of posts where people say they only start it if their HR is above a certain percentage, stop it at the cool down, etc. The problem I have with those methods are that some workouts (like yoga & Pilates) don't spike your HR but you definitely burn calories. Now I'm confused. Can someone help me out with this? lol

Replies

• taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    1. Hit start.
    2. Work out.
    3. Hit stop.
    4. Post to MFP :)
  • hellokatee
    hellokatee Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    1. Hit start.
    2. Work out.
    3. Hit stop.

Agreed. Your heart rate goes up as soon as you MOVE. So start it, exercise, stop it, record it! :happy:
  • Clew
    Clew Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    I start mine as I begin the warmup/stretch and stop it after the cooldown/stretch - or when I'm done doing whatever I'm doing and my heart's pumping somewhat normally again if there's not realy a cooldown/stretch part (like say, a hike or something) ... I guess I never really thought about doing it any other way. :smile:
  • littlecaponey2
    littlecaponey2 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I hit start once the class starts and hit end as soon as the cool down is over. I don't worry about what my heart rate is doing. The point of getting a higher heart rate is to burn calories longer throughout the day. I take those extra calories as a bonus!
  • Edestiny7
    Edestiny7 Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    I start mine as the activity begins. I typically stop it when the activity ends, but sometimes when my heart rate is back into the normal range.
  • ejmcam
    ejmcam Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I start my HRM when I start my workout an turn it off when I am done. My workout is usually 35-45 Minutes of cardio followed by 20 minutes of free weights/floor exercises. I usually note the calories burned once I finish my cardio (for logging purposes) and then I put the rest toward strength training. Sometimes I will subtract about 15-20 calories burned...to accountt for the time that it takes me to refill my water bottle and get to the other end of the gym. But a trainer at my gym told me that I should count those calories because it doesnt really take to long to get your heart rate up and even after I've finished my cardio workout, my body is still burning some calories due to the increased herat rate.
  • myboysmomx2
    myboysmomx2 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    1. Hit start.
    2. Work out.
    3. Hit stop.

I totally agree. Press start when you start moving and stop when you stop moving. That's what it's all about!
  • Ashleypeterson37
    Ashleypeterson37 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I start it at the warm up and stop it when I finish my cool down. Then record.
  • KickassYas
    KickassYas Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    1. Hit start.
    2. Work out.
    3. Hit stop.

LOL!!! this is why i learn so much from you taso :p

yeah this is what i do.
  • DaniJeanine
    DaniJeanine Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    1. Hit start.
    2. Work out.
    3. Hit stop.

-LOL ok, I'm so glad to hear this! I was reading some posts where people were saying they stop it every time their HR goes below 65%! I don't have the time for that kind of regid measurement! lol