vegetarian

Options
im a vegetarian. is this going to affect my weight loss any? I know i need to watch what i eat so I can get the proper vitamins but how may this affect anything else?

Replies

• soccerrox
    Options
    im a vegetarian. is this going to affect my weight loss any? I know i need to watch what i eat so I can get the proper vitamins but how may this affect anything else?
  • may_marie
    may_marie Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    hi there

my biggest problem is getting enough protein ... and sometimes fat too.. so i try hard to eat more of things like yogurt, PB, cheese, beans, meat substitute (high protein ones) ect...

then iron is the other problem, i get dizy spells when i get up sometimes.. so i take a good multi vitamin and make sure i eat some as well.. dont forget that you need vitamin c for the absorbtion of iron..

dont forget vitamin b12, you wont find it in anything but meat, so make sure you eat fortifier soy milk of breakfast cereals. i know fortification is not the best way to eat vitamins but its the only way to get b12..

but no.. being vegetarian wont temper your weight loss.. you just need to keep those things in mind,, when i am not on a calorie restriction, i dont even really have to think about it because then i eat enough calories to make sure i eat all i need..
  • iftcheiaf
    iftcheiaf Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    I try and make sure I get a daily dose of peanut butter and fish in. Eat lots of green vegetables to help with iron. The vitamin B12, still haven't mastered yet. But may_marie gives great advice. I would also recommend getting a blood test every six months and talking with your doctor to make sure you're not missing anything important.
  • DevaFae
    DevaFae Posts: 17
    Options
    Hello! As a fellow vegetarian, I mainly recommend a good multi vitamin. I'm actually taking a prenatal vitamin, not because I'm pregnant, but because of the high iron and B vitamins it has. Also, make sure you are eating enough meat substitutes. If you stop eating meat or anything to replace the meat, you aren't going to get enough nutrients. Plus the fake meat is so much lower in fats!! Anymore, there are so many veggie products out there, you can eat with everyone else and have pretty much the same thing. And no, being a veggie won't harm your chances of losing weight. Its the same concept of working out and lowering your calories. We just eat different foods than most. :wink: