confused

Options
Kdog155
Kdog155 Posts: 3 Member
Hi, I started here on Saturday. I need to lose...at least 43 lbs! Iwas so hopeful and Im trying to understand the "net
calorie thing and find I am supposed to eat sooo much more than I think I ever have and I'm having trouble. However, I'm going for it and I'm exercising and measuring and calculating my portions and feeling positive.
I know its only day3 but I was feeling good and thought I'd sneak apeak at the scale>>>MISTAKE!! I've "gained almost 3 pounds....talk about disappointment....I don't understand. Can anyone help me? I just feel destined to being the overweight one , as usual

Replies

• Setof2Keys
    Setof2Keys Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    water weight possibly. Weigh your food. You may think you're having one portion but you may be having 3 portions. I was shocked and devistated once I started weighing my foods. Got a good digital scale at walmart for $20. I love it.
  • Dellonious1
    Dellonious1 Posts: 209
    Options
    It could be water weight. Or maybe its getting close to TOM (time of month) to start....
    Your body needs at least 1200 calories a day...Add me if you like
  • registers
    registers Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Hi, I started here on Saturday. I need to lose...at least 43 lbs! Iwas so hopeful and Im trying to understand the "net
    calorie thing and find I am supposed to eat sooo much more than I think I ever have and I'm having trouble. However, I'm going for it and I'm exercising and measuring and calculating my portions and feeling positive.
    I know its only day3 but I was feeling good and thought I'd sneak apeak at the scale>>>MISTAKE!! I've "gained almost 3 pounds....talk about disappointment....I don't understand. Can anyone help me? I just feel destined to being the overweight one , as usual
    Don't over eat. If you're fine eating the calories you're eating, then continue to eat at those calories. You have to exercise. The issue is there is a lot of bs in the community. Do what "makes sense" You need a caloric deficit to lose weight, that's it. If you eat, your caloric deficit will be reduced meaning you won't lose as much weight. This is beneficial if people are hungry, sure they can eat back their calories no big deal. If you're not hungry don't eat the extra calories. It's just common sense. With all due respect, I think a lot of people are just brain washed by the media which is giving out inaccurate information to make a profit.
  • JeanneMarie60
    Options
    Kdog155, you must of started about the same time I did. Yes, it is a challenge for me also. According to my calories, I'm not eatting enough, but then when I just do a little mess up there comes a pound around. I too get confused as I'm not going to say I'm afraid to eat, but it seems I look at it and there's another pound. Exercise is a big thing, it's not like I'm sitting, but the wrong kind I guess. Just everyday routine of house cleaning, gardening, lawn mowing, and that kind of exercise, but to kick my heels up I don't really do that. Uusally at night I'm too tired, and during the day I'm busy. And water is my downfall also, I know, I should be drinking more water, but it so easy for me to grab a cup of java. Which I know cause blotting---got to kick some of this habit. Which is hard to do.
  • Kdog155
    Kdog155 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the reply and the perspective...I'm still on my way and its a journey I plan to see the successful end.
    Karen
  • mental_release
    Options
    Welcome Karen! First feel free to friend me.

As for the weight loss...one step at a time. You've setup your account here...good. You know what your calorie budget is...good. Now find an exercise you like. For me, it was simple walking. I don't always like it, but its what I can fit in right now. Nothing major, just little 12min spurts 3-4 times while at work.

A couple of things to watch out for based on *my own experience*:

- Sodium. You may have the correct amount of calories, but lots of sodium. Sodium is salt and salt will have you
    retaining water. i.e. increase in weight. *Don't assume low calorie is low salt!* Example: Subway American
    Cheese is the lowest calories. But 200mg of sodium vs only 30mg in Swiss (which is only 10 calories more than
    the American).

- Don't Starve. I wanted to be below a certain weight by a certain time. I pushed, I limited my calories, and by the time my
    goal deadline arrived, my body was in "starvation mode". The last day I walked over 7 miles just to lose the
    last 0.8 pounds. This doesn't mean eat up your calorie budget, it just means don't go real low either. You're
    body still needs energy.

- Use this site. I don't mean just the tools for counting calories and tracking your progress, I mean the people. Losing
    weight is not easy and the people here are wonderful. They'll support you regardless of what your daily
    hold-up is...trust me...I have many hold-ups besides weight loss! (Hmmm, so you may _not_ want to friend
    me. :) ) Don't hesitate to use the news feed on your primary page to share your thoughts...good or bad. Lean
    on us as we lean on you.

All in all, try and have fun. Weight loss isn't easy, but if it can be somewhat tolerable.... Good Luck!

--MR
  • willimh
    willimh Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info
  • wheelinpony
    Options
    When I started, I gained some weight too. It slowly started shedding itself and I chalk it up to the exercise. Muscles toning up and such. I never made myself catch up all the calories and I am losing at a healthy rate. I am talking only 7 lbs in 4 weeks, but I didn't have a lot to loose and it is steady and something I can see myself keeping off. It is important the times that you eat also to keep the calories burning. Breakfast of course and small meals or snack throughout the day. I'm sure you will figure out what works. Good luck!