where do I go from here

Hello I'm new to the group, I have a Thyroid problem and now My Doctor said Looks like I'm prediabetic what else could go wrong. I'm not young I'm 48 it's already hard to lose weight as you get older and I have a Thyroid problem and now This prediabetic problem where do I go from here .

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    What advice has your doctor given you?
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Don't fall into the myth that it's hard to lose weight because of your thyroid and your age. Those are just excuses. I'm 47 and have a thyroid problem and have a family history of diabetes. I've lost 25 pounds and kept it off for nearly 3 years and am in the best shape of my life. Its not hard--even at our age. Set your calorie deficit, log your food (and be completely 100% honest with your food logging or you're just cheating yourself) and do some sort of exercise, even if it is walking around the block at first. The weight will come off but you have to stay dedicated. Don't give in to the excuses.

Happy New Year! This will be your year if you want it to be.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Barring any doctor's instructions, you need to enter your stats and a modest weekly weight loss goal, get your calorie recommendation, log faithfully, and adhere to your calorie goal. Don't spend a lot of time bemoaning how difficult you think it will be- I did that initially and it's just not necessary. If you eat at a consistent deficit, you will lose weight regardless of your issues. And if you're like me, once you get a few lbs off, you will feel ridiculous that you were viewing 48 as "old"! ;)
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Oops... guess you actually said "not young", but my point's the same- you won't believe how much younger/better you'll feel with some weight off!
  • Thank You